• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #41: Kathy Rain

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Welcome to the playthrough of Kathy Rain

It’s a very impressive 1st offering from Swedish Indie studio Clifftop Games that actually consists solely of professional game programmer Joel Staaf Hasto, who had input for the artwork, character animation & music along with that for voice-acting directed & recorded by Dave Gilbert, to bring his concept to life.

The story begins with a short prologue on the 24th September 1995 which introduces protagonist Kathy, an unconventional journalism student, who learns from her room-mate that Kathy’s estranged grandfather has died…......

From then on events in the game take place over the next 5 days during which time Kathy investigates circumstances surrounding her grandfather’s demise & you as the player slowly unravel Kathy’s troubled past. It’s an intriguing tale that ventures into the world of the supernatural or…..is it the psychological?

If you would like to join in with the playthrough & yet to buy the game there’s a choice of vendors here:  Kathy Rain

The game took me about 8 hours to finish with the time to complete each day ranging from 1 - 3 hours so for the purposes of the playthrough I thought 5 days? to get through each section i.e. Day 1, Day 2 etc (to be revised if necessary as we go along).

Okay - let’s go!
The playthrough will start on Saturday 28th (evening) & you have until then to get the game up & running & play through the prologue. Stop when you get to the beginning of Day 1. Let me know if you need more time!
N.B. I nearly forgot - please let me know when you’ve got there too!  Laughing

Please pin the thread! 

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I explored the room and am now at the cemetery.  Kathy’s a tough one, at least on the outside, but I like some of her cynical comments.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

chrissie - 26 January 2017 09:31 AM

Please pin the thread!

Done!

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 January 2017 12:58 PM

I explored the room and am now at the cemetery.  Kathy’s a tough one, at least on the outside, but I like some of her cynical comments.

I hope you don’t mind me saying Lady Kestrel that you’ve raced ahead a little into Day 1 but it’s my fault as I should have been more specific about only needing to get to this point with the intention of giving time for participants to get the game up & running:

But no matter! Smile Yes! you do get a sense of Kathy’s personality quite early on Laughing

Thank you Dale for pinning the thread!

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, I clicked on the door and then couldn’t go back, but I stopped as soon as I could,.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nice guitar!! Also, that one poster on the left is Pulp Fiction, undoubtedly, but I haven’t figured out the other ones.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I like the background music, just to say something at first. Kathy seems to have a personality that sympathizes me a lot so far, comments like: “I’m just going to lie here and suffocate on my own vomit now.” Smile or about cigarettes: “The only thing that keeping me sane.” That’s something I would say.

All right then everything works well. I’m ready to go out the door .... when you give the order I go.

PS:I could not help calling 911.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Kathy seems to have a personality that sympathizes me a lot so far, comments like: “I’m just going to lie here and suffocate on my own vomit now.” Smile or about cigarettes: “The only thing that keeping me sane.”

As a character, I find Kathy Rain to be very interesting. She is so funny.

Anyway, I am at the designated point in the game and ready to proceed. 

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve finished the game last month so will only comment here.

The beginning of the game is great, it sets the tone quite well and I like Kathy’s character. She’s funny cynical and sarcastic.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Installed and ready to roll.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 January 2017 03:49 PM

Yes, I clicked on the door and then couldn’t go back, but I stopped as soon as I could,.

Renacimiento - 26 January 2017 11:16 PM

PS:I could not help calling 911.

No need to have done that Renacimiento - it wasn’t that bad a misdemeanour!  Laughing 

Mikekelly - 27 January 2017 06:50 AM

Kathy seems to have a personality that sympathizes me a lot so far, comments like: “I’m just going to lie here and suffocate on my own vomit now.” Smile or about cigarettes: “The only thing that keeping me sane.”

As a character, I find Kathy Rain to be very interesting. She is so funny.
Heart

giom - 27 January 2017 08:23 AM

The beginning of the game is great, it sets the tone quite well and I like Kathy’s character. She’s funny cynical and sarcastic.

diego - 27 January 2017 09:15 AM

Installed and ready to roll.

Thanks all! - this playthrough is already fun before it’s really got started & it seems to be generally agreed that Kathy has made an impression! A couple of interested members haven’t dropped in just yet but we’ll proceed tomorrow evening anyway!
  Smile

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m installed and ready to go. Greatly enjoyed this game previously and looking forward to playing again. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

I’m gonna join this one as well, if you’ll have me. Just picked it up in the Humble store sale.
I too quite like Kathy so far, even though she reminds me a bit too much of myself as a teenager (I know she’s probably a bit older, what with college and motorcycle..).
Ready to head out the door as soon as you say the word chrissie.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

One of my absolute favorites this year! My first contender for AGoTY.

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Installed. Played to what I think was the end point. Kathy just turned off the alarm clock. And, I guess, is ready to leave the room.

I know this has been the style of late, but I find the extreme pixelation a real turn off. This is 2016 product, not 1994 product. Don’t know whether this was a conscious design choice or a budget choice, but I don’t like it. Am hoping the story will overcome initial misgivings.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 26 January 2017 10:16 PM

Nice guitar!! Also, that one poster on the left is Pulp Fiction, undoubtedly, but I haven’t figured out the other ones.

The one between the guitar and the window looks *really* familiar, and the one next to Pulp Fiction even moreso, but I can’t remember what they are.

On the other side of the room, we have Titanic (next to the window), Paris je t’aime (with the heart), and something generic-looking with a Twilight vibe.

Edit: the one below Pulp Fiction is Death Proof.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top