• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Some small news concerning Bracken Tor

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-05-28

PM

I emailed Matt and this is what he had to say:

“Bracken Tor: The Time and Tooth and Claw should be released towards the end of this year Or the start of next. Bracken Tor: The Dark Path (Not yet announced) will follow likely late in 2013, and will be a bridge towards Wychwood. Bracken Tor: The Dark Path’s storyline runs concurrent with Tooth and Claw, taking gamers to a range of new locations and features a big return of Radio DJ Emma Harry, along with other characters.

The game has grown, and developed to feel more in keeping with the Original Barrow Hill, a 4 direction node based game, crammed with puzzles and filled to the brim with an English folk horror mystery vibe.

The game world is huge, taking in a range of locations in the time settings of modern day and the ancient past, featuring recreations of ancient monuments here in Cornwall and capturing the desolate and now abandoned expanse of the Cornish moorland. With a return to a corner of the game world from Barrow Hill and an advance journey inside the village of Wychwood, locations should really please gamers both old and new.

Matt”

Thanks matt for the news!

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

jfcwilson - 28 September 2012 08:22 PM

“Bracken Tor: The Time and Tooth and Claw should be released towards the end of this year Or the start of next.

Or the start of 2014. Or maybe later. Whatever, Matt. Take your time. But I’m not interested in promises everybody knows you won’t keep. 

Bracken Tor: The Dark Path (Not yet announced) will follow likely late in 2013, and will be a bridge towards Wychwood.

Gee, a third game in the making. How very interesting. Yawn. Why don’t you simply try to finish one game.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2010-04-14

PM

Thanks jfcwilson,
At last a game that I can look forward to and quit making do with casuals.
Not only that but two other games for the future!!!!!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

sarahandus - 30 September 2012 08:58 AM

At last a game that I can look forward to

You are going to have a lot of time to look forward to something then.
Like the rest of us suckers still believing we’ll get in posession of Bracken Tor.
Confused

P.S. Don’t you know that news about Bracken Tor coming soon have been out there for ages?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Sometimes I wonder what’s worse: the mainstream crowd asking for weapons in adventures, or the adventure fans that crucify you when your game is delayed.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Agustin, this is not about Bracken Tor being *delayed*. It really is not. (And it’s no reflection on you and your game either!) If you don’t know what I’m talking about, sorry, but I don’t feel like rehashing the whole thing.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

I don’t think people would complain about delaying a game to expand or improve it… Delaying it because you’re busy making sequel(s) for it at the same time isn’t so good.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I do understand you, Fien, but you’re an experienced and intelligent adventure gamer and I hope you also understand that this is not as simple as “Matt is lying” or “Matt is lazy”, etc. etc.

This was an obvious problem of miscommunication, and I’m positive as hell that Matt is trying his very best with Bracken Tor.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Agustín Cordes - 30 September 2012 01:41 PM

Sometimes I wonder what’s worse: the mainstream crowd asking for weapons in adventures, or the adventure fans that crucify you when your game is delayed.

They (AG fans) won’t crucify anyone who keeps his mouth like the guy on your avatar (don’t promise anything), but if someone keeps announcing new publishing dates every now and then in the last couple of years - some AG faithful will come on him/her like a ton of bricks (as ilustrated in Bracken Tor topics here).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

Agustín Cordes - 30 September 2012 01:59 PM

I do understand you, Fien, but you’re an experienced and intelligent adventure gamer and I hope you also understand that this is not as simple as “Matt is lying” or “Matt is lazy”, etc. etc.

