• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Steam Greenlight Program Cancelled

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

According to Valve, they are cancelling the Greenlight program, and replacing it with Steam Direct. Steam Direct will allow developers to submit their game to Valve directly for a fee (not mentioned how much yet, but it can be as low as $100 and as high as $5000).

I am not a big fan. I am just worried that if Valve makes the fee of submission too low, they are gonna be like the Apple store, full of shovelware and crappy titles. If they make it too high, it will prevent some amazing games from getting on the store. I understand Greenlight wasn’t working, because devs were manipulating the results by offering free game codes and such, but if your goal is to control quality, is the solution to open your doors to everybody?What do you guys think?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 15 February 2017 12:55 PM

According to Valve, they are cancelling the Greenlight program, and replacing it with Steam Direct. Steam Direct will allow developers to submit their game to Valve directly for a fee (not mentioned how much yet, but it can be as low as $100 and as high as $5000).

I am not a big fan. I am just worried that if Valve makes the fee of submission too low, they are gonna be like the Apple store, full of shovelware and crappy titles. If they make it too high, it will prevent some amazing games from getting on the store. I understand Greenlight wasn’t working, because devs were manipulating the results by offering free game codes and such, but if your goal is to control quality, is the solution to open your doors to everybody?What do you guys think?

It was inevitable and believe me there is plenty of junk on steam already
as well as on PSN

Smile

Also just in time with your post

Nails all

edit

that steam rel % from 2013 to 2016
dang

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

First post here, although I’ve been hanging around for years.

Here’s a couple of good articles with video interviews in the Katoku article:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/valve-taps-wisdom-of-crowds-to-help-filter-steam-games/

http://steamed.kotaku.com/valve-says-theyre-making-big-changes-to-steam-to-stomp-1793968423

The Explorers idea could work if there is a decent cross section of different genre gamers. Not so sure about the Curators role - could be recipe for a lot of monkey business. I still have a lot of questions.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top