• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #18 - Enigmatis 3

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Probably busy writing another of your fantastic reviews. Likely due in another week or so, and you are frantically involved in another editorial process.

Aha! I was right, and another great review! Well done. Now you can get back to the important stuff, Becky.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

cluelass - 30 September 2016 02:15 PM

[/spoiler] One thing that was rather odd in a quasi-realistic game world was that you have to use the map to get out of the monastery. Why not go out through the main gate?

You can’t get out of the monastery by the main gate, because you go to unknown environment (with the blizzard, etc). You can get out of the monastery the way you came (without any climbings this time though). Backwards from the main hall.

Meanwhile, I don’t trust Britney at all, but I’d rather have her where I can see her.

Me neither. I haven’t forgot that the mute kid was not trusting her at all when we first met her.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 01 October 2016 03:33 AM

Meanwhile, I don’t trust Britney at all, but I’d rather have her where I can see her.

Me neither. I haven’t forgot that the mute kid was not trusting her at all when we first met her.

Me neither - and now she has just run away into the blizzard Meh

It actually also took me a bit of time to discover the back button in the main hall, I thought this was basically just the 4th wall, and it wasn’t until later that I realized this was the way we originally entered the monastery. But using the map instead simply never occurred to me, I think that I have only used the map once! And that was only to check where there were puzzles ready to be solved, otherwise the locations are so small that I never felt the need to fast travel by map.

Otherwise the game is beginning to grow on me, and I quite liked “Chamber of Trials” (as I only just now learned it is called), but I still lack the sense of Mystery and unknown that the two first games had.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

All right, players!  Since you are probably freezing your bippies off just standing in the snow of the camp, it’s time to move around, check things out, and perhaps get to the bottom of this mystery.  Try to finish the main part of the game by Monday, October 3.  For those playing the CE, let me know when you’ve finished the bonus part as well.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Sefir - 01 October 2016 03:33 AM

You can’t get out of the monastery by the main gate, because you go to unknown environment (with the blizzard, etc). You can get out of the monastery the way you came (without any climbings this time though). Backwards from the main hall..

I never thought of that (duh). Pan I guess you rappel down the cliff.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I ran into a bug/dead end. That was at the paint mixing table. I poured red and blue into the mortar/pestle, and it yielded purple. But I was unable to transfer that color to an empty dish. Very frustrating. I also thought that gathering the wall parts would result in a puzzle where we had to reassemble them in the correct order. Nope.

All that said, I have played this game before. So expecting a different outcome for these various puzzles is a bit irrational.

I think finding a dead Britney came as quite a shock. All of a sudden things start to make sense. It’s why we didn’t trust her. It’s why Fang didn’t trust her. And it’s also why the white bird attacked her.

The Preacher is also capable of shape shifting. That’s an attribute I don’t remember him having in the two earlier games.

As I mentioned in my AGSOTD post, I’m not sure how I see there being a sequel to this game.

Will start the CE bonus game on Monday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

rtrooney - 01 October 2016 09:24 PM

I ran into a bug/dead end. That was at the paint mixing table. I poured red and blue into the mortar/pestle, and it yielded purple. But I was unable to transfer that color to an empty dish. Very frustrating. I also thought that gathering the wall parts would result in a puzzle where we had to reassemble them in the correct order. Nope.

If you look at the instruction book pictures at the table, it turns out you only need orange and green. Then in the next step they omit the blue, because it is a four-color puzzle.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the main part. And it seems that I was right not to trust Britney after all. I liked the story a lot, although I have never played the two previous Enigmatis games. It had it’s own mythos, which is never a bad thing. The atmosphere was tense, with scary moments (especially when I discovered Britney’s dead body). The riddles were exactly what I am expecting of a casual game (played in the “medium” difficulty set). Both the -not so hard- HOGs or the pair matchings were enjoyable. The graphics and the voice acting were of good quality. I know it is not the right order, but I will try to find Enigmatis 1&2 when I finish the Bonus content here.

EDIT: Just started the Bonus Chapter. Oh no!!! (I control Britney!!! The real one!!! This can not end good... Frown

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to take a day off and start the bonus game tomorrow.

The main game starts with a cut scene that shows the Preacher standing over someone. I think the supposition is that the character is you. This is reinforced when the plane crashes and you pass out momentarily. That’s a nice bit of trickery. There’s no reason to expect the Preacher is looking down on anybody but you. We don’t even meet Britney until we reach the Tibetan village.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 02 October 2016 11:31 AM

The main game starts with a cut scene that shows the Preacher standing over someone. I think the supposition is that the character is you. This is reinforced when the plane crashes and you pass out momentarily. That’s a nice bit of trickery. There’s no reason to expect the Preacher is looking down on anybody but you. We don’t even meet Britney until we reach the Tibetan village.

