• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games with Quality writing

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Is there any game in last 10 years which has really good writing and plot?
Like something that completely makes your jaw drop??
Something that is comparable to good TV show or games like Witcher3 ???

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Witcher2 writing quality better than 3.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 16 March 2017 11:50 AM

Witcher2 writing quality better than 3.

Okay
But i am figuring out in Adv genre, if i missed some top writing

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

nomadsoul - 16 March 2017 12:41 PM

Okay
But i am figuring out in Adv genre, if i missed some top writing

For you it’s highly unlikely.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Not sure what sort of “writing” you mean, but if comedic counts then IMO “Ben There, Dan That” and its sequel are masterpieces of comedic writing.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I thought “Gray Matter” was well written and had an interesting plot.

Also Gemini Rue and Kathy Rain.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Life Is Strange.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I thought Goetia was the best written adventure game in recent memory. Surprised it didn’t win any aggie awards.

Also Kentucky Route Zero, really great writing.

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

BitingWit - 21 March 2017 10:35 PM

I thought Goetia was the best written adventure game in recent memory. Surprised it didn’t win any aggie awards.

Also Kentucky Route Zero, really great writing.

Actually Goetia did win Best Story at the Aggies this year.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/32193/page2

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller had good writing and lots of plot twists and turns. Moebius was a bit cringeworthy but was a fleshed out story.

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Supplementman - 22 March 2017 09:58 AM

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller had good writing and lots of plot twists and turns. Moebius was a bit cringeworthy but was a fleshed out story.

I would agree with Cognition. Moebius not so much.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

Night in the Woods.

It’s not really an adventure game, you’re mostly just going through the city, interacting with people and objects. No puzzles, no combat - just lots of exploration, clever commentary and tons of awesome discussions.

If you want some real-life issues in your game, but presented in a playful and contemporary manner, you can’t afford to miss this.
Now, the main story if nothing to write home about, but it keeps you invested and most of the time you’ll be too busy enjoying the heck out of your time with the characters anyway.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

80 Days was thoroughly fantastic. A great example of decent gameplay being lifted by excellent prose.

Similar to Night in the Woods, I thought Oxenfree had writing that made characters feel genuine. Plus many of your decisions have relationship consequences, especially early in the game, which was very satisfying.

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I second Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller and Gemini Rue. You may also want to check out Moebius: Empire Rising, too. Some people hate it, but I really enjoyed it. It’s Jane Jensen’s work after all. *fangirl*

My own recommendations are:

-The Blackwell Series (Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, Deception, and Epiphany)
Rosangela Blackwell is a bestower, a person who guides lost souls to the afterlife. The games get longer and even better throughout the series. It’s like a good TV show, as you wanted, and one of the few games series that made me feel sympathy for at least one of the villains. Play it and you’ll see why. It’s actually the one series that pushed Gabriel Knight from #1 of my list of favorite mystery adventures.

-Resonance
An interesting Thriller with sci-fi elements. I thought it was a bit short, but it sure isn’t bad.

-The Lost Crown
A mix of treasure hunt and ghost story, where you sometimes have to read between the lines to get more than the obvious part of the plot. Not jaw dropping but intriguing and really good. It’s currently #3 on the list of my favorite mystery adventures.

-Richard & Alice
A story about family and survival in a postapocalyptic world.

-Désiré
A colorblind boy just wants to see colors at least once in his life.

-To the Moon
Not really a classic adventure, but a wonderful story about a dying man’s life and his last wish.

Those are the best adventure stories I’ve played in the past ten years. It gets even more if you lower your standards below The Witcher 3, but these should suffice for the moment.

There are some adventures I’ve heard great things about, but I’m just playing them myself, so I might get back to this thread in a couple of days. Unless somebody else can tell you anything about them. The games I’m talking about are Kathy Rain (already recommended), Shardlight, The Last Door, Goetia (also already recommended), Dead Synchronicity - Tomorrow Comes Today, and Technobabylon.
Until then have fun with the other recommendations in this thread.

One final hint: Keep an eye on this year’s releases. There are some promising games among them, even storywise.

Isn’t it funny how most of the greatest adventure stories of the past few years are from rather new developers, not from the veterans of the industry?

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2017-04-13

PM

Gemini Rue - absolutely agree.  Fantastic, classic sci-fi noir story.

I loved Technobabylon as well, another excellent Wadjet Eye title.

Shardlight received some mixed reviews but I thought the characters were excellent (great voice acting helped).  In particular, Amy, the protagonist and the eccentric aristocrat, Tiberius were very memorable.  The combination of a post-apocalyptic world with an overlay of 18th-century French Revolution culture was pure genius in my opinion.

I am biased here, being the developer, but Neofeud is a very story- and character-centric game that recently came out in the past few weeks.  It takes place in a dystopic science fictional setting and deals with fairly adult themes including police shootings, institutional racism, child snatching, on top of a plot-twist-filled conspiracy caper, layered with political intrigue similar to Game of Thrones.  Neofeud also explores the impact of advancements in cybernetics, artificial intelligence, and sentient machines on people and society as a whole.  Neofeud speculates that these machines wind up not conquering us or bringing us into utopia, but simply becoming the new underclass, the minorities, who are discriminated against and thrown into the ghetto.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top