• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How much of a walkthrough fascist are you?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

TerminusEst - 17 May 2017 08:52 PM

That’s Lady Kes to you, commoner!  Tongue

Grin Noted.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Mike the Wino - 17 May 2017 02:56 PM

As others have mentioned, I use them on the rare occasion I get really stuck, for like hours. I know adventure gamers that use walkthroughs all the time, but I hardly think that makes them fascists. What the heck is a “walkthrough fascist” anyway? I certainly wouldn’t want to be branded a fascist just because I might use a walkthrough more often than other people.

Maybe I’m reading too much into the title of this thread. Maybe it was just meant to be silly…  Meh

I think he meant whether you have strict rules for using walkthroughs. I don’t have a problem with using the word fascist to express that.

These days I would say I’m more of a walkthrough anarchist. I don’t really have any rules. I use one if I feel like using it. Sometimes I’m in an impatient mood and will readily look up solutions, other times I feel like a real challenge and go in blind.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

When I resort to using a walkthrough I always try to find a spoiler free one like Universal Hint System. You get several hints and/or clues before being told the solution. There’s nothing worse than accidentally reading a major story spoiler, which completely ruins the rest of the game experience.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

My current policy is the first time I’m “stuck” I look it up. If it was legit, I stop using walkthroughs for that game. If it was bullshit (pixel hunting, makes no sense even in hindsight, I already tried it and the game didn’t register my attempt I’m looking at you Stasis) then I continue using a walkthrough.

Also, some games I go in knowing I’m going to walkthrough a certain part (e.g. Moebius maze sequence).

It used to be AGs were few and far between, so you had to stretch your enjoyment as much as possible. These days, I have a backlog, so there’s no reason for me to spend time on games that think wasting my time (via padding sequence, dead ends, lack of hotspot highlighting etc) is a good idea.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’d rather look it up than quit the game. Walkthroughs can sometimes save a game from being abandoned.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Mikekelly - 18 May 2017 06:59 AM

Walkthroughs can sometimes save a game from being abandoned.

Well yeah, but so can determination. Tongue

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Oscar - 18 May 2017 07:05 AM
Mikekelly - 18 May 2017 06:59 AM

Walkthroughs can sometimes save a game from being abandoned.

Well yeah, but so can determination. Tongue

I totally agree! I disagree using walkthroughs at all. If I stuck then I get stuck. Maybe I come back in a year and have some good thoughts and solve the puzzle, maybe 10 years. Otherwise it is no contest playing a game!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

I really loved Universal Hint System, where you got helpful hints before actual puzzle solutions. Unfortunately, it stopped being updated a long time ago.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

notanumber - 18 May 2017 01:09 PM

I really loved Universal Hint System, where you got helpful hints before actual puzzle solutions. Unfortunately, it stopped being updated a long time ago.

Thanks to the couple of people who mentioned this.

I had never heard of it before and it seems like a really effective way to get tips without ruining the game.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

dumbeur - 17 May 2017 08:56 PM

Grin Noted.

This commoner from New Jersey answers to almost anything as long as you’re not swearing at her.  Wink

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 May 2017 04:00 PM
dumbeur - 17 May 2017 08:56 PM

Grin Noted.

This commoner from New Jersey answers to almost anything as long as you’re not swearing at her.  Wink

Is it ok if we refer you by your real name of Harriet (and I can let everyone else know that you’re a wiz at Angel Food Cake with Seven Minute Frosting!).  Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Bake?  Moi?  I’d rather slave over a hot adventure game than a hot stove any day. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

When I was a kid I used to always use walkthroughs to play adventure games as if they were nothing but interactive movies.  After becoming a teenager I realised how rewarding it was to work out the puzzles on my own and vowed to never use a walkthrough again.

I still remember a time that I managed to complete Hugo’s House of Horrors by GUESSING the name of Roy Rogers’ dog because I was so strict and wouldn’t look up the answer.

However during my play of Riddle of the Sphinx I was stuck for three whole months (playing almost every evening) and after banging my head against the wall I finally gave in and consulted the walkthrough.  It turned out that it was a bug preventing me from rotating a particular item which held a clue on the back of it!

Since then I’ve been so scared of hitting a bug or a dead end that I will now consult a walkthrough after about an hour of being stuck.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I don’t mind using walkthroughs for those really hard, obscure puzzles that make absolutely no sense at all. Puzzles where even the solution is so ridiculous and something I would never have done or thought about. I also suck at any math or measuring related puzzles so chances are I would need a walkthrough for those as well haha.
And then it does happen to most of us I would assume where we’re stuck for ages with no clue what to do next to progress even after clicking on everything in every scene, talking to every character, trying to combine everything with each other in your inventory and using every item on everything and everyone in every scene in the hopes that something would happen but never does, so a walkthrough is the only way forward. Usually I end up kicking myself and facepalming after seeing what I missed or had to do.
I try not to use walkthroughs though.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 May 2017 06:05 PM

Bake?  Moi?  I’d rather slave over a hot adventure game than a hot stove any day. Smile

But, as Harriet, you love baking (assuming that you get the reference of course Smile )

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top