• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia III

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Skywalker333 - 10 May 2017 12:43 PM
Advie - 09 May 2017 05:37 PM

i think the problem so far i read is trying to have this game compatible with all ports and consoles, which is crazy

no i don’t think thats the problem, although I don’t enjoy as much fully 3D adventures due to the ridiculous amount of pixel hunting required.
The problems are all over the place. for example:

-ZERO explanation of how Kate is found dying in the snow.
-ZERO reason for the enemies chasing you. Except if they are the worst caricatures of Nazis ever. I cringed everytime they appeared, it is almost a comedy. Their henchment on the other hand, remind me of bots from Counterstrike (the original!)
-ZERO connection with the previous games, not even a 2min video recap.
-ZERO real reason to go into this journey. In the past u had some reason at least, a journey to find mammoths and a legendary land. here, you are the shepherd taking the snowostriches around…
-Worst cliffhanger ending I’ve seen in an adventure, for absolutely NO reason.

-I know Russians tend to speak to each other using the full name but listening to someone repeat the tittle, surname and name every few seconds is definitely not the way people talk in Russia. I got Russian friends and they saw it and assured me on it!
-Kate is somewhere between the mother/kinder garden teacher and the slave of the Youkols. Miss KateWoker, scrach my nose. Ms KateWokter, wipe my butt. Seriously, a lot of the things that “ONLY” Kate can do for them are ridiculous, if they were that helpless they would have been wiped out millenia ago.

I think a lot of people misinterpret the tone of Sokal games. Syberia has always been close to Tintin tonally. It is a comicbook style you can see it in the way the characters are drawn and how they talk. It is not a serious game. This is even clearer in Syb3 with Captain Haddock/Odo, the villains and the portrayal of other cultures.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Abnaxus - 10 May 2017 05:09 AM
Gabe - 10 May 2017 03:04 AM

Maybe the better if Sokal try a full3d remake but doubt Microids still can manage that properly.

Not every game needs to be remade, the first Syberia still looks beautiful today.

It’s purely depends on the developer if only the ubisoft montreal have the franchise
rights instead of Microids you wouldn’t think that way.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There would be very little reason to remake Syberia 1 or 2 in 3D, as the games themselves wouldn’t really benefit a thing from that unless you’d re-design then to utilise the 3D environment in puzzles and what not. Otherwise, I’d see it a pretty futile attempt, which would most likely be a pretty counterproductive endeavour.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 10 May 2017 01:26 PM
Skywalker333 - 10 May 2017 12:43 PM

i think the problem so far i read is trying to have this game compatible with all ports and consoles, which is crazy

no i don’t think thats the problem, although I don’t enjoy as much fully 3D adventures due to the ridiculous amount of pixel hunting required.
The problems are all over the place. for example:

-ZERO explanation of how Kate is found dying in the snow.
-ZERO reason for the enemies chasing you. Except if they are the worst caricatures of Nazis ever. I cringed everytime they appeared, it is almost a comedy. Their henchment on the other hand, remind me of bots from Counterstrike (the original!)
-ZERO connection with the previous games, not even a 2min video recap.
-ZERO real reason to go into this journey. In the past u had some reason at least, a journey to find mammoths and a legendary land. here, you are the shepherd taking the snowostriches around…
-Worst cliffhanger ending I’ve seen in an adventure, for absolutely NO reason.

-I know Russians tend to speak to each other using the full name but listening to someone repeat the tittle, surname and name every few seconds is definitely not the way people talk in Russia. I got Russian friends and they saw it and assured me on it!
-Kate is somewhere between the mother/kinder garden teacher and the slave of the Youkols. Miss KateWoker, scrach my nose. Ms KateWokter, wipe my butt. Seriously, a lot of the things that “ONLY” Kate can do for them are ridiculous, if they were that helpless they would have been wiped out millenia ago.

I think a lot of people misinterpret the tone of Sokal games. Syberia has always been close to Tintin tonally. It is a comicbook style you can see it in the way the characters are drawn and how they talk. It is not a serious game. This is even clearer in Syb3 with Captain Haddock/Odo, the villains and the portrayal of other cultures.

don’t think thats the case (I also made the obvious connection between Haddock & Odo). And I have quite a good knowledge of Sokal’s style (having played all of his games and read the Inspector Canardo and Silence comics from him). In general, I agree with the similarities to Remi (Herge).
It is just that in this case, the end result is dreadful in the villains, just dreadful.
Everyone makes duds sometime, Sokal’s unfortunately happened while trying to milk an already finished story.

And it is a great pity because the atmosphere is there and the game really wants to bewitch you, but with some many issues and rookie mistakes, it is just not possible.

Less than 30.000 sales on steamspy, with quite a strong (albeit flawed) marketing campaign for an adventure game (I see adds playing in many websites, even non gaming ones). And they were imagining 1.5mil…

On the other topic, if Syberia 1-2 got remade, the Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary would be the way. Redrawn graphics, a bit more streamlined and with all modern gameplay additions (like hotspot indicator) but the same basic gameplay of 3rd person point and click.
On the other hand, I played them recently and I really don’t need them to be remade, I’d be happy if they worked on a new IP under such principles.

With Syberia 3 commiting suicide and Dreamfall Chapters being more of an interactive movie experience rather than an adventure, I am just glad we still see games like Thimbleweed Park. If they had the budget of the afformentioned games, we would see incredible things.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

tomimt - 10 May 2017 01:55 PM

There would be very little reason to remake Syberia 1 or 2 in 3D, as the games themselves wouldn’t really benefit a thing from that unless you’d re-design then to utilise the 3D environment in puzzles and what not. Otherwise, I’d see it a pretty futile attempt, which would most likely be a pretty counterproductive endeavour.

So far adventure remakes realised in a very limited way (simply redrawing hd screens)but some possible remakes offers potential to develop adaptable (eg.hub map,dynamic view point etc.) design and gameplay options.I think Syberia material is just one them same as like Gabriel Knight3.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

some people are asking for refunds, seriously what the hell had happened, i am gonna play itanyway, i won’t take any opinion seriously until i finish it myself..

No one should get refunds.  People never learn and that is their fault.  NEVER buy a game on release unless you don’t mind getting burned.  Wait a few weeks after release and read reviews.  Tons of reviews from all sources.

” i am gonna play itanyway, i won’t take any opinion seriously until i finish it myself..”-  Aaaand, this makes you part of the problem.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

Looks like Syberia3 is the only ag in history manages to get same ratings on both, Pc Gamer and AdventureGamers.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Wow, another trilogy third game with a review that makes you want to avoid it. Sad to see really - now I am just simply going to avoid the game completely now - no matter how inexpensive it becomes.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Because at the moment mixed or negative reviews make the main bulk of the reviews, making Syberia 3 a game that is best left for sale rather than full admission.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Not to mention, some reviewers make absurd comments like:

Syberia 3 brings back, in a very beautiful way, the genre of the graphic adventure.

Which is blatantly untrue, no matter how you slice it.

But pazu123 is right that it is about taste. Mikekelly might like it. I know I’ve liked games with bad reviews.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

123pazu - 12 May 2017 07:07 PM

I know many of you are skipping the game because of the negative reviews, but why only focus on those???  Why not look at the good reviews?  Believe it or not, there are people like me who are liking the game…
And remember Steam does have a refund policy (playtime under 2 hours), so those who are on the fence can buy the game and try it out like demo…

I always read bad reviews, because they are more likely to be critical rather than the lovefest reviews that don’t give any critique and are mostly fluff pieces.  Plus, if a vast majority are negative, odds are that they are right.  There will ALWAYS be people that love crappy games.  Means nothing.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m a bit surprised. I’ve read the AG review, and a lot of the points it raises (backtracking, no hotspot highlighting, contrived puzzles, poor dialogue) pertain just the same to the first game. The only change is the decrease in art quality. Is art quality really worth 3 stars?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The thing about first Syberia is, that it really came out in time when most adventure games were mediocre to poor quality. Among the bad crops, it was a game that stood out despite its own set of issues, so people fell in love with it.

If Syberia 1 would be released today exactly like it is, the reviews it would receive would most likely maul it, as despite I like it myself, I don’t think it’s really a very well designed game nor a game that has really stood time that well.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2017-05-17

PM

Hi everyone:)

Maybe someone will be able to help me…

I have played all 3 series of Syberia and the last one was very hard for me to play.

im playing on my PC and i found it very hard to navigate the character and there is no options to change it.

Played paradise and loved it, cause of character navigation - point and click instead of holding a button to move…

Does anyone can recommend an adveture game similar to syberia 1 and 3rd person perspective with point and click feature..?

I will appreciate help ..Smile

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

diamond1106 - 17 May 2017 01:15 PM

...Played paradise and loved it, cause of character navigation - point and click instead of holding a button to move…

Does anyone can recommend an adventure game similar to syberia 1 and 3rd person perspective with point and click feature..?

I will appreciate help ..Smile

See https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9400/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top