• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gog releasing some old adventures

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nice to see gog actually releasing some good old games again.

Lost Eden and it’s cool soundtrack was released the other week from the Cryo library

Today was Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist. Hope they keep digging into that Sierra/Activision vault

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Looks like that’s the CD version which has less dialogue. I wonder if they could be encouraged to include the floppy version. I remember at least one specific joke excluded from the CD version.

Anyone know why they make it Windows only? Doesn’t DOSBox work fine on Macs too?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

That’s good news. It was especially ridiculous that many of the Sierra adventures got re-released (on both GOG and Steam) ages ago, but a few were left out for no clear reason. Freddy Pharkas is a shit game, but if its re-release paves the way for the Laura Bow and Conquests series’ (and others), then that’s great.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Venkman - 02 February 2017 01:54 PM

Looks like that’s the CD version which has less dialogue. I wonder if they could be encouraged to include the floppy version. I remember at least one specific joke excluded from the CD version.

I’ve just downloaded it & you have a choice to play either the CD or floppy version.  Smile

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

Kurufinwe - 02 February 2017 01:58 PM

That’s good news. It was especially ridiculous that many of the Sierra adventures got re-released (on both GOG and Steam) ages ago, but a few were left out for no clear reason. Freddy Pharkas is a shit game, but if its re-release paves the way for the Laura Bow and Conquests series’ (and others), then that’s great.

My guess would be it’s probably a rights issue, that Sierra didn’t have rights to absolutely all of it and the developer still had some, or something like that.

I still want Monkey Island 3/4 released on Gog <3 Also Carmen Sandiego but that’s not Adventure games

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

... is a shit game, but if its re-release paves the way for the Laura Bow and Conquests series’ (and others), then that’s great.

They’re already playable with ScummVM. Check the compatibility list.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

zobraks - 03 February 2017 02:01 AM

... is a shit game, but if its re-release paves the way for the Laura Bow and Conquests series’ (and others), then that’s great.

I made my first posts on this forum explaining to someone how to run Sierra games on DOSBox. I don’t need GOG to do it for me. The reason why I want those games rereleased is so that more people get a chance to experience them.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

ScummVM and DOSBox are all very well and wonderful, but they only help if you have access to the original game. Being able to get them (legitimately) without having to track them down on ebay is good news!

(though it seems a bit mean of them to list Lost Eden as “From the makers of Dune”.)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Phlebas - 03 February 2017 07:14 AM

(though it seems a bit mean of them to list Lost Eden as “From the makers of Dune”.)

What? Dune is great! They could also have used another good one - “from the makers of KGB”. Hope both get added soon but doubt it, specially Dune because of rights

Anyone know why they make it Windows only? Doesn’t DOSBox work fine on Macs too?

Don’t know why they don’t throw a Mac version for these, maybe more work but it’s annoying since the installer doesn’t work without a workaround (used Wineskin a couple of times) to get the files and then use Dosbox. Doesn’t take much time but I wish they just added a Mac installer (or at least just zip the game files and not use their installer)

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

wilco - 03 February 2017 09:43 AM

What? Dune is great! They could also have used another good one - “from the makers of KGB”. Hope both get added soon but doubt it, specially Dune because of rights

Exactly - saying “From the makers of this great game THAT YOU CAN’T HAVE” seemed a bit mean!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Phlebas - 03 February 2017 10:25 AM

Exactly - saying “From the makers of this great game THAT YOU CAN’T HAVE” seemed a bit mean!

Oh, totally misunderstood it, well, at least Megarace is there Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yeah, Dune is one of those games that I wish more people had played. It’s an underrated masterpiece. I really hope they can sort out the rights for this game.

Don’t know why they don’t throw a Mac version for these, maybe more work but it’s annoying since the installer doesn’t work without a workaround (used Wineskin a couple of times) to get the files and then use Dosbox. Doesn’t take much time but I wish they just added a Mac installer (or at least just zip the game files and not use their installer)

Yeah, I always wondered that, it seems that just having a zip file and instructions on how to use it with dosbox or scummvm would be easy enough for them to do…

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 February 2017 04:11 AM
zobraks - 03 February 2017 02:01 AM

I made my first posts on this forum explaining to someone how to run Sierra games on DOSBox. I don’t need GOG to do it for me. The reason why I want those games rereleased is so that more people get a chance to experience them.

If you’re worried that people don’t have the chance to experience Laura Bow and Conquests, I wouldn’t worry too much. There are abandonware sites offering both (and Dune as well). Not that I’m endorsing those sites, just saying that if one wants to play them, they can.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

we dont say that word; starts with ‘Ab’ and ends with ‘re’ here at this Village

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

BitingWit - 03 February 2017 11:46 AM

If you’re worried that people don’t have the chance to experience Laura Bow and Conquests, I wouldn’t worry too much. There are abandonware sites offering both (and Dune as well). Not that I’m endorsing those sites, just saying that if one wants to play them, they can.

I think that people who would download it from there are more likely to be people who know those games rather than people who are just browsing Gog after seeing games they like…

And Dune, Conquest of the Longbow and both Laura Bow games are really great game that are underrated and that I would love people to discover.

It’s true though that people who follow scummvm’s compatibility list are at least more likely to play them than before.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

chrissie - 02 February 2017 02:06 PM

I’ve just downloaded it & you have a choice to play either the CD or floppy version.  Smile

Cool thanks for the info!

Coincidentally, Ken Williams sent out an email to I think the sierragamers mailing list this week, pointing out http://tdosci.weebly.com/get-involved.html which is an effort to get those lesser-known Sierra titles released. That page is basically just GOG links to go vote for each game. I went and voted for every game I would actually buy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top