• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I wondered about that too. My only “plausible” explanation is they were not infected with the exact same virus as they would have been if a person had sneezed on them while they were standing side by side. Rather the girl who survived was infected by a slight variant/mutation of the same virus that killed her sister. It was not so different that it would prohibit her from providing vaccine information, but just different enough that she lived.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

rtrooney - 01 March 2017 08:45 PM

I played and finished Infected - The Twin Vaccine.

No review. I liked it, even though the theme is somewhat dark. The ending was not to my liking. How did Marty save the world while dying, when the science teacher survived to participate in another game? I guess we will have to wait for the next game for the answer to that question.

So Tim, did you play the SE or CE version? How about you, chrissie? I just finished the SE and was wondering if the CE told the rest of the story, since it looks like a sequel isn’t in the offing. Sad.

BTW, I checked the Gogii website, and the only contact info they have is a web form for hiring them to (I assume) develop games….

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the SE version. I ran out of credits and only got CEs of MotW and the Surface game. I may watch the CE bonus on YouTube as there seem to be some unanswered questions.

I phrased my statement on the game wrong. I know that because it has been misinterpreted. I know how Marty died and why he sacrificed himself. My question was how he and the science teacher, who was standing less than twenty yards from Marty when he talked with the detective, didn’t reach the same fate. Nobody can run that fast.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mike the Wino - 07 March 2017 04:19 PM
rtrooney - 01 March 2017 08:45 PM

I played and finished Infected - The Twin Vaccine.

No review. I liked it, even though the theme is somewhat dark. The ending was not to my liking. How did Marty save the world while dying, when the science teacher survived to participate in another game? I guess we will have to wait for the next game for the answer to that question.

So Tim, did you play the SE or CE version? How about you, chrissie? I just finished the SE and was wondering if the CE told the rest of the story, since it looks like a sequel isn’t in the offing. Sad.

I only played the SE Mike but just quickly browsed through the bonus chapter on YT that you get in the CE. It does seem to be a prequel that focuses on Marty trying to find his daughter & doesn’t seem to answer any questions at all!

rtrooney - 07 March 2017 04:13 PM

I wondered about that too. My only “plausible” explanation is they were not infected with the exact same virus as they would have been if a person had sneezed on them while they were standing side by side. Rather the girl who survived was infected by a slight variant/mutation of the same virus that killed her sister. It was not so different that it would prohibit her from providing vaccine information, but just different enough that she lived.

I find that theory quite a difficult one to be quite honest Tim.
Out of curiosity I did some research to see whether identical twins from a medical/scientific point of view could be distinguished. It turns out that even twins have different fingerprints & also that very modern but complicated DNA analysis has on occasion shown up an additional attachment in the genetic code of one twin. Very hard to spot & therefore so far most criminals who happened to have an identical twin have not been convicted of,  in many cases, quite serious crimes.
For the game’s purposes that slight difference would have to be the key to a vaccine. 

rtrooney - 07 March 2017 04:31 PM

My question was how he and the science teacher, who was standing less than twenty yards from Marty when he talked with the detective, didn’t reach the same fate. Nobody can run that fast.

Sorry, I did misinterpret you!
The SE version ends with a narration from whom I believe was Carl due to that awful ‘laugh’! One theory I have is that as the science teacher he perhaps unwittingly created the virus? which is why he was so helpful, also he didn’t sound too well himself so was willing to die? So therefore he didn’t survive as we really don’t know what his fate was. 
Alternatively, he guessed what was coming & built himself a nuclear fall-out shelter underneath the trains? but why would he stick around? 

