• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 19 May 2017

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Casual Friday - Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord

This HO scene shows a tabletop model of London found in the meeting room of a mysterious crime-fighting group called the Vermillion Watch. I think it’s one of the coolest hidden-object scenes ever, and I want it for my family room right now. Many of the individual landmarks are identifiable, including the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben. (Anybody besides me humming “England Swings”?)

Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord is the first in a recent (June 2016) series from Eipix that may intrigue those looking for something a little different in a casual game. In a gaslight London that includes fictional adventurers ranging from Phileas Fogg (friend) to Irene Adler (foe), you are the latest recruit to the Vermillion Watch as they fight the evil plans of the Red Queen.

After an opening chapter, you have clues to three locations, which you can take in any order, followed by a final chapter. The bonus chapter is not necessary to the storyline, but it provides extended game play that is on a par with the main game, and is the source of our AGSOTD. The rest of the game’s artwork is more like the hand-drawn colored etchings of the Victorian period, with the darkish palette you would expect, and various steampunk flourishes. 

Be warned, there are so many cutscenes and characters you may think you are watching a movie with puzzles in it. Certainly the storyline is as complex as the latest summer blockbuster, if you can imagine a blockbuster with both Dr. Jekyll and Alice’s Wonderland. (Who said League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?) Voiceovers and music are above average, and you still get plenty of gameplay between cinematics.

Now, about those puzzles… This game takes what I think is the best approach to difficulty, in that puzzles vary from easy to super-hard. That way every player gets at least some of what they like best. However, sometimes “super-hard” is not a matter of logic, it’s a matter of 200 tedious steps. There are a couple of those here, which I just skipped. But there are others that were the just-right level of challenge.

Reactions to Vermillion Watch: Moorgate Accord were mixed, from “loved it” to “meh” to “hated it”. It is definitely worth a demo for seasoned gamers, although beginners may feel overwhelmed. A sequel, Vermillion Watch: Fleshbound came out early in 2017, which extends the storyline with more 19th-century characters and plots.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Excellent job, Grasshopper!  Thumbs Up  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

As an AG map enthusiast, I approve of this screenshot!

(Also great job on the AGSOTD - I couldn’t possibly require any more info!)

Total Posts: 5588

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I remember that screenshot, Cluelass, and I remember enjoying the game but had forgotten the details.  I think I’ll replay it before I try Fleshbound.  Thanks for the excellent review.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played the demo and found it intriguing. I like the blend of a historical setting and characters from literature.

I don’t trust the character named Rufus. I’ve had too much experience with Rufuses. I’m certain there’s something surprising that’s just lurking beneath the surface.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Yes, Becky, Rufus struck me the same way (although I like his outfit). Whether he is trustworthy or not, I have the feeling that he is somehow confined to the one room. Perhaps he is a magical/supernatural being, or under a spell.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top