• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Black Mesa Source

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

http://blackmesasource.com/
After… 8 years? The Source remake of HL1 is finally here. Well… Sort of Wink The countdown timer they put up two weeks ago just went to zero (I came in at 25 seconds - pretty good timing? Grin) - then the website went down, unsurprisingly. Anyway, it should be here any moment now.

Also, it was in the first batch games to get greenlit for Source, so in a matter of time (no idea how long) it’ll be downloadable there too.

Not that I have the patience at the moment, though. It would be an easier install, no doubt, but after having just replayed HL2 I’m aching to get to play HL1 after such a long time. In my mind, it’s even superior to HL2…

Well, the site is still down. Massive overload, no doubt. This has been hugely popular. Anyway, hopefully they can get the site up during the evening Tongue Here’s the would-be link to what came out of the countdown:
http://release.blackmesasource.com/

So, while we’re waiting - anyone else waiting for this? Smile

(Edit): Well, an hour later, still down…

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I’m currently downloading it now. Try here: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Black-Mesa_57528457.html

Wink

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Remember its not the whole game. Xen is incomplete because they felt it would be best to redo the whole Xen world since the platforming was so badly done in the original.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well, as far as I’m concerned - doesn’t really matter. I never liked Xen anyways Tongue Actually, I never even finished it… I’ve even replayed HL a couple times, but I’ve never played the Xen parts through Grin

Anyway, the main site’s up too, now. I guess I’ll wait with the download till tomorrow, though. Too late now…

Not very serious with this, but here’s some criticism before I’ve even seen the game in action - I liked the original commando models better! Tongue (judging by the bacground images on the site…) Anyway, can’t wait to play it!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

You know, I’m really happy with how this has turned out! Manages to capture the feeling really nicely Smile Only problem so far (aside from little bugs etc. (and I’m not talking about headcrabs, for the most part Wink)) that I’ve had is actually regarding the commandos - but rather not the visual side (like in my last post) but the audio! They had brilliant audio design in the first game (the way it was built up - the radio chatter, the music, all of it), and this time especially their voices are a bit of an amateur hour special. Waay overacted like “listen to me being a bad guy!”. But it’s tolerable Tongue

Other than the commandos though, the audio design is really good. And who am I to complain on a free fan-made project that is extremely well done? Laughing

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

This may seem a strange thing to judge Black Mesa by, but I like how they expanded the scale of the installation to include things like cubicles and receptionists’ desks and cafeterias. To me that makes the place seem much more like an environment where people worked, and makes the disaster easier to take seriously as a thing. Plus, women scientists! I just about plotzed. (Now, if the assassins are at least 65% less bouncy, that’ll be real progress.)

Bullpucky

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

MeddlingMonk - 17 September 2012 10:24 PM

This may seem a strange thing to judge Black Mesa by, but I like how they expanded the scale of the installation to include things like cubicles and receptionists’ desks and cafeterias. To me that makes the place seem much more like an environment where people worked, and makes the disaster easier to take seriously as a thing. Plus, women scientists! I just about plotzed. (Now, if the assassins are at least 65% less bouncy, that’ll be real progress.)

That doesn’t say much since the original Half-life did just that for first person gaming. Black Mesa just evolved the design instead of willy nilly remaking/porting a game bit by bit.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top