• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 23 September 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Since I knew I was going to have references to Parks & Rec and Lost, I thought for a while about making this week “TV week”, but I couldn’t think of enough games that fit that label. But here’s a scene from Star Trek: Judgement Rites! So that’s “part TV week”.

I’m completely unfamiliar with both the game and the show, so I’ll let you guys say something clever about this scene.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s an outstanding game, if not for the (rare) ship combat it would be in my top 10.

Also one of the earliest adventures to have multiple solutions to puzzles and different outcomes, and which allows you to fail in different degrees and still proceed. It would actually make a good game for a community playthrough for that reason.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have never played the game. I know I have to. As for the show, while I do have seen TNG and DS9 and loved them both (TNG is much better of course), the original series still escapes me. Next on the list however. Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I thought 25th Anniversay and it’s sequel Judgement rites were great games.

They were told in an episodic fashion that suits the TV show and were a lot of fun.

I always though Star Trek suited more the adventure route than the action route they tried with most game in the franchise. It’s a shame that we havn’t had a recent one.

The new game looks all Uncharted 3rd person shoot-em-up with platforming.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Sefir - 23 September 2012 11:51 AM

I have never played the game. I know I have to. As for the show, while I do have seen TNG and DS9 and loved them both (TNG is much better of course), the original series still escapes me. Next on the list however. Wink

Crazy talk! DS9 is the best Trek has to offer ;-)

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 23 September 2012 01:36 PM

Indeed. I’ve watched all the newer series chronologically (plus some random episodes of TOS) and DS9 is just pure brilliance. TNG had some great moments but doesn’t beat DS9 overall.

I haven’t played any Trek games, should check them out at some point.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

millenia - 23 September 2012 04:27 PM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 23 September 2012 01:36 PM

Indeed. I’ve watched all the newer series chronologically (plus some random episodes of TOS) and DS9 is just pure brilliance. TNG had some great moments but doesn’t beat DS9 overall.

I haven’t played any Trek games, should check them out at some point.

Let’s give it a thought. Almost every episode in TNG stands on its own. That’s not the case in DS9 where there is an entire storyline which goes on an and on (mind you, that’s not a bad thing on its own. Just different direction), forcing us to some really unimaginative episodes like the parallel universe ones (I also believe that TNG had much more great moments than DS9). Secondly, IMO DS9 greatest flaw is that it lacks of memorable main characters (with the exception of Garak and sometimes Worf and Odo) in comparison to TNG where I deeply cared for almost every character. For example, I am still to find a single person who watched DS9 and didn’t want Kira dead even from the first episodes. Next, the special effects are surely much better in DS9 than in TNG. Finally, what I loved in TNG is that in EVERY episode, ther was a true moral lesson, which was something I’ve never seen in any other TV series. Overall, I still believe TNG is much better than DS9… Meh

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 24 September 2012 01:44 AM

Finally, what I loved in TNG is that in EVERY episode, ther was a true moral lesson, which was something I’ve never seen in any other TV series.

I don’t know how we got into this discussion, but this is a key point. DS9 was a soap opera - a very good soap opera, but nothing more than that. TNG and TOS were the only ones which raised serious ethical questions of exploring the universe, and if you play Judgment Rites you will find it did very well by involving the player in those kind of decisions (and so did A Final Unity, the TNG adventure game).

Perhaps this is why DS9 never had a good game based on it, and Voyager could only manage a competent but mindless first-person shooter.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The two Elite Force games were ok, but not very “Star Trek”.

The DS9 games varied in quality. The adventure was dreadful (Harbringer), but I vaguly remember the FPS “Fallen” being not too bad.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

To me the continuity is definitely a plus side on a tv-series. I’d rather watch movies if they have to stand alone. But saying that DS9 had no deeper grasp of ethics is just bull. “In the Pale Moonlight” anyone? And the whole Dominion wars and all the grudges between the Cardassians and Bajorans…

I never wanted Kira dead and I didn’t hate anyone else either. The cast is very good, though I have to admit that TNGs Captain is still the best. But then again TNG has just Picard, Data and occasionally Q. The episodes focusing on them are great but it’s not a full emotional marathon. Quark, Odo, Dax with Garak and Dukat were interesting enough for me.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I love the original series (couldn’t really get into any of the others), and would like to play this game sometime in the future.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top