• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Planescape Kickstarter?

Poll: Would You Want This To Happen?
Total Votes: 29
Yes
No
Maybe
What’s Planescape?

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2008-02-17

PM

With the success of Bioware’s IP’s Dragon Age and Mass Effect I’m not sure I agree that I believe the gaming community has moved on; possibly just… compressed what Planescape and other RPG’s like it had, and in exchange used their resources for graphics and extensive voice acting.

If Avellone was to follow their example but not lose track of what made Planescape so great, I’d definitely be interested. Especially when it comes to the voice acting, heh. Smile

I am rubber, you are glue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not Planescape but it’s here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Looks cool… but not gonna support them if they’re too dumb to make it DRM free. Guess I’ll wait for a Steam sale.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

In the FAQ they say they are exploring other options for the digital version, so a DRM-free version could happen, maybe Gog.com (best service in my opinion)

Close to 1 million now - that’s fast!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

lol, this goes to show, only 1 thing truly matters when it comes to the success of a kickstarter like this: reputation. They have virtually no game details, the rewards are typical and sparse, they have yet to appease the drm-free crowd… and theyv still stomped out their goal in about 24 hours.

It is a shame to see when a kickstarter that struggles becomes subject to a list of demands: “of course youre struggling, you didnt give us enough screenshots! 10k for some dinner?! I wont buy it unless its on platforms x,y,z and drm free!!”
And then its kind of fun to see a project like this, where the same people complain and make demands, but it hardly matters as they breeze by to their goal.

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

zane - 15 September 2012 10:14 AM

lol, this goes to show, only 1 thing truly matters when it comes to the success of a kickstarter like this: reputation.

Reputation certainly helps A LOT but it’s not everything. Look at “Jungle Adventure” from the creator of Pitfall. Didn’t even get a tenth of its funding. Even Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter did surprisingly bad and barely scraped by.

Then you have things like The Banner Saga and Castle Story from people nobody ever heard of, making well over 7x their goal.

I think originality and creativity matter just as much if not even more.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 15 September 2012 01:38 PM

Reputation certainly helps A LOT but it’s not everything. Look at “Jungle Adventure” from the creator of Pitfall. Didn’t even get a tenth of its funding. Even Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter did surprisingly bad and barely scraped by.

to me, reputation means having a strong current relevance. Has david crane made anything of great note in the last 20 years? And jane jensen’s reputation is clearly overrated… Gabriel knight has a group of very vocal loyal fans (including myself), but even at its highest point it was very niche market by todays standards. Tim schafer, brian fargo, and the folks at obsidian, all have long consistent track records and are very well connected in the modern industry. 
If you’ve got that reputation a lot of the project details dont matter. If you dont, well then you better have an amazing original idea with near flawless presentation (like banner saga), and be ready to answer to a litany of demands.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

zane - 15 September 2012 02:08 PM

to me, reputation means having a strong current relevance. Has david crane made anything of great note in the last 20 years? And jane jensen’s reputation is clearly overrated… Gabriel knight has a group of very vocal loyal fans (including myself), but even at its highest point it was very niche market by todays standards. Tim schafer, brian fargo, and the folks at obsidian, all have long consistent track records and are very well connected in the modern industry. 
If you’ve got that reputation a lot of the project details dont matter. If you dont, well then you better have an amazing original idea with near flawless presentation (like banner saga), and be ready to answer to a litany of demands.

Aww hell naawww, you did not just go there.

Jane isn’t overrated. She’s just not well known outside of the AG community. Tim Schafer has made games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend which have reached wider audiences.

Fargo and Obsidian have clearly worked on bigger, broader games in the RPG arena. Fallout and the DnD games have HUGE followings. Comparing those to Jane Jensen or other AG developers outside of Schafer is apples and oranges.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Schneckchen ^.^ - 15 September 2012 05:08 AM

Looks cool… but not gonna support them if they’re too dumb to make it DRM free. Guess I’ll wait for a Steam sale.

?

But if you end up buying the game on Steam anyway, you’re not getting it DRM free. You may be paying less, but it ain’t DRM free.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

inm8#2 - 15 September 2012 06:36 PM

Jane isn’t overrated. She’s just not well known outside of the AG community. Tim Schafer has made games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend which have reached wider audiences.

i did not mean that jane’s work is overrated, just that the size of the fan base frequently has been Wink I saw many people who thought jane would have the same impact as tim schafer, not realizing the modern influence hes had with double fine.
And the fact that those others reached wider audiences is my whole point.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Fair enough. And I’m not sure why people thought Jane would have had as many supporters as DFA. That project had adventure gamers and non adventure gamers alike. DFA had ~87k, and I figure a majority of them weren’t quite seasoned adventure gamers. But DFA was more of a social movement, too. I’d go so far as to say it was a “hipster trend”.

I was definitely disappointed by how many backers Jane had (~6k). I would have expected her to get around ~12k. The Larry remake even had more than twice as many as Jane (~14k). Not sure why more didn’t support JJ - I think people were too stubborn and irrational with their “GK4 or no pledge” mentalities, and apparently the concept of the CSG was too much for people to compute. But Jane didn’t get off to a great start and it hurt her project.

But yea, the fanbase for adventure games pales in comparison to that of most other genres, especially RPGs.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s funded. This is basically a dream team doing what they are best known for. So it’s not surprising it’s doing so well.
I wonder if they can “break” the Double Fine Adventure Total. I guess it depends of the stretch goals.

I agree that reputation means a lot in some kickstarters.
Wasteland, Shadowrun and recently Planetary Annihilation got some grand totals without showing much except the promise of reviving some old classic pc games with loyal fans.
Adventure games have been quite successful in kickstarters - Tim Schafer got that incredible amount without showing anything about the game or what was the intent. Two guys from andromeda also didn’t show much at the beginning and they still got half a million, larry got a lot and its just a remake. Although most of them can’t get to the million mark.
But I also think there is space in kickstarter to projects without a reputation behind the team like the mentioned Banner Saga or Dead State and Grim Dawn. They just have to show something more elaborated than jut an idea.

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Spaceventure showed plenty throughout their campaign. Maybe not much initially, but they had those playable teaser/demo/whatever you call its. They showed more than any other project. Yet, they were on life support until for some reason tons of people flocked to the project in the last 10 days or so.

I’ve seen an inverse trend. Spaceventure and Jane showed plenty of concept art and such. They struggled. Other projects with wider reputations showed less yet were funded at ease.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think you’re right, Spaceventure wasn’t going very fast until they showed some concept art out and got some support from people like Ken Williams.

Well if Ken and Roberta Williams would get together with AL Lowe, the two guys from Andromeda and Jane Jensen and said they were making some random adventure game I’m sure they would get 1 million fast Smile

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

inm8#2 - 15 September 2012 06:47 PM
Schneckchen ^.^ - 15 September 2012 05:08 AM

?

But if you end up buying the game on Steam anyway, you’re not getting it DRM free. You may be paying less, but it ain’t DRM free.

Ok let me rephrase… with DRM, I’ll spend as little money as possible to support them, which in this case would be a $2 Steam sale. It’s surprising how many devs still don’t understand that DRM just hurts their sales and reputation. Kind of like Bioware and Funcom still bringing out MMOs with monthly fees. They just need to learn the hard way.

However, now that they’re actually “looking into” going DRM free, I’ll probably end up spending at least $35 on it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top