• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 10 October 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Isn’t he adorable?

So after years of seeing people arourd here fawning over the Legend games and yelling at me for never having played any of them, I decided it was time I gave that company a shot. I picked Death Gate because I remembered people being passionate about it during the Top-100 and starting a riot (well, a 3-person riot) when it failed to be included in the list.

I’ve just started the second world (Pryan?) and so far I’ve been tremendously enjoying it. I’m not sure what the gameplay does so right, but it just works fantastically well for me. And the variety of the locations is a huge plus as well. The game does talk far too much for my taste, but I’ll let that slide. I’m already sad that it’s going to have to end at some point. Meh

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Good for you! Another Legend fan is born. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Zifnab approves! This is probably my favorite Legend game along with Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, and both are in my Top 10 or 20 of all time.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I also agree. Death Date is a great, very enjoyable Legend game (still, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon is way better). Unfortunately, I think that nowadays it might be a little bit difficult for someone to find it (this applies to most Legend games).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Legend… Frown

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Death Gate and Callahan’s belong to my favourites as well! Love the mesh of pictures/story told with text that got lost when games became more and more focused on graphics…

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Looks interesting… my list of games to play gets longer and longer every day.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 10 October 2012 08:17 AM

I’m already sad that it’s going to have to end at some point. Meh

Never mind - when it does end, you can play Companions of Xanth which very similar and almost as good. And after that, you can check out Callahan’s, Gateway, Timequest and all the other excellent Legend games.

In fact I’m starting to envy you having all that in front of you Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

skeeter_93 -

Looks interesting… my list of games to play gets longer and longer every day.

I know how you feel. I had Callahan on my list, but now it seems I’ll have to add Death Gate, Companions of Xanth, Timequest, Gateway, Eric the Unready and Mission Critical as well…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, I’m done with Death Gate. That was very good game, although the ending spoiled my enjoyment of it quite a bit, since (1) the final puzzle relies on some completely random piece of information that you are somehow supposed to remember from much earlier in the game and (2) the ending scenes consist of an ugly 30-second 3D cutscene followed by 2 paragraphs of text on a black background—this really doesn’t do the game justice.

Also, the game pulling a Big Bad out of nowhere 90% into the story (Sang-Drax) felt a bit cheap and disappointing. I felt that it robbed the story of the confrontation between Haplo and Lord Xar that it had been building to, and which would have been much more interesting.

Still, it was generally a great experience and I’ll definitely be trying to work my way through the list of Legend games as time permits.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top