• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 4 February 2017

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Safecracker (1997)

You have applied for a job as chief of design and development at Crabb & Sons, a manufacturer of safes.  Instead of an interview, Crabb tells you via a phone call that you must open all 35 safes in the Crabb mansion in order to prove your worthiness for the job,  Of course, the gate to the mansion is locked, so your first task is breaking into the grounds, and from there you encounter safes of every description that require all kinds of puzzling skills.  Clues abound in the mansion, many in the safes themselves, and there’s a map to help you get oriented.  There are also some fun surprises as you get closer to your goal.

Some of the puzzles were intuitive and fairly easy for me, and some were quite challenging.  One of my favorites was having to assemble Botticelli’s The Birth of Venus by rotating slightly different parts of the painting on a wheel to build the correct image.  However, another puzzle concerning song titles on a jukebox had me flummoxed until I found a clue in an unexpected place.  The screenshot shows the kitchen in which you have to coordinate three thermometers with different scales in order to open the refrigerator safe.  The game is a puzzle lover’s delight, and I had a great time with it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I really enjoyed this game and have fond memories of it. It’s every puzzle lovers dream come true to crack safes in a huge mansion Smile

Lady K, have you played it’s spiritual successor released in 2006. I played the original and was wondering if the 2006 version was any different?

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

No I haven’t played the newer one, Sir B., because it was never ported to the Mac.  Moby says it’s similar.  You’re hired by a family to search for the will of their late rich relative hidden somewhere in his mansion.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t like the look of that large green timer on the top left. Is the whole game on a timer?

I played the 2006 version and enjoyed it a lot.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, but I think it gives you 20 hours, which is more than enough time to complete the game.  I took my time, and the indicator never even got down to half.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 04 February 2017 10:06 PM

It’s not a 2006 “version” of the 1997 game, it’s a totally different game by a totally different developer with totally different puzzles. The one thing they have in common is… wait for it… SAFES!

PS: I’ve played both Safecrackers.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Karlok - 04 February 2017 10:22 PM
Oscar - 04 February 2017 10:06 PM

It’s not a 2006 “version” of the 1997 game, it’s a totally different game by a totally different developer with totally different puzzles. The one thing they have in common is… wait for it… SAFES!

PS: I’ve played both Safecrackers.

Thanks for clearing that up Karlok! I had just assumed it was a rerelease due to compatibility issues on newer systems at that time with maybe a couple of new puzzles added. Therefore I never really looked in to it nor dug any deeper so in time I forgot all about it, until now. 11 yrs later lol! Looks like I’m gonna have to find me a copy and give it a go Smile

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’ve played both Safecrackers.

Which one is better in your opinion?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 05 February 2017 07:02 AM

I’ve played both Safecrackers.

Which one is better in your opinion?

I prefer the more recent one by Kheops. Beautiful graphics, no glitches or hiccups, and most of the puzzles were fairly easy. But both games have hard puzzles as well.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Safecracker (2006) it is, then.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The 1997 Safecracker was speed-sensitive. The inventory was a scrolling list, and by year 2000 there were computers that were “too fast” and instead of scrolling down the list, they would instantly scroll to the end so you couldn’t access most items. Someone made a patch called scfix that allowed you to use the right-click button for scrolling through inventory. But eventually computers got too fast for even the scfix right-click method to work properly and the game became unplayable. There may be some way to get it running on a modern computer, but I don’t know it.

I don’t know if the Mac version was also speed sensitive.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The last time I played it was on my Snowball iMac, which has Classic. I noticed a slight speedup of the list but nothing that wasn’t manageable.  I doubt the game would play on the newer Intel Macs.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

This game had some parodies of other adventure games on the computers. One of them was Jellied in Slime: The Really Smutty Travel Adventure written in the Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time font and eventually asked you to insert CD #12.

There was also one about Myst which was called Pysst, by Magenta.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This game is mentioned in my new Friday post.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I was able to find/buy a copy of Safecracker(2006) It took me the past 2 days to figure out how to get it to run on windows 10. Finally got it to work and it runs flawlessly. Let’s just hope the puzzles are as challenging as that was lol!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sir Beardalot - 10 February 2017 10:05 PM

I was able to find/buy a copy of Safecracker(2006) It took me the past 2 days to figure out how to get it to run on windows 10. Finally got it to work and it runs flawlessly. Let’s just hope the puzzles are as challenging as that was lol!

I’m interested in your opinion. I have this urge to replay it. Smile Let us know how you like it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top