• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04CaliMonkchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kona - Firewatch in the snow?

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Is anyone playing this investigative thriller released this week?  What I like about it is that it allows you to be a detective and miss things, it isn’t a “find checkpoint and move on” game. It does not have the highest production values but makes up for it in atmosphere and suspense.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Been playing for a few hours and the game sure has potential.  Thumbs Up

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I am not sure if its the same game i checked months back as Canadian simulator

edit

it was

If you guys dig this, be sure to check out Near Death,, i loved it

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Near Death looks too much like a Survival game. The survival parts of Kona are very light, it’s really a mystery adventure game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BitingWit - 19 March 2017 09:45 AM

Near Death looks too much like a Survival game. The survival parts of Kona are very light, it’s really a mystery adventure game.

My buddy who played it says its poor man’s Untildawn and have shooting and fights

wat gives??

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

nomadsoul - 19 March 2017 05:54 PM
BitingWit - 19 March 2017 09:45 AM

My buddy who played it says its poor man’s Untildawn and have shooting and fights

wat gives??

I don’t know what “Untildawn” is. I have not needed my gun so far except to scare off some wolves. Maybe later? Who knows.

I’ve gone off the game a tad since writing OP. Too much searching for hidden objects. Don’t think the open world is needed in my opinion, it would have been better with a navigation like Barrow Hill.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

I saw this game a few PAX’s ago, but completely forgot about it. The launch trailer looks fantastic. Though I’m less interested in the survival bits and more the mystery parts.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

This game is amazing has anyone else played it ? Its like Firewatch but based in Canada and a winter setting, the immersion and atmosphere into the game is something i havent found in adventure game in more modern times aside from The Cat Lady & Firewatch.

Now Playing: Deponia - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Recently Completed: The Cat Lady 10/10 - Gray Matter 7.0/10 - Puzzle Agent 6.0/10 - Still Life 2 3.0/10
Next to Play:
Wishlist
Anticipating: Stasis - Moebius - Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse - Memoranda

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I really enjoyed Firewatch and have been interested in KONA for a while now, so it will most likely be my next investment Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I played it. It’s not much like Firewatch at all. It’s more like Firewatch done by a group of 12 year old kids.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

I played KONA at PAX East 2015, back when it had a different name. Its setting had unrivaled authenticity—it felt like I was trudging through snow up to my knees. The two devs working the booth were both from Quebec and their intimate knowledge of the landscape permeated the game.

I wish more of the world would do what these Canadians did with their game: think local, build global. My experience was wonderful because it was shared by those with great knowledge of the real thing, because very few others could have given me a similar experience. I met some Malaysian game devs last year, and I would love something similar in that part of the world. Or in any part of the world!

I didn’t realize this game had released, and I haven’t played the full version yet. Fair warning: I love walking simulators (see my previous posts RE: Edith Finch). But this game has been stuck in my head for two and a half years. I’m excited to give it a go!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

TheWanderingBen - 10 May 2017 10:37 PM

I played KONA at PAX East 2015, back when it had a different name. Its setting had unrivaled authenticity—it felt like I was trudging through snow up to my knees. The two devs working the booth were both from Quebec and their intimate knowledge of the landscape permeated the game.

I wish more of the world would do what these Canadians did with their game: think local, build global. My experience was wonderful because it was shared by those with great knowledge of the real thing, because very few others could have given me a similar experience. I met some Malaysian game devs last year, and I would love something similar in that part of the world. Or in any part of the world!

I didn’t realize this game had released, and I haven’t played the full version yet. Fair warning: I love walking simulators (see my previous posts RE: Edith Finch). But this game has been stuck in my head for two and a half years. I’m excited to give it a go!

Yes youre really right especially about the “trudging in the snow” feeling, this game is aa fantastic mystery game with light survival elements and really gives you the feel of travelling the cold local climate and dig up stories and learn more about the locals.

Its been a long time a adventure game has gripped me this much, the 2 games mentioned in my earlier post are probably the only ones. Its very similar to Firewatch but has enough elements to distinguish itself apart and find its own identity. The music and narration is absolutely phenomenal, at first the narration voice might feel a bit odd in the beginning, but it really grows on you and fits perfectly into the calm setting/music the game has.

Im a bit gutted at the little attention the game has gotten where it barely has any topics on the steam/gog forums even though its been racking mostly “very positive” reviews on steam, i only found out about it about 20-30 days ago and left it to my wishlist but after playing it 3-4 days ago i couldnt believe how this game was passed from so many review outlets but even more so at this site and just adventure. It really deserves the same recognition Firewatch got, its graphic engine is a bit more rough and the controls are not very intuitive in some parts with key/mouse but other than that it has really nothing going against it and its not really a problem for the genre the game is for the overall experience.

Its a bit of a shame because the developer apparently have scripts/ideas for 3 more games in a similar universe from what i have heard.

Now Playing: Deponia - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Recently Completed: The Cat Lady 10/10 - Gray Matter 7.0/10 - Puzzle Agent 6.0/10 - Still Life 2 3.0/10
Next to Play:
Wishlist
Anticipating: Stasis - Moebius - Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse - Memoranda

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-02-12

PM

I completed the full game: this is definitely a flawed game, but a good one.

You can bet the developers have been a little confused about what to do EXACTLY with their ideas and the game came out as confused as they’ve been.

Still this is an indie game created by young people so I can personally forgive that kind of feeling… Provided the experience as a whole is better than the sum of its parts. And in Kona, I must say it definitely is.

As Ben stated above, there’s a huge immersion factor in the game given the fact that the devs knew for sure how to convey the “Northern Canadian feeling”. So I wandered in the snow for about 8 hours and enjoyed the atmosphere pretty much. This is all that counts about a game sometimes, just be an immersive original experience.

That said, the lack of general polish is clear. The story starts good but vanishes quickly, transforming itself from a good detective mystery into a supernatural horror with little to say (despite the atmosphere is still quite good). Too many red herrings and, all in all, just a decent narration supported by the environment.

Gameplay-wise, Kona is part survival, part adventure, part walking simulator, and none of its parts is good enough. The survival elements are poor (you collect items and weapons but rarely need them… actually, very few action sequences in the game). Puzzles are just key collection tasks besides the wires riddle.
Exploration is just ok, but still the locations are very similar to each other and after a while it becomes a bit boring - luckily the game is short enough to avoid disaster.

In the end I liked the game and hope the devs keeps up with the good work improving polishness and planning.

If good atmosphere is all you look for in a game, Kona plays very good thanks to its environments and astounding soundtrack.

If you can’t bear the general lack of polish of indie games, though, this is Just Another Indie Exploration Game.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The Fidelio Incident - is this the real “Firewatch in the snow”?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 29 May 2017 02:44 AM

The Fidelio Incident - is this the real “Firewatch in the snow”?

Inspirations include Dear Esther, Gone Home and Firewatch as well as dark character dramas like as Homeland, Lost, and The Americans

Its everything , also main character is Stanley , they aint kidding

However Reviews mention some original story about politics of other country
I am interested and will play for that

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top