As CGs are more & more introducing thought-provoking details (& I loved the story) it’s becoming a bug bear that there’s only the one save slot so you can’t easily re-play parts! 
But, having played the game twice now yes, certainly your brain is tricked as… when you see the Preacher standing over someone in that cut scene they look like a dark-haired female & the preacher looks up at the monastery, whereas the plane didn’t crash anywhere near it & the protagonist you play is actually blonde!  (You see the back of her in the plane).

I never guessed the 1st time around that Britney wasn’t who she seemed but I saw the clues more clearly the 2nd time – not just that the mute girl on the roof wouldn’t respond to her – there was also a point when you were looking at Britney her image ‘wobbled’ & looking at the little girl’s drawings told you that they had been left in a hurry obviously by her.

There was the sound of a flute before Britney was attacked by the white bird by the snowmobile & a figure seen running away which she chased after with our assumption it was the Preacher but I now believe this was Po (the little girl’s father) who had summoned the white bird with the flute.

Obviously you as the protagonist & Rick remained safe as the Preacher needed you to convince the girl to open the portal as she didn’t trust ‘Britney’

I’ll replay the bonus section tomorrow - It’s not needed as I thought the game concluded very well but I thought it was well worthwhile as unlike other bonus chapters that are just an addition….....

Sefir - 02 October 2016 04:17 AM

EDIT: Just started the Bonus Chapter. Oh no!!! (I control Britney!!! The real one!!! This can not end good... Frown

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the main game. The game isn’t quite up to the same level as Ravenwood, but it’s solid enough to be of the same quality as Ghosts of Maple Creek. And it concludes the trilogy wonderfully. (I agree with Tim, no more sequels should be possible after this.)

I like how they created a sense of urgency and danger throughout (even if you can’t get a “game over”), and I didn’t see the shapeshifting coming. Twice..

And I love the Preacher as a villain. You have to admire him for treating you as a worthy adversary but still manipulating you TWICE to do his dirty work for him. Quite the magnificent bastard, if you ask me.
Helpful as ever, Detective.

Great trilogy, but Ravenwood is miles ahead of the other two installments, imo.

Oh, and I figured out quite early on that the mute kid was going to be The Chosen. When the main character finally connects the dots, my reaction was “and you didn’t realize this the very second you read the word “grandchild” in one of the diaries???”. Smile

I’ll play the bonus chapter tomorrow.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 02 October 2016 05:31 PM

The game isn’t quite up to the same level as Ravenwood

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t agree. In the first two games, and particularly the second, we were in almost constant contact with the Preacher. He was an immediate adversary. Although he was locked in a dungeon, he was an overwhelming presence.

In this game it’s not his presence that’s frightening, it’s his absence that is frightening. We know he’s here. And we know he is here for only one reason…to resurrect Asmodai. But where is he? When will he make his move?

I’m not saying this is better than Ravenwood, or even better than Maple Creek. It’s just different.

This is not Preacher v Rick. Not Preacher v Raven. This is preacher against anything that would stand in his way of achieving world domination by re-incarnating the soul of Asmodai into his own body. And he knows where the sould of Asmodai resides.

So I actually like this game the best. The prime antagonist only makes two appearances. But he is an overriding presence throughout the game. And the game not only came to a satisfactory conclusion, but it pretty much ended the trilogy on a happy note. Can’t do much better than that.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Delete duplicate post

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m still climbing to catch up. I’ve made it to the monastery. The person I’m not certain I can trust is Rick. He SEEMS to make the right decisions. But escaping that griffin thing—how’d he do that? Can the Preacher occupy another person’s body, I wonder?

rtrooney - 30 September 2016 06:45 PM

Aha! I was right, and another great review! Well done. Now you can get back to the important stuff, Becky.

Tim—thanks for your kind words! And my granddaughter is currently crawling around getting into everything she shouldn’t. Sort of like an adventure gamer.

cluelass - 25 September 2016 09:01 PM

I have made it to the outskirts of the village and spotted a rare Tibetan woodpecker.

Cluelass—I noticed the woodpecker too. Do you think it’s a natural woodpecker habitat, all the way up here in the snow? Or is Woody about to be transformed into a giant woodpecker monster?

It’s interesting that the game attempts to create dramatic tension in so many of the puzzles. I like it, but it kind of wears on me too.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I finished the main game and am not quite finished with the bonus chapter. I thought the series as a whole was excellent with all three games being quite good, something that is unusual. My favorite is still Ravenwood although if Maple Creek hadn’t had so many HO scenes that would be a strong contender.

I agree with whoever said that a sense of mystery and atmosphere is lacking in this one. Yes, we knew about the Preacher in the others but we really didn’t know what was going on. We didn’t even really trust Rick and hadn’t really a clue about the Reapers until later.

And I agree with Timovieman that the Preacher made a hell-elegant villain in this one. One of this games strong points. I also thought the developers were quite creative in what they decided to show and how they did it. Kudos to them for keeping the series in the same vein throughout and in keeping the same standard of excellence.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top