• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Citizens on Patrol - A Police Quest Playthrough

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Following up on the Sierra year long playthrough it’s time to slowly tackle one of the big series - Police Quest.
I’m pretty sure I played one of games long ago (3 or 4) but never really finished it.
Seems to be the least discussed Quest series. As always feel free to join in or just talk about the series

So, without further delay, Police Quest - In Pursuit of the Death Angel

And, let’s get this out of the way

Edit: Errrr, not starting very well… can some mod please move this from chit chat to the adventure forum? Thanks!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The police quest manual is so boring with all those police procedures and codes… I guess it will be needed during the game. It does fit in some jokes

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You’re welcome!

I have the Police Quest collection CDs.  Do you know if they’ll play in ScummVM?

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I have the Collection CD as well. PQ2 is one of my only big prime Sierra gaps (in addition to most of QFG series), and PQ3 I only played through once, 23 years ago. I’m looking forward to the nostalgia trip on that one.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Uh, PQ!
i already finished the three James Walls parts, i guess you already know that, Wilco, but not really interested in replaying the fourth really, and i can’t replay what i just replayed, but i recommend that you play the PQ1VGa it takes out some of the frustration the original has. especially the Strategy and the Simulation parts, but again i am not sure since you play other genres than the adventures, you may like them Laughing

P.S: never enter the Jail with your revolver on, you might get angry and shoot some muthafucka? (not sure if thats why, but remember this tip) Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 13 March 2017 06:22 AM

P.S: never enter the Jail with your revolver on, you might get angry and shoot some muthafucka? (not sure if thats why, but remember this tip) Tongue

Thanks for hint but now I’ll have to check out what happens Smile
I’m going to start with the original version, if things get too boring I’ll jump to the VGA

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Easter egg spotting:

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ah, Police Quest. It’s not the best designed game ever and Walls definitely wasn’t the best designer around even in the 80’s. It is interesting game though, mostly because it’s even now pretty unique, mostly because it gives a point of view to police work that differs greatly from what cop shows or other police themed games would like you to think police work is all about, which is mainly explosions.

I did write longer thoughts about PQ1 to my blog.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

PQ is the best Sierra series and the most underrated. Thanks for playing, hope you will post many pictures of the game and your progress.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, 1st report. i’ve been transferred to Narcotics. So far, so good. I thought the game would be very procedure heavy after reading the manual but things are mostly quite simple. The only annoying stuff was that car routine check before leaving but I already knew about it from forum comments. It can get boring with all the routines of open/close door; get to the station; take a bath; etc but I found to be quite different from the usual adventure themes and the different violations were fun.
The only down part is he driving that while not hard requires full attention because of those pesky traffic lights and chasing cars can get tricky. Lots of restores but that’s typical in these Sierra first games.

Well, Al Lowe certainly worked on the game

Space Quest easter egg

Are random strip shows also part of a cops life?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Did you try to take off your clothes at the police station in other rooms other than the locker room? That’s an another Al Lowe touch.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 15 March 2017 10:08 AM

Did you try to take off your clothes at the police station in other rooms other than the locker room? That’s an another Al Lowe touch.

“An interesting approach but fatal” - Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 13 March 2017 06:22 AM

I tried it, apparently if you go inside with a gun he decides to attack you when you uncuff him? Weird

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Yeah, the game is in love with space whale aesops, you die a supposedly deserved death for every deviation from police procedure.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 15 March 2017 12:34 PM

Yeah, the game is in love with space whale aesops, you die a supposedly deserved death for every deviation from police procedure.

Eheh, the flat tire if you don’t do the routine car check is the worst example of that but most of it is pretty balanced so far. Handcuff the drunk in front - get punched; don’t call back up - get shot, etc.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the first game, the Narcotics part was good, stake out, a drug bust, collecting evidence to get a warrant, dressing up as a pimp with our girlfriend Sweet Cheeks (lol). Pretty entertaining. Also interesting that you never get to fire a gun, maybe Jim Walls probably wanted to make sure the police work is not about shotting bad guys, etc. I agree with tomint’s review on his blog, it is surprisingly one the most narrative-driven game of the start of Sierra series. There isn’t much exploration in here, the player is pretty much guided to the next plot point.

And now I present the real final bosses of the game:

Parking the car in Hotel Delphoria…

Climbing these final stairs… Nearly lost my mind only to find out they are can+t be climbed without the keypad with a diagonal direction… which by laptop doesn’t have… had to change to a desktop. What is it with Sierra old games and stairs…?!?

There’s also room for some death screens jokes

And on to Police Quest 2. I thought about playing the VGA version but having to drive around and playing poker again… Maybe later

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top