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

furgotten - 14 January 2017 09:03 PM

The best games I played in 2016 are:
Enigmatis 3: Shadow of Karkhala
MCF: The Broken Hour
Parallels Cross
Dead Reckoning: Death Between the Lines
Facility 47

I started playing the demo for Facility 47 sometime last year but gave up as I found it too hard for a CG. I resumed it today, had to use the hint a lot but ended up buying the full game with a coupon code! I liked the story but I particularly liked trying the optional text adventure ‘Arctic Escape’! I tried, got frustrated & then just got on with trying to finish the regular game. But I wanted to pursue it so I whizzed through the game again to get to it & realised that it was just a text version of what you had done already which made it slightly easier. I didn’t finish it as I eventually got bored but enjoyed it up to that point but it did seem to be quite an innovative aspect to include actually in any visual game!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Played Enigmatis 3 and Dead Reckoning. Only played the MCF demo, and didn’t care for it that much. Facility 47 sounds interesting. What about it is un-casual? That sounds intriguing to me. We played Emerald City Confidential as a CCPT, many thought of it as “Adventure Lite” and not casual. Even though the designer said he was forced to “dumb down” the lite adventure because the people who were paying the bills thought it was too hard.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For no reason other than the descriptions seemed interesting, I downloaded the demos of Mystery Tales - The Hangman Returns and Midnight Calling - Valeria. Both are SE demos. Will report back with opinions.

It has been a long time since we had our last CCPT. I’ve mentioned this many times. Still haven’t seen anyone step forward to start/run it.

Is the concept dead? Or is everyone waiting for me to cave, and resume the role?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

It has been awhile since I have played Facility 47 but I seem to remember that it was a little rough around the edges in that there was not much handholding. No sparkles, interactive cursor, or anything like that. There was a hint system. I don’t remember any hidden object scenes; if there were any they were few. Not sure it was long enough or hard enough to be considered a “real” adventure game. Keep in mind I really like science fiction and even a bad one will still get points with me.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 13 March 2017 06:28 PM

Facility 47 sounds interesting. What about it is un-casual? That sounds intriguing to me.

Absolutely nothing & I wouldn’t even consider it Adventure-Lite. It played as a very haphazard (which is what made it difficult) but typical CG albeit with no HO scenes with the redeeming feature of having an interesting story set in the ‘real world’! 

furgotten - 14 March 2017 12:19 AM

It has been awhile since I have played Facility 47 but I seem to remember that it was a little rough around the edges in that there was not much handholding. No sparkles, interactive cursor, or anything like that. There was a hint system. I don’t remember any hidden object scenes; if there were any they were few. Not sure it was long enough or hard enough to be considered a “real” adventure game. Keep in mind I really like science fiction and even a bad one will still get points with me.

I agree with furgotten’s description but will just add that I found the hint system to be very good & well-needed!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the demo. I agree with both evaluations. There were no HO scenes. At least there weren’t in the demo. The hint system is excellent, but the whole game seems to have been put together in a rather haphazard manner. Why would you expect all the needed gears to be dispersed to five separate and unrelated locations? The amount of walking became tiresome very quickly. Other than the basic premise of the game, finding a cure for a disease while stranded at a remote Antarctic station, nothing was really enjoyable to me. Back to the premise, the whole setup reminded me of the move The Thing.

Edit: I will definitely say the game is different. I am currently playing the demo of Midnight Calling - Valera from Elephant Games. And I can definitely sat that it is NOT different. It is the same cookie-cutter story that I’ve seen in virtually every game they’ve put out in the last two or three years. It gets tiresome.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I ended up buying and playing Midnight Calling - Valeria. I wasn’t really excited about it, but I had a coupon.

It wasn’t as bad as I expected, but it wasn’t great either. Excellent graphics. Good voice acting. Music and effects would be overpowering if I didn’t turn them down to 35%.

Premise is that a once-beautiful world has been turned into a numbingly-cold environment. You have been summoned by your grandmother to set things right. It seems that your cousin believes he is the cause of his parent’s accidental death. and his attempts at finding a magical way of resurrecting them has unleashed forces that are causing the climactic problems. Your objective is to set things right.

Simple enough! Turns out that your cousin, the antagonist, is named Tim! I thought that perhaps this was a clever way of taking the player’s name and inserting it into the game. Remember seeing your name in Angelica Weaver? Nope. The designers at Elephant Games actually named their antagonist Tim. Not sure I like being an antagonist.  Naughty

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

rtrooney - 22 March 2017 03:39 PM

I ended up buying and playing Midnight Calling - Valeria. I wasn’t really excited about it, but I had a coupon.

It wasn’t as bad as I expected, but it wasn’t great either. Excellent graphics. Good voice acting. Music and effects would be overpowering if I didn’t turn them down to 35%.

