• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

CAYNE : Freetoplay Standalone Horror trip from Devs of Stasis

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Chris Bischoff - The Brotherhood - 22 January 2017 02:15 AM

GIVE IT ALL!!!!

You’ll be getting the maximum amount I can negotiate with the missus (which will probably be in the 50-60$ ballpark again). Tongue

In seriousness Cayne was a joy to make.  I hope that more people are introduced to the Adventure Game genre through the game because its free. Adventure games have given me so much - I hope that I can give it back just a few extra players!

How much of Cayne was already done when Stasis was released, and how much of Beautiful Desolation is done now?

If you can make a 4-6 hour game in less than a year-and-a-half, essentially for free, I’m trying to imagine what you can do with two full years (or more, I’m a patient man) and an actual budget. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Chris i know you will get the quality right for Desolation
But i have to request that please school Fargo team too, so that they can get close to looks of your games in next Wasteland
Smile
I hope their Wasteland teaser quality is carried to whole game, and your involvement pays off

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

TimovieMan - 22 January 2017 03:15 AM

How much of Cayne was already done when Stasis was released, and how much of Beautiful Desolation is done now?

If you can make a 4-6 hour game in less than a year-and-a-half, essentially for free, I’m trying to imagine what you can do with two full years (or more, I’m a patient man) and an actual budget. Cool

For Cayne - nothing was done on it at the launch of Stasis. I had a big chunk of what was originally going to be Cayne complete - but we decided to start from scratch.

We switched to UNITY and went with a much higher resolution - so had to scrap it all when moving systems. With the scrapping of the assets we also moved to a different story - one which I feel was WAY better and more fun to make!

We also developed the actual isometric framework (fondly called BRO_EDIT) from scratch - something that we can now use to move right into full production in our next games. The intention is to use the CAYNE framework for our next few games - so production should be faster on Desolation because we don’t have to do any R&D. The systems were also all created specifically for our games - so we can work quickly in them and change them if needed to suit us.

CAYNE was developed in 11 months from the first idea to the final release candidate on Steam.

Desolation is in preproduction/design and early prototyping. You’ll get a good feel for how much has been done when the campaign goes live. Grin We have done a more extensive design period on Desolation - with a LOT more artwork and world building than I expected to do!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wow, thanks for the info. My entire response to that is: “AWESOME!” Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 22 January 2017 12:14 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. My entire response to that is: “AWESOME!” Thumbs Up

ditto

i have this crazy far-fetched dream that the lady at the game would be John wife and we see him thru it but cant interact (a kinda cameo) and maybe kill her/us too , lol

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I must say, the quality of Cayne is impressive. It looks and sound great and the atmosphere is again very tangible.

I think the engine change really paid off, especially what comes to characters and animation. The models themselves mesh very nicely with the pre-rendered backgrounds.

So again, you did pretty damn good job on all fronts.

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Heres some keys if someone wants to play before tomorrow. Smile

A5H8N (dash) X8Z4M (dash) 5YGQ3
I8MD8 (dash) 0RCFW (dash) 2TNPD
H9CHH (dash) JZAG0 (dash) AJ6Z9

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Cool! I used the third one.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Thanks, I took the second one.

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Just wanted to let you know that CAYNE is out now for free!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/532840

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve just finished it Smile It was great…

I actually haven’t played Stasis yet (bought it when it came out and it’s been on my list of game to play ever since) but after that, I really need to play it. Hope it’ll answer questions I have from the ending.

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Im really interested in your take on both stories having played CAYNE before Stasis!

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Sooo I just started Cayne, and I think I’ve encountered some bugs in the first playable room.

First, as soon as I was given control, I tried left-clicking on the biomechanical fetus-extracting arm, and then Hadley picked up the scalpel next to her. Second, when I hover the cursor on the floor above and to the left of Hadley the text “Hadley” appears, but not when I hover it over Hadley herself.

Also, I played Stasis a while ago and I forget how the interface works, but nothing happens when I left- or right-click on anything in the environment. Is the character not supposed to comment on what you click on? Also, I tried using all my inventory items on everything in the room and get no response except when using them on each other.

(You’ve probably addressed this somewhere before, but were you guys inspired by Sanitarium?)

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Hey desiderio59 - thanks for taking the time to play Cayne!

In Cayne we don’t have character responses for all the items in the world, instead adding in the flavor text in the bottom right.
Hadley should be commenting on if you can do something - although sometimes the comments are just dismissive grunts.

Sanitarium is a definite inspiration!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

started playing and tho i finished the 1st puzzle i had to check a walkthru vid because i noticed i do not have that inventory circle down at the left side of the screen!
i could i do?

Solved: ok as soon i obtained the next inventory item the problem have gotten fixed by its own

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top