• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Things you can go with/out (or not) 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Since it seems that adventures are divided into different tastes these days (which was never the case before) i thought this thread could be useful to express how each of us feels about these little elements/features that (s)he can go without or with and can not go without

There are things that i can go without in adventure very easily and others unlikely but yet possible.

What i can go without*[1]:
High Graphics, always pixel adventure did it for me, and that could never change.

Voice acting but not as easy as the first line, i need to make sure that a game is worth it before i start it.

as for those that i can’t go without*[2] actually is only one thing for me, Puzzles, and that doesn’t have to do with how much they are represented thru an adventure as long as they are smart enough.

at last what i can go with*[3]:
deaths and backtracking, i definitely can go with them, they are very welcome and come to think of it maybe this is why i didn’t hate Inside with its 100s of deaths over and over.

hope its not confusing as feel they could be a bit.

*[1]can go without: nice to have but yet i will play any adventure without it.
*[2]can’t go without: must have and not a chance to play it if was not featured.
*[3]can go with: a turn off to have but yet would play it along/anyway .

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 24 March 2017 11:10 AM

(which was never the case before)

Are you sure about that?!? Smile

I could go without first-person slide-shows, pixel-hunting, dead ends, casual-like HOG puzzles. Although none of them would make me not a play a game.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 24 March 2017 11:24 AM

I could go without first-person slide-shows, pixel-hunting, dead ends, casual-like HOG puzzles. Although none of them would make me not a play a game.

positive, we all agreed on what was an adventure not so long ago, our greatest diversion was 1st/3rd Person or Lucasarts vs Sierra.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 24 March 2017 11:37 AM

positive, we all agreed on what was an adventure not so long ago, our greatest diversion was 1st/3rd Person or Lucasarts vs Sierra.

No, we most certainly did not agree. Myst was a watershed. Myst was divisive. There were 1st-person adventures before Myst, but it’s the Mystian *concept* that so many people abhorred and they complained that Myst wasn’t a real adventure game. Worse, many people maintained that Myst and its “clones” actually KILLED the real adventure games.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 24 March 2017 09:21 PM
Advie - 24 March 2017 11:37 AM

No, we most certainly did not agree. Myst was a watershed. Myst was divisive. There were 1st-person adventures before Myst, but it’s the Mystian *concept* that so many people abhorred and they complained that Myst wasn’t a real adventure game. Worse, many people maintained that Myst and its “clones” actually KILLED the real adventure games.

i see your point, honestly, but as the saying goes, time usually softens big matters, and actually it did, with the time that passed by no one accused Myst of being that kinda diversion anymore, things were settled on for years, maybe two decades, or maybe a little less.

and as i said our greatest diversion was about if adventures were 1st/3rd person, i mean i didn’t neglect your point from the start or given it more that it weighted, but look at the genre now, those great matters are starting to be some sorta ‘trend’, each in a while a new game fits thru the gaps of the genre then crack it in two, three four..etc pieces, what is/was once one solid, sometimes they are left behind (those pieces) without much of a 2nd look.

the genre’s umbrella now is such a stacker, where it could fit many things we might never be thought it could be able to, and come to think of it, it is for the better, or at least better than being tiny and unnoticeable, the only fear is if this stacker could hold and stretch more or it would freeze and explode with too many matters unsettled before new things always hump in..
and so as we speak Wilco have had actually made a nice diversion here for this thread Smile Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 25 March 2017 07:46 AM

i see your point, honestly, but as the saying goes, time usually softens big matters, and actually it did, with time passed by no one accused Myst of being that kinda diversion anymore, things were settled on for years, maybe two decades, or maybe a little less.

These quotes are all from different people after 2005:

Myst Creator Closes Doors

“I have to say that I’m glad.

They pretty much killed the adventure game genre. Before Myst, we had great adventure games from Sierra, LucasArts and a few other companies. Granted, they escaped the notice of the general population, but when Myst came along and became super popular, it became fixed in the minds of the populace as the definition of what an adventure game is supposed to be, and REAL adventure games were automatically regarded as ‘too complex’, and now it is nearly impossible to get them published (Sam & Max 2 and Full Throttle 2, anyone?)”

“Good Riddance. That’s all I can say about this. Maybe someday the computer adventure genre will recover from the damage that Myst did to it, but I would be very surprised if it happened.”

I am going to be honest—and, not to be a troll—but I never could figure out the excitement engendered by the Myst games. They seemed like a slide-show with puzzles, to me, and I hold them partly responsible for the deterioration of the genre.

The game that killed a genre

“Before Myst, adventure gaming was a vibrant genre, full of fantastic, living worlds with intriguing characters, story-based puzzles, and witty dialogue. Highlights of the era range from Infocom’s early Zork games to graphical masterpieces Secret of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorceror.
After Myst, adventure games described drab, dead worlds with no characters whatever, utterly nonsensical “logic” puzzles, and the occasional monologue.

Not actually an adventure game

This is a puzzle game, very simply. You walk from one puzzle to another, and solve all of them until you win the game. If you like hard-core puzzle games, this may well be for you. If you prefer your puzzles with more in the way of logical progression and purpose, or even a story—an adventure game, say—this is simply not an adventure game. Anyone expecting an adventure is likely to come away sore disappointed.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Pah, everyone knows it was Sierra who killed the Adventure genre with their flashy animated graphics, pixel hunts and arcadey sub-games. Real Adventures are all about the text, of course.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 27 March 2017 04:50 AM

Pah, everyone knows it was Sierra who killed the Adventure genre with their flashy animated graphics, pixel hunts and arcadey sub-games. Real Adventures are all about the text, of course.

so do really think?
all the reasons that killed seem like the one that gave birth?(graphic adventuring)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 27 March 2017 06:09 AM

so do really think?
all the reasons that killed seem like the one that gave birth?(graphic adventuring)

Come on, Phlebas is joking of course.
There should be a Cracked article by now called “10 games that killed the adventure genre”...

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

wilco - 27 March 2017 06:19 AM
Advie - 27 March 2017 06:09 AM

so do really think?

Come on, Phlebas is joking of course.
There should be a Cracked article by now called “10 games that killed the adventure genre”...

Absolutely. I remember when adventures meant text, and I remember people being sniffy and sceptical about whether these graphical “adventures” really counted. OK, OK, I remember being sniffy and sceptical about whether these graphical “adventures” really counted. The Sierra games that had parsers didn’t have very good ones, graphical interfaces are necessarily less expressive in many ways (see a nearby thread on inventory puzzles, for instance), and some of what they added detracted from the focus and quality of the games.

But without those we wouldn’t have King’s Quest 6 or Monkey Island or any of the great games that followed. Of course I can appreciate that different people like different styles of games, and the Myst style isn’t for everyone. But when someone says that Myst (or David Cage or Telltale or whoever) ruined the genre, I basically hear the same voice I heard back in the late 80s.

There’s space for different styles of games within Adventure, and I’m much less concerned by overt innovations and branches than by examples like Syberia that encourage poor design in games that could otherwise have been wonderful.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

oh, ok wilco. Phlebasis a serious man its hard to say when he is not Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top