• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Untold Stories. I was put off buying it earlier in the year by the apparent horror theme, but it’s really not a horror game (well, it is in some ways but it’s never horror for the sake of horror). Nor is it a collection of 4 disconnected stories. It is, in fact, a really good and highly inventive adventure game.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I am starting Syberia3 finally
Wish me good luck

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2017-05-15

PM

Embarrassed to say, after 20 years of playing adventure games, I just finished “Beneath a Steel Sky” which I was only aware of for about a year.  Probably because it was a European game. Maybe because it was so recent, but one of my favorites now.

~ Randell Trulson

Have a Super happy dumb fun day!
Randell Trulson

Giggle Horse Games

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Been playing quite a few adv games lately. Last one i finished was the Gabriel Knight 20th anniversary remake. They’ve done a pretty good job i think, but it doesn’t come close to the original. Didn’t really like most of the new voices and the music and cutscenes are all terrible.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Took me long enough but I finally managed to finish Syberia 3 recently. Didn’t mind the game at first, but damn I’m happy it’s finally over. Overall the game was just super boring and tedious and it ran like crap on my pc. Wasn’t a fan of trying to explore the huge, totally uninteresting environments, the dodgy camera, and the long loading times (which there were a lot of).
Also I had absolutely no idea who the bad guys were or why the hell they were chasing after Kate. Don’t know what she did to piss them off so much. Maybe I missed something somewhere but by the end I didn’t really care.

Anyway, ran into one major bug which prevented me from continuing the game for a while as none of the solutions online worked for me, but I managed to solve the problem myself.

Probably won’t ever play this game again. Looks like there might be a 4th game in another decade or two if the ending is anything to go by, but they should’ve just left the series alone after 2.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

In the last month I finished JULIA, Stasis, and Cayne.  All good.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

The Dream Machine - I highly recommend it.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler

It feels more like the first chapter of a game rather than a full fledged one which was probably the intent, but seeing as there is no plan for the continuation of the story, I am not sure what the point of making this game was, or of playing it for that matter. Duke Grabowski fails with its attempt at humor, and the jokes felt forced and unfunny. The VO is good except for a few characters which I believe are those of some backers of the kickstarter. If you want to conduct a kickstarter, don’t let the backers be ingame characters because on average, they are uninteresting and monotone in delivering their lines. Another artifact of the kickstarter are the many wanted signs of the backers ingame. Duke comments about every one if you click on them, and this would have been fine if it was more subtle, and Duke’s comments were funnier. But having Duke give lame comment after another made me just not interested in clicking on them. I think it is a good idea not to throw so much kickstarter content into your game that it becomes a big chunk of the content.

The puzzles are very simplistic for the average adventure gamer. If you do not get stuck, you can finish the game in about one and a half hours.

Overall, this feels like a very tiny slice of a full game, and with its lame humor and very easy puzzles, I do not recommend it.

2/5

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

SoccerDude28 - 28 May 2017 02:19 AM

I think it is a good idea not to throw so much kickstarter content into your game that it becomes a big chunk of the content.

I think it’s a good idea not to have any. I don’t quite understand it. Do people really pay more money to have their names in a game? Why?

I would be far too aware that I would be simply adding another piece of ‘filler’ that no one is interested in, thus reducing the quality of a game whose creation I am helping to fund.

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

just finished dreamfall chapters, there were times that i had a feeling i was playing a cheap knockoff of assassins creed (especially playing with kian) and sometimes the story didn’t make any sense, but it was ok for most of the time and it had some very good voice actors (especially zoe and enu).
I probably will replay it after some time has past and i’m going to make other choices just to see what could have gone differently.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Secret Files Tunguska. Another example of why Germans should be banned of attempting humour in any format. Also, it’s another of those games which remind me of why people started to drift off from adventure games. You just don’t make a puzzle where you need to spy a phone conversation by duct taping a phone on a cat and try to claim it as a solid decision.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Oscar - 28 May 2017 02:50 AM
SoccerDude28 - 28 May 2017 02:19 AM

I think it is a good idea not to throw so much kickstarter content into your game that it becomes a big chunk of the content.

I think it’s a good idea not to have any. I don’t quite understand it. Do people really pay more money to have their names in a game? Why?

I would be far too aware that I would be simply adding another piece of ‘filler’ that no one is interested in, thus reducing the quality of a game whose creation I am helping to fund.

Same here, it does take me out of the experience especially when it is excessively used or anytime I become aware of it. These usually are high tier rewards of 100s of dollars. My guess is they want to give you something really special if you pay a lot. It’s probably much less expensive to have an in game asset for you rather than shipping you something physical.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There are a couple of notable examples of KS backer content in games. Larry Reloaded turned into one, huge Kickstarter joke thanks to a number of people pledging to be in the game. There are characters, and that Fame Stars as well. It ended up reflecting on in a lot of the humour in the game, as besides backers, the KS-based jokes were just too much on your face.

Another is Pillars of Eternity with the KS backer based characters throwing in various locations in the game. The only thing they provide is the ability to mind read backer written mini stories and that really turned some people off the game.

It really is a double-edged sword, as there’s a lot of people who will jump on the possibility to create content for the game, but at the same time, like KS has proven, there’s something like too much backer content.

I think Thimbleweed Park did the backer content reasonably well, though even that brought in some red herrings in a form of items and what not. The phone book was a pretty solid idea as were the book titles and content bits for the library, I think, though those library entries weren’t strictly backers only thing.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Goetia. Wasn’t really my kind of game, but it had a pretty good story. I’m currently in the middle of Syberia 3. Progressing slowly, which is the game’s fault not mine.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Just finished Anna’s Quest. I’d wanted to play it for a while, and finally got it as a consolation prize in Lady Kestrel’s recent tournament. (Thanks again, LadyK!)

And… I don’t know how I feel about it. It’s fine, I guess? I can’t point at anything I disliked, but the game never really “clicked” for me. There was nothing, whether among the puzzles, the story, the characters…, that made me fall in love with it—or even particularly care. It never managed to elicit a reaction from me (either positive or negative). I guess that’s better than being actively annoyed by it?

Actually, one thing did make me react, and not in a good way: that ending. So Winfriede got screwed her entire life and dies tragically, but we don’t give a damn because Anna is finally going to save her non-entity of a grandfather. Yay!

3/5

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top