This was an obvious problem of miscommunication, and I’m positive as hell that Matt is trying his very best with Bracken Tor.

i wont speak for fien, but i dont think he was calling Matt lazy, and not really a liar either.

my opinion is similar in that, if you know you are an ambitious game designer and a perfectionist, and you have experience creating games, you should have a much better way of communicating to everyone the actual progress.

fans love to be excited for something. so its important to make them excited for something that doesn’t continually and consistently fall through. hype building to nothing is flattening and quite simply a big detraction on the way you are marketing your game.

so the animosity is earned and valid. Matt should just learn from it and be more transparent.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

That’s cool! Just let the developer do whatever he thinks is best. It’ll be done when it’s done. Until then I have plenty of more important things to worry about in my life than the delays of a random game… though I’m kinda jealous of the people who apparently don’t.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

What you all seem to be missing here is the fact that a publisher and at least one distributor are involved as well. I’m in no way implying there was any wrongdoing on their side (they’re really cool people, actually) but you have to understand the kind of pressure that arises when three parties are involved in a game project. Each has different needs and expectations: the distributor gets in touch with stores and digital channels, the publisher invests money in marketing, and in the meantime the developer is struggling to deliver the game he/she wants on a shoestring budget.

No one is to blame here, it’s how this damn industry works. Things obviously got out of hand with Bracken Tor; I bet there was miscommunication between the parties involved, and certainly miscommunication with the fans, but seeing Matt being treated like this is shameful. Seriously. Even if I understand the animosity, you can’t be so vocal about it and potentially cause damage to the reputation of a developer.

That is all. I hope this gives you another perspective on this ordeal.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Agustín Cordes - 30 September 2012 05:12 PM

What you all seem to be missing here is the fact that a publisher and at least one distributor are involved as well. I’m in no way implying there was any wrongdoing on their side (they’re really cool people, actually) but you have to understand the kind of pressure that arises when three parties are involved in a game project. Each has different needs and expectations: the distributor gets in touch with stores and digital channels, the publisher invests money in marketing, and in the meantime the developer is struggling to deliver the game he/she wants on a shoestring budget.

No one is to blame here, it’s how this damn industry works. Things obviously got out of hand with Bracken Tor; I bet there was miscommunication between the parties involved, and certainly miscommunication with the fans, but seeing Matt being treated like this is shameful. Seriously. Even if I understand the animosity, you can’t be so vocal about it and potentially cause damage to the reputation of a developer.

Burn him!

Just kidding. I don’t know much about the details of Bracken Tor’s development, but I agree with Agustin. All we can do is provide support and keep ourselves busy with other games. I can understand why it seems that the developer is spreading himself too thin by planning sequels, but it’s possible that it may not even be his call to do that. However, the email in the OP just says that he has an idea for the next game. I didn’t perceive that he’s working on it concurrently with Bracken Tor.

Either way, I hope the game’s competed soon and everyone enjoys it. I’m certainly looking forward to it, but to be honest there are so many great games coming out these days that I forget what I’m waiting for.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

To be fair to both sides, the fans are only going on what information they have. If there really are issues between the parties in releasing the game, why not say so? I’m sure Matt isn’t the terrible and lazy demon he is sometimes portrayed as, but you can’t blame the fans either for being upset that a game they really want to play and which has been promised to them so frequently is continually delayed, when no reason is given. Fans they appreciate honesty more than anything. A few reasonable delays they don’t mind.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

Agustín Cordes - 30 September 2012 05:12 PM

didn’t really consider all this, forgive my ignorance.

but to counter one point in your otherwise great post: don’t imply we are trying to degrade a developers reputation. we wouldn’t be frustrated if he wasn’t a great designer and we weren’t REALLY excited for the game. so thats the one bit I have to say you got wrong.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Of course I’m not implying that you’re doing this on purpose, but this kind of trash talk can get out of control. Publishers and websites take notice, not to mention hundreds of gamers unfamiliar with the situation. If I were an innocent bypasser maybe I could think that Matt scammed you somehow with Bracken Tor, which is far from the truth. And this isn’t the first topic where he is being bashed either.

All I’m saying is mind your words. Matt shouldn’t be blamed for this as I believe events spiralled out of his control. Your frustration is totally understandable as well, but you can’t imagine the damage you may be causing with this (apparent) hatred. Trust me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top