• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 14 September 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

After replaying Path of the Shell last week, I’ve been in the mood for some solitary exploration games. What about the Rhem series? The negative reviews here, bland graphics (the scene from Rhem 3 here is the most okayish-looking stuff I was able to find) and talk of brutal puzzles (does that mean unfair?) have put me off the series, but maybe I should reconsider? Are the games worth playing? Which one would be the best introduction to the series?

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Absolutely loved the graphics, the Rhems and Mysts are two of my favorite series. The puzzles weren’t brutal and extremely fair as all the clues you needed were there to find. Some of the best multi-layered puzzles in any game. I do admit that when the first Rhem was released at the beginning of my playing adventures, I had no idea what to do. It wasn’t until my playing skill levels improved over the years that I gave it another try several years ago and fell in love with the series. Knut has a fantastic engineering mind. Also loved the note taken and drawings I had to do and I had estimated putting in about 40 hours each for 1 - 2 & 3. A little less for #4 but by then my use of the Print Screen button cut the time down considerably due to the fact that I didn’t have to spend so much time on detailed drawing, notes and maps,

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I love RHEM but it’s definitely a love/hate game. The puzzles are absolutely 100% fair, actually these are possibly the most fair adventure games I’ve played. If you’re stuck it WILL be because you haven’t found a clue or deciphered it properly, and there’s no pixel hunting or anything like that. There’s nothing like the feeling of holding off any hints and then the sudden breakthrough of cracking a tough puzzle (or for me it’s usually “damn you Knut you sneaky bastard”). Finishing a RHEM on your own is an accomplishment, and a rewarding one.

Why not start with 3, if you like the screens? It’s the one I like best too. I wouldn’t start with 1, it’s the least accessible and there’s no successive plot to follow anyway.

All are good but I would rank the games best to worst:
%>*>@>#
(*=2, #=1, %=3, @=4).

Just a little taste of some RHEM logic  Wink

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  I like your logic, Oscar. 

I play and enjoy all kinds of games, but since my favorites are first person exploration puzzlers, the Rhem games have always been a pleasure to play.  There is a bare bones story about opening up new areas of Rhem and a few characters you come across each time who give you clues, but each game can be played alone.  Pick one that looks interesting and give it a go.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

I’ll chime in and say that the RHEM games are some of my favourite too. Mapmaking used to be a hobby of mine, so mapping adventure game locations was always a given in addition to extensive notetaking. The interconnectivity of each area of RHEM always amazed me. My original map of the first RHEM looked hilarious, arrows and symbols all over the place, on different sheets of paper that I had to staple together!  Nerd

I think it was a running joke here that RHEM 1 was described as “Myst for Plumbers”, while RHEM 2 was “Myst for Electricians”!

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like making maps, too, Trunkyo, which is why I’ve never minded mazes in games.  One of the fascinations of Rhem was being able to see an inaccessable area and trying to figure out how to get to it.  Drawing the layers there was very challenging.  A bowl of neatly arranged linguini comes to mind.

I think it was a running joke here that RHEM 1 was described as “Myst for Plumbers”, while RHEM 2 was “Myst for Electricians”!

It was a nice change of pace when Knut included a nature puzzle in #3 and outdoor areas in both #3 & #4.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Trunkyo - 14 September 2012 03:44 PM

Mapmaking used to be a hobby of mine, so mapping adventure game locations was always a given in addition to extensive notetaking.

Lady Kestrel - 14 September 2012 04:47 PM

I like making maps, too, Trunkyo, which is why I’ve never minded mazes in games.

I dare you to play Cryo’s Dragon Lore 2 Grin - I used to be a mapmaking lover like you two, until I played it - it’s one of the most cruel and bizarre “mazes” ever - I spent few hours walking around and coming to the same spot, until I realized that the forest is “cursed” and the maze pattern always changes. Angry  Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

diego - 14 September 2012 04:54 PM

I dare you to play Cryo’s Dragon Lore 2 Grin - I used to be a mapmaking lover like you two, until I played it - it’s one of the most cruel and bizarre “mazes” ever - I spent few hours walking around and coming to the same spot, until I realized that the forest is “cursed” and the maze pattern always changes

In my book that would be defined as an unfair puzzle.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You bet it is. Grin

However, it’s an action-RPG hybrid, and as far as I remember, you need to obtain some magic artifact in order to progress through the forest. The trouble is, you might not be aware of it until you break some piece of your computer equipment. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

diego - 14 September 2012 05:59 PM

You bet it is. Grin

However, it’s an action-RPG hybrid, and as far as I remember, you need to obtain some magic artifact in order to progress through the forest. The trouble is, you might not be aware of it until you break some piece of your computer equipment. Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 September 2012 04:47 PM

It was a nice change of pace when Knut included a nature puzzle in #3 and outdoor areas in both #3 & #4.

As far as I’m aware, #3 was the first time we saw a tree, I think.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Thanks a lot everyone for the recