• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 6 October 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Who is the boss of you?

To be honest, the only Zork game I’ve ever really managed to get into was Nemesis (which is probably the least Zorky of the lot). But I recognize that Grand Inquisitor is a very good game, even if I’m a bit uncomfortable with (what I see as) its inability to pick a tone and stick with it.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Shun magic, and shun the appearance of magic! Shun everything - and then shun shunning!

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Zork Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor are the only Zork games I like with Nemesis my favorite.

“I shall call you ageless, faceless, gender-neutral, culturally ambiguous, adventurer person. AFGNCAAP for short.”

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 October 2012 11:12 AM

But I recognize that Grand Inquisitor is a very good game, even if I’m a bit uncomfortable with (what I see as) its inability to pick a tone and stick with it.

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by “its inability to pick a tone and stick with it”. Care to explain?

And what a terrible screenshot! Taken from the black-and-white intro. It doesn’t do justice to the game at all.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

No citizens over, or under, the age of 18 may appear on, or in, the streets after curfew is in progress. Violators of Inquisition curfew may be intimidated, incarcerated, lacerated and/or masticated if time permits and the weather is fine.

Further violators of curfew will be threatened with smitting, then smitten. Once smote, further smitation and subsequent resmitation will commence until the smittee is deemed to be sufficiently smit by the smitter

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

inm8#2 - 06 October 2012 12:00 PM

Shun magic, and shun the appearance of magic! Shun everything - and then shun shunning!

Lucien21 - 06 October 2012 03:18 PM

No citizens over, or under, the age of 18 may appear on, or in, the streets after curfew is in progress. Violators of Inquisition curfew may be intimidated, incarcerated, lacerated and/or masticated if time permits and the weather is fine.

Further violators of curfew will be threatened with smitting, then smitten. Once smote, further smitation and subsequent resmitation will commence until the smittee is deemed to be sufficiently smit by the smitter

Are these quotes from the game?  Heart Eyes

*bumps the (partial) replay of Zork: Nemesis and the first playthrough of Zork: Grand Inquisitor forward in his list of games to play*

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 06 October 2012 06:19 PM

Are these quotes from the game?  Heart Eyes

Floss regularly! Floss meaningfully! Floss athletically!

*bumps the (partial) replay of Zork: Nemesis and the first playthrough of Zork: Grand Inquisitor forward in his list of games to play*

YES!  Thumbs Up ZGI is one of the best 1st-person humorous adventures. They don’t make them like that anymore. Oops!

But don’t forget to play the Last Express.  Innocent

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 06 October 2012 06:27 PM

Floss regularly! Floss meaningfully! Floss athletically!

Heart Eyes

They don’t make them like that anymore. Oops!

But don’t forget to play the Last Express.  Innocent

As a matter of fact, I placed both Zork games just after The Last Express now. Thumbs Up

The Tex Murphy series got bumped back as a result, though…  Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 06 October 2012 07:06 PM

The Tex Murphy series got bumped back as a result, though…  Meh

You give me a great comfort - you’re the only one worst than me when it comes to classics still to play Grin It’s gonna be a long winter…

Oh yeah, ZGI is great. Need to finish it. The second best sidekick in an adventure game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 06 October 2012 07:23 PM

You give me a great comfort - you’re the only one worst than me when it comes to classics still to play Grin It’s gonna be a long winter…

I know. I used to think I was a pretty experienced adventure gamer until I discovered this site quite a few years ago. My list of games to play has expanded with 400% since then.
And since joining the forums it’s expanded another 5000% or so… Meh

So many games to play, so little time…

diego - 06 October 2012 07:23 PM

The second best sidekick in an adventure game.

Who’s the best sidekick in your opinion? Or was this a “second biggest monkey head I’ve ever seen” kind of reply? Tongue

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 06 October 2012 07:31 PM

Or was this a “second biggest monkey head I’ve ever seen” kind of reply? Tongue

Grin Yeah, and actually, it feels safer to say “second” without thinking who is the first. That would be a hard question. Like, we can’t compare Dalboz to Dr. Watson, they’re entirely different characters, but we could perhaps compare it to Arthur from The Journeyman Project who is very similar to Dalboz. Those who like sarcasm will like Dalboz more, but Arthur is even more talkative (in truth, they’re both sarcastic and talkative).

But I gotta say, out of recent titles it’s probably Froderick (AVS) and Spot from TWW, who is quite similar to Boogle in Torin’s Passage. Flux in Toonstruck is another great one.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 06 October 2012 03:15 PM

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by “its inability to pick a tone and stick with it”. Care to explain?

What I mean is that one minute it’s a farce full of ridiculous characters and over-the-top acting, the next minute it’s a fantasy adventure that’s humorous but still wants its world, story and characters to be taken somewhat seriously, and then it’s a solitary first-person adventure with some pretty clever puzzles, and then we’re back to the farce and the characters who don’t feel like real people at all, etc.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I really should get around to actually trying out a Zork game. Which one would be ideal to start with (minus any of text adventures)? Is there an overarching story throughout the franchise so you have to start from the beginning, or is the only thing in common throughout the world the appearance of grue (grues? gree?).

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 October 2012 10:25 PM
Fien - 06 October 2012 03:15 PM

What I mean is that one minute it’s a farce full of ridiculous characters and over-the-top acting, the next minute it’s a fantasy adventure that’s humorous but still wants its world, story and characters to be taken somewhat seriously, and then it’s a solitary first-person adventure with some pretty clever puzzles, and then we’re back to the farce and the characters who don’t feel like real people at all, etc.

I’m not being provocative or obnoxious (well… at least, not more than usually), but I still don’t know what you’re talking about. For me, the entire game is a lovely farce, parody, whatever. Solitary?? Oh come on! You meet a new character every few minutes and you have Dalboz at your side. And how do clever puzzles clash with the nice over-the-top acting? The setting of an Inquisitor who rules our beloved Zork universe may sound somewhat serious or even grim to someone who hasn’t played the game, and the very first part, wandering around after curfew, has a slightly Orwellian feel to it, I’ll grant you that. Is that what you mean? But even the totemization process is great fun. Maybe you should give examples. Or maybe I should shut up about it.  Meh

Looking forward to:

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 07 October 2012 01:11 AM

I really should get around to actually trying out a Zork game. Which one would be ideal to start with (minus any of text adventures)? Is there an overarching story throughout the franchise so you have to start from the beginning, or is the only thing in common throughout the world the appearance of grue (grues? gree?).

I figure they’re all pretty stand-alone, so it doesn’t really matter where you start. That’s why I’m only going to play Nemesis and Grand Inquisitor.

But this question should really be answered by someone who’s actually played all of them…

Also, I don’t remember the grue being present in Nemesis. But I only got about three-quarters far in it before being stuck and eventually giving up (pre-internet). A grue could still make an appearance near the end-game, though.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 07 October 2012 01:11 AM

I really should get around to actually trying out a Zork game. Which one would be ideal to start with (minus any of text adventures)?

Check this.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top