• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Bot attack?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I wonder whether we are under attack from site bots looking for content.

A new Adventure Game Scene of the Day post rarely receives more that 300 views. I logged on today and saw that my last Casual Friday post as well as Oscar’s last Friday post are logging well over 2000 views!

Not that I wouldn’t be excited if this newly-found enthusiasm for our posts was legit. But I don’t believe that is the case. Just wondering what is really going on.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Really? Nobody has an answer for what is going on?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Sorry missed your post on the 2nd of April. Looking into this now, in Google Analytics I see no spike in visitors actually, beyond normal weekend traffic spikes. Sunday doesn’t seem different.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I wasn’t referring specifically to visitors. I was referring to the enormous overnight spike in the number of views some posts were getting.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 04 April 2017 02:46 PM

Sorry missed your post on the 2nd of April. Looking into this now, in Google Analytics I see no spike in visitors actually, beyond normal weekend traffic spikes. Sunday doesn’t seem different.

Same thing happened a few weeks ago in the thread Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster. I commented on it. http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9181/P435/#130888
and
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9181/P450/#130892

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There seems to be no rhyme or reason. The last four Friday AGSotD posts show extreme spikes. One is over 3000 views. The last two Saturday posts show nothing unusual…yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Sometimes other sites or forums link to pages, which increase their popularity when lots of people click on them. It’s nothing to get excited about.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

BitingWit - 04 April 2017 11:34 PM

Sometimes other sites or forums link to pages, which increase their popularity when lots of people click on them. It’s nothing to get excited about.

That can’t be the only reason. I find it very hard to believe that a *text adventure* playthrough with only 5 participants gets more than 206836 views total. Way too high. For a while there were almost a thousand views in just one or two minutes and then all of a sudden the frenzy was over. See the link in my previous post.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Who cares? It’s probably just a bug in the awful forum software.

But more importantly: who cares?

(Or is there a revenue-sharing system on these forums? Are posters getting paid based on how many views the threads they start get? Otherwise: Who cares???)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kurufinwe - 05 April 2017 05:42 AM

Who cares? It’s probably just a bug in the awful forum software.

You don’t want people to post about something you find trivial, uninteresting, boring or unimportant. 

But more importantly: who cares?

I got your message the first time. No need to repeat it.

(Or is there a revenue-sharing system on these forums? Are posters getting paid based on how many views the threads they start get? Otherwise: Who cares???)

I got your message the first time. No need to repeat it again.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I agree it’s odd. What I was pointing out with visitor numbers, is that it’s visitors that generate views, I don’t see a spike in visitors (beyond around Thimbleweed Park’s launch, but that has nothing to do with this).

So, all in all, I have no idea. I don’t see this reflected in other numbers, could be this weird software acting up or some other weird bug.

Finally, why are you always so salty to each other. Hardly needed. It benefits no one.

Ivo

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Maybe someone’s web browser crashed and kept reloading the same page over and over? Someone with a broken F5-button???

Possibly just a bug or software acting up. Not necessarily on AG’s side, even…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, since the current Friday AGSotD is registering around 150 views, I think the problem has gone away.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It was a curiosity, never a problem. A page view is not an “attack”, whatever the reason.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Jackal - 10 April 2017 10:05 PM

A page view is not an “attack”, whatever the reason.

You never know! Those role playing gamers are a strange and jealous lot, they may have been trying to take down adventure gaming by some weird stealth tactic.

Yum

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Crash our server by spam-viewing a forum thread? Nefarious!  Naughty

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top