• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished The Sexy Brutale. I liked it but at the end I feel like it could have been more. The game play peaked at case 5 that felt like the most complex one and after that it was over fast.
On the other hand the ending was perfect, wasn’t expecting it. Fun game, recommended.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 30 April 2017 07:08 AM

I recently completed What Remains of Edith Finch. I would say that if Gone Home is more than the sum of its parts, this is less. There are some spectacular and highly emotional set pieces, and it’s as tight as an interactive narrative experience can be. It just doesn’t quite pay off in the end. Games like this (2 hours game time with linear gameplay and no puzzles) need to be perfect in concept and this one didn’t quite get there.

My pals saying ending made them cry??
Is the story tragic?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wilco - 02 May 2017 05:07 AM

I finished The Sexy Brutale. I liked it but at the end I feel like it could have been more. The game play peaked at case 5 that felt like the most complex one and after that it was over fast.
On the other hand the ending was perfect, wasn’t expecting it. Fun game, recommended.

Yeah, that was the only thing missing. The one big intricate murder where you had to really be on your toes to prevent. That would have made the game perfect.

nomadsoul - 02 May 2017 05:35 AM

I recently completed What Remains of Edith Finch. I would say that if Gone Home is more than the sum of its parts, this is less. There are some spectacular and highly emotional set pieces, and it’s as tight as an interactive narrative experience can be. It just doesn’t quite pay off in the end. Games like this (2 hours game time with linear gameplay and no puzzles) need to be perfect in concept and this one didn’t quite get there.

Is the story tragic?

Yes. I didn’t cry though.

I will say one thing for it, it avoids the monotony of a lot of walking simulators by really vivid imagery and frequent changes of scenery. It’s a very “tight” experience with virtually zero “filler”.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 02 May 2017 06:15 AM
wilco - 02 May 2017 05:07 AM

Yeah, that was the only thing missing. The one big intricate murder where you had to really be on your toes to prevent. That would have made the game perfect.

After the tutorial case, the next 3 cases were kind of the same dificulty only ramping up in case 5 that was a lot of fun following multiple characters, fake clues, getting paswords, timing the route. Wish there was more of that. The last case had an excellent story but I was disappointed that it wasn’t really a case

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Just finished Technobabylon.  For once a game that lives up to the hype!

Compelling story line; perfect puzzle difficulty; great locations and voice acting; interesting characters.

The puzzles left me never quite needing a walkthrough but still stumped quite regularly.

I honestly can’t find a single fault with it (except that it had to end).

And for those who care, Technocrat has recently confirmed that there’s a nascent idea for a follow-up, but given it’s no more than that right now, we’re talking at least a couple of years before we see it.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

Oscar - 02 May 2017 06:15 AM
nomadsoul - 02 May 2017 05:35 AM

Is the story tragic?

Yes. I didn’t cry though.

I will say one thing for it, it avoids the monotony of a lot of walking simulators by really vivid imagery and frequent changes of scenery. It’s a very “tight” experience with virtually zero “filler”.

Hopping on the Edith Finch train. To me, its an expertly crafted work of magical realism, from top to bottom. The colours and forms of the visuals have an almost ultra-real feeling, like they could almost appear in reality, but there’s something more vivid to them. Ditto with the story beats, which start off believable, but slowly drift into misshapen dreams. And just going back to the game’s menu, that music makes my spine tingle.

As with any favourite, there’s also something I love about it that I haven’t yet been able to describe—maybe that I won’t ever be able to. It’s not a perfect game, and your mileage may vary on some of its charm, but hot damn that was the best gaming experience I’ve had this year.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 26 March 2017 06:39 PM

The Wardrobe, tells about a developer who had this game’s idea in his mind mostly since the late 80s and whatever have happened to the genre or the world he was just happy doing it after all those years exactly as like he had dreamt it back then, i am happy for him.. but i wasn’t.

Did I understand correctly that you didn’t like it? Reasons? I was looking at getting it after the favourable review.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Finished Paradigm. One of the funniest games I’ve played in a long time (probably since Monkey Island to be honest). If it’s your kind of humour don’t miss out on this one.

Image Attachments

hygiene.jpg

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished outlast2

Gone is hiding element, its all chase and run simulator with gross and edgy story
Balanced story ,intense hide and seek gameplay from past games ...all gone

Shock value on forced grotesque scenes…they thought if we dial the edginess to 10, it will grab more punterz..in the end cryptic plot gets over in more hamfisted way with more questions just signaling upcoming DLC

Avoid it

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 03 May 2017 01:22 PM

The Wardrobe, tells about a developer who had this game’s idea in his mind mostly since the late 80s and whatever have happened to the genre or the world he was just happy doing it after all those years exactly as like he had dreamt it back then, i am happy for him.. but i wasn’t.

Did I understand correctly that you didn’t like it? Reasons? I was looking at getting it after the favourable review.

i dont know, i think i now more open to new ideas; I like New KQ, Dreamfall, Firewatch, Silence even Inside.. but adventures that are still trying to compete with the 90s scene are not really up my alley, maybe i am having change or just a phase that will go away i dont know, and people here didnt like Memoranda and you too so you shouldn’t take my opinion as sumthing to hold you back from trying it.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Henke - 07 May 2017 04:05 AM

Finished Paradigm. One of the funniest games I’ve played in a long time (probably since Monkey Island to be honest). If it’s your kind of humour don’t miss out on this one.

Agree. Glad to see someone else appreciating this gem!

Advie - 07 May 2017 12:11 PM
Oscar - 03 May 2017 01:22 PM

i dont know, i think i now more open to new ideas; I like New KQ, Dreamfall, Firewatch, Silence even Inside.. but adventures that are still trying to compete with the 90s scene are not really up my alley, maybe i am having change or just a phase that will go away i dont know, and people here didnt like Memoranda and you too so you shouldn’t take my opinion as sumthing to hold you back from trying it.

Me not liking Memoranda much was not about the 90s feel. I just like good puzzles and story which I thought weren’t there. It is hard to compete with the classics, but some are doing it.

Try Paradigm, I think you would like it. It reminded me of Space Quest.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I finished Sexy Brutale today and WOW. The ending is just staggering. I totally didn’t expect it! I must have sat there afterwards for half an hour not believing what I just saw. Amazing, fascinating and mindblowing.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

JULIA Among the Stars.  Really enjoyed it, especially the second half, except for one “puzzle.”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BitingWit - 08 May 2017 07:36 PM

I finished Sexy Brutale today and WOW. The ending is just staggering. I totally didn’t expect it! I must have sat there afterwards for half an hour not believing what I just saw. Amazing, fascinating and mindblowing.

Unanimous praise , need to try it soon
Sleeper hit might be Goty AG?

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Parascientific Escape: Gear Detective

Had some interesting gameplay mechanics where you could time travel to precise moments and spots to manipulate objects. To bad that this was only used for “escape rooms”-puzzles and the story was not particularly engaging. I managed to get a bad ending simply by choosing the wrong answers by accident at least half of the time during my playthrough.

The Dream Machine: Chapter 6

Terrific game. Now that it’s finished no one has an excuse to not play it.Crazy

nomadsoul - 09 May 2017 05:43 AM

Unanimous praise , need to try it soon
Sleeper hit might be Goty AG?

It’s really great.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top