Premise is that a once-beautiful world has been turned into a numbingly-cold environment. You have been summoned by your grandmother to set things right. It seems that your cousin believes he is the cause of his parent’s accidental death. and his attempts at finding a magical way of resurrecting them has unleashed forces that are causing the climactic problems. Your objective is to set things right.

Simple enough! Turns out that your cousin, the antagonist, is named Tim! I thought that perhaps this was a clever way of taking the player’s name and inserting it into the game. Remember seeing your name in Angelica Weaver? Nope. The designers at Elephant Games actually named their antagonist Tim. Not sure I like being an antagonist.  :devil:

It doesn’t sound all that good but, frankly, not many of them do right now. Pretty much the same thing over and over. i will probably buy Darkness and Flame: Born of Fire on the next sale but I wish there was something I could really get excited about.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Once again the thread has slipped to the 3rd page. I accept responsibility this time. Nothing quite as bad as the United Airlines fiasco, but still a problem.

Trouble is….for the first time in I don’t know how many years I have three solid regular adventure games sitting on my desktop. I currently playing Viktor. Thimbleweed Park and STASIS are waiting in the wings.

Anyway, I alsoi just fiunished playing Mystery Tales - The Hangman Returns. It was the SE version. You play the role of a paranormal detective who is hired to solve a series of bizarre murders. The murders all look like they were suicides. And they have all involved people who work for, or are associated with a publishing house. There is also a thread that ties them together, and it is a recently-written, but yet-unpublished book.

The subject of the book is a biography of a little-know hangman. I don’t exactly know how it happened, but, apparently the writing of the book has resurrected the spirit of the hangman. The hangman fervently believes that his chosen vocation was just, and that the people he put to death deserved their fate. The game doesn’t state whether that belief is justified by the facts.

Nevertheless, part of the hangman’s backstory is that was somehow related to the death of his wife and young daughter. He believes that by causing the suicides of the people associated with the book, (which, I guess equals murder,) he absorbs their spirits. By doing this he will be able to resurrect both himself and his daughter. Why he didn’t want to resurrect his wife is not stated. (My guess is that she was a nag who wanted him to get a job as an accountant. So while he can’t get along without his daughter, he can get along without the wife.)

This is a rather grim game. You do see people jump off buildings, get incinerated, electrocute themselves, etc. You get the picture. But this is all done in such a “campy” way that you don’t mind it as much as you ought to.

Naturally this “resurrection thing” is doomed to failure. Otherwise you wouldn’t be the paranormal detective you are reputed to be.

There are HO scenes, but they are varied enough that they don’t seem to be everywhere. The puzzles are quite good. I think I used the skip button about five times. Three times because the puzzles were solvable, but I didn’t want to waste the time going through the gazzilion steps it would take to solve them. I skipped the other two because I didn’t understand what I was supposed to do. In retrospect, the instructions were totally unclear on one puzzle, and I simply misread them on the other.

Music - good. Graphics - good. Voice acting and sound effects - good. Nothing was excellent, but nothing was bad enough that it detracted from the game. The game has an interactive map which does come in handy. There is a room that has three exits, but only one will take you to a location where you can access a pier. The map saves much needless wandering when you can just click on the map’s “Pier” location.

Mystery Tales - The Hangman Returns is a very nice game. The only downside is that it is relatively short. I would say 3 1/2 hours would be what it would take an average gamer to finish. The result is that, by the time you are finished with the demo you have finished about a third of the game.

Buy it, but buy it on sale.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just posting to get this back on the front page. Am currently playing two new casuals, in addition to trying to finish of my three new adventures. One is a new Mystery Case Files that is produced by EIPIX. Black Veil is the name. So far, it looks quite good. Will report back when I have more information.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 30 April 2017 11:29 PM

One is a new Mystery Case Files that is produced by EIPIX. Black Veil is the name. So far, it looks quite good. Will report back when I have more information.

I downloaded the demo as I’m always interested in a new MCF game to find it very familiar - on checking I realised I’d bought the CE in March!
I’d be interested in your thoughts Tim as I didn’t remember as it is so far my least favourite MCF game.  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top