• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games for the Halloween season?

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

Hey all,

I’m looking for adventure games (or other genres with strong adventure elements) that have a premise fitting of the Halloween season.  Scary games, but also games that just feel like they belong in the fall/Halloween category.  I’m not a fan of first person games, especially ones with static environments, but would try them if they’re THAT good, as you can see a couple on my list below.  I also prefer games modern enough that they have voiceovers since I’ll be playing with the fiance and reading is a pain when playing with someone else.  Again, they don’t have to be strictly horror, but just have a Halloween or fall season theme or feel to them…....

Some examples I’ve played include:
Still Life I & II
Alter Ego
Resident Evil Series
Silent Hill Series
Lost Crown
Phantasmagoria I & II
Thersia
Yesterday
Transylvania
Alpha Polaris
Gabriel Knight Series
The Black Mirror Series
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
Maniac Mansion I & II
Shadow of Destiny
Overclocked
Sanitarium
Grim Fandango
Heavy Rain
Noctropolis

Games I am considering playing include:

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Dark Seed II (can’t find the first one anywhere)
Fahrenheit (darn controller issues keeping me from playing)
Amnesia
Penumbra
Midnight Nowhere (having issues installing)

Games I considered but decided not to play - mostly based on the first person perspective:
Scratches
The Dark Eye
Dark Fall
Dracula - Resurrection
Anna
Dark Secrets

Are there any I’m missing?  Any recommendations?  I LOVE to play games based on season (I do the same with television shows as well), so will be playing and watching Halloweeny-type games and shows all month.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I’m sorry,I don’t understand the reason for this post since you yourself wrote a huge list with all the adventure or adventure-like horror games.What are we supposed to add?You posted 90% of the adventure horror games or so.

Am I supposed to say Resident Evil?It doesn’t have that much of adventure clues.Resident Evil and Silent Hill have a lot of puzzles but are not considered games similar to adventure.

I mean look at that,you ask for Halloween season games and you just write a huge list with most of them.Kind of pointless don’t you think?

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The only 3rd-person games I can think of are Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice. But I don’t need to recommend them to someone with your nickname.

Foinikas - 05 October 2012 06:16 AM

You posted 90% of the adventure horror games or so.

Ninety percent?? No way! Here, let me add a few to the OP’s list of 1st-person games they’ll never play:

Bad Day on the Midway (recommended) - Dracula 1, 2, 3 (#3 recommended)- Dracula Unleashed (interactive movie) - Necronomicon - Gothos - Amber: Journeys Beyond - Barrow Hill - Rhiannon - Darkness Within - The Blackstone Chronicles (recommended but very cruel and disturbing) - Shivers 1, 2 - and many more…

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jack in the Dark - spin-off by Infogrames of Alone in the Dark fame. Never played it, but it actually occurs on Halloween night.

A Vampyre Story and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island.

The Quivering?

Goosebumps?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I think you and Fien have most of the territory covered. One thing you’re missing are the Last Half of Darkness games - the most recent three are particularly good (Society of the Serpent Moon, Tomb of Zojir and Beyond the Spirit’s Eye). You might also want to try Clandestiny, a nice ‘spiritual sequel’ to 11th Hour.

I would also recommend Infogrames’ Alone in the Dark and Jack in the Dark if you don’t mind a sprinkle of action, as they are absolute classics. The Goosebumps adventure Escape From Horrorland has a very halloween feel, though I can’t guarantee you’ll be scared Wink

And if you don’t mind text instead of graphics you should definitely play Infocom’s The Lurking Horror.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Diego, the Quivering is a humorous 1st-person game. I played it for about half an hour, don’t remember if I liked it or not.  Meh

Oh yes, the Lurking Horror! And the great text adventure Anchorhead is also a tribute to Lovecraft.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

every year I play the scavenger hunt game. It is aimed mostly for children, but, I enjoy it too.  http://www.garfield.com/fungames/scavengerhunt/scavengerhunt.html

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Costume Quest Tongue

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I don’t know if Dracula Origin counts…but it’s a good game.

Actually I am a horror game’s lover and I could suggest A LOT of them but you seem to want only the adventure ones or the ones that are too close to adventure.

Still you can try Call of Cthulu Dark Corners of the Earth.

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

John Saul’s Blackstone Chronicles might fit the bill if you don’t mind outdated graphics and like Foinikas mentioned, Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE.

Also Cryostasis is a pretty decent fps with horror overtones as is The Thing (minus the fps element).

Amnesia though is the real winner.  If you haven’t played it, it’s a must!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

I’m sorry,I don’t understand the reason for this post since you yourself wrote a huge list with all the adventure or adventure-like horror games.What are we supposed to add?You posted 90% of the adventure horror games or so.

Am I supposed to say Resident Evil?It doesn’t have that much of adventure clues.Resident Evil and Silent Hill have a lot of puzzles but are not considered games similar to adventure.

I mean look at that,you ask for Halloween season games and you just write a huge list with most of them.Kind of pointless don’t you think?

Well for one, despite my large list, I’m sure I’ve missed quite a few great games over the years, so thought the forum members here could clue me in on those I may have overlooked.

In addition, I thought it would be great, after searching and not finding a similar thread, to collect a list of these types of games in one place….....and the list I posted is my own addition/contribution.

I think it would be rather pointless to ask the question and NOT relay to the forum members which games I had already played, resulting in them simply rehashing those on my list, which would inevitably happen…....and be useless to me…...

And finally, listing those I played and enjoyed and those that I chose not to try gives the forum members a good idea of the types of games I’m looking for.  I thought it would be helpful…....

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

Fien - 05 October 2012 07:30 AM

The only 3rd-person games I can think of are Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice. But I don’t need to recommend them to someone with your nickname.

You posted 90% of the adventure horror games or so.

Ninety percent?? No way! Here, let me add a few to the OP’s list of 1st-person games they’ll never play:

Bad Day on the Midway (recommended) - Dracula 1, 2, 3 (#3 recommended)- Dracula Unleashed (interactive movie) - Necronomicon - Gothos - Amber: Journeys Beyond - Barrow Hill - Rhiannon - Darkness Within - The Blackstone Chronicles (recommended but very cruel and disturbing) - Shivers 1, 2 - and many more…

Thanks for the suggestions!  I HAVE played those Lovecraft inspired games YEARS ago.  Should have added them to my list.  I’d love to play them again, and am glad you reminded me of them.  At the moment I’m looking for games with voiceovers to play with the fiance, however.  I don’t remember, are those strictly text or are they new enough to contain voiceover?

Regarding the first person games you mentioned…....I’m not a fan of first person, especially those with static environments, but if they come very highly recommended I’d always give them a look and might even try them out.  As you can see on the list I’m considering for this Halloween season there ARE a couple first person games there, so don’t be afraid to list them…...just denote them as such.  Smile

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

Zifnab - 05 October 2012 07:58 AM

I think you and Fien have most of the territory covered. One thing you’re missing are the Last Half of Darkness games - the most recent three are particularly good (Society of the Serpent Moon, Tomb of Zojir and Beyond the Spirit’s Eye). You might also want to try Clandestiny, a nice ‘spiritual sequel’ to 11th Hour.

I would also recommend Infogrames’ Alone in the Dark and Jack in the Dark if you don’t mind a sprinkle of action, as they are absolute classics. The Goosebumps adventure Escape From Horrorland has a very halloween feel, though I can’t guarantee you’ll be scared Wink

And if you don’t mind text instead of graphics you should definitely play Infocom’s The Lurking Horror.

I had forgotten all about AitD!  That was one of my absolute FAVORITES back when I was young.  I agree, it was the inspiration for Resident Evil and a wonderful game.  No, games like that with some action are fine, so list away!  By the way, I thought it was a real shame the series went bad after the first game.  I remember being completely disappointed with #‘s 2 and 3….....and don’t even get me started on the reboot from recently!

And no, I don’t mind text adventure suggestions, just denote them as such when you list them.  I grew up playing text adventures like “The Count”, “Pirate’s Cove”, “Zork”, etc.  As you can see, I listed a text adventure (with static graphics as well) called Transylvania on my list.  It was for C64, and a GREAT Halloween game if anyone is interested and wants to pick up a C64 emulator.  I won’t be playing text adventures this Halloween since I’m looking for games to play with the fiance and reading with two people playing is a bit of a pain, but feel free to add them to the list…...I’ll check them out at a later date for sure!

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

mbday630 - 05 October 2012 08:01 AM

every year I play the scavenger hunt game. It is aimed mostly for children, but, I enjoy it too.  http://www.garfield.com/fungames/scavengerhunt/scavengerhunt.html

I’m a big Garfield fan, so thanks for the suggestion.  I’ll be sure to check that out!  Smile

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

Foinikas - 05 October 2012 08:18 AM

I don’t know if Dracula Origin counts…but it’s a good game.

Actually I am a horror game’s lover and I could suggest A LOT of them but you seem to want only the adventure ones or the ones that are too close to adventure.

Still you can try Call of Cthulu Dark Corners of the Earth.

I’m open to anything that has adventure elements to it.  Cthulhu is perfect for the list.  I consider games like Fallout 3 to be adventure-themed, so that should give you an idea of what is acceptable.  Just be sure to denote the game as “action/adventure” so other people looking at the list that don’t enjoy that style will be aware it isn’t a pure adventure.  Thanks!

Joined 2010-12-05

PM

Stonez - 05 October 2012 12:07 PM

John Saul’s Blackstone Chronicles might fit the bill if you don’t mind outdated graphics and like Foinikas mentioned, Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE.

Also Cryostasis is a pretty decent fps with horror overtones as is The Thing (minus the fps element).

Amnesia though is the real winner.  If you haven’t played it, it’s a must!

Yes, I’m thinking that Amnesia may just be my first choice this year despite the first person element.  Especially since I can’t seem to get Midnight Nowhere to run properly on either of my PCs OR my laptop.  Darn thing freezes at the point when you click “new game” every time….....I think it’s the first game I’ve even given up on without being able to get it to work….....

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top