• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 26 November 2016

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Riddle of the Sphinx

This was my first adventure with an Egyptian theme, and it blew me away at the time.  There were so many neat artifacts to examine, integrated puzzles to solve, and secret areas to explore.  I think it was also the first game I played in which a player could die by making an incorrect choice.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 November 2016 06:20 PM

I think it was also the first game I played in which a player could die by making an incorrect choice.

Wow! Almost every game I played, which started with KQ1, had the possibility of death. Which was very frustrating for a beginning gamer like me because most of the games in those days used text parsers. Not much more advanced than basic text games, but with graphics. Although they seemed advanced at the time. Death could result from simply using the wrong word. One example, although it may be apochryfal, is the “push stone” you die, “pull stone” you discover a sword (or knife) beneath the stone from the original KQ1 I mentioned above.

Once P&C became the norm, death became less frequent, but more sneaky. Turning a corner without using your mirror to see if anything might be there was one of my least favorite ways to die.

Finally, and gratefully, came death with instant resurrection. Make a mistake and you die. But you are given an instant do-over to get it right.

I would have to go back and look, but my recollection is that there were many, many games that had an Egyptian theme. Or, at the very least, had an Egyptian-themed episode within the game. I liked those. The Cameron Files was one of my favorites.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I’ve always been fascinated with Egyptian history so any adventure game on said subject is a plus in my eye Wink I haven’t played this nor its sequel since they first came out around 15 yrs ago. Wow, hard to believe it’s been that long… I think I might just have to break out the old xp laptop and play thru them again Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You really should Sir Beardalot. It’s one of the few Egyptian themed games that is really well researched and somewhat accurate, so if you are interested in Egyptian history you’re in for a treat.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I have played through them both and enjoyed them very much! I was just saying it’s been a looong time since I last played them so thinking about replaying them again soon Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh - I see! I thought you meant it was too old to play, which confused me.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve played ROTS at least twice over the years but not recently, so I’m due for a replay soon.

Tim,
I only started playing adventures late in 1998, so I guess I missed many of the early “deadly” ones.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I remember the exploration being particularly rich in this game. (Lots of gold to find, for instance.) It was fascinating and I was able to live the fantasy of being the first to lay eyes on the contents of an unknown, untouched, yet-unrobbed Egyptian tomb.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

This is a game every Egyptophile should play.  It’s one of the most engrossing I can think of and the artifacts are depictions of the actual ones in museums.  It’s so painstakingly accurate that it could be used in classrooms and I read somewhere it was.  This and The Omega Stone are in my top 10 and like you folks this makes me wish I had the time to replay it.  I recall it being long, as games tended to be in those days.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I just came across the Kickstarter for the ROTS remake. It’s being going for several years and looks like release is almost there. (well, let’s just say it will be out before SpaceVenture or Asylum Wink ).

I remember wishing I could navigate freely in ROTS so this is exciting. Probably my most anticipated Kickstarter. There aren’t nearly enough games about Ancient Egypt.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-awakening-discover-lost-tombs/posts/2684855

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I supported this remake, too, Vehelon, and am looking forward to its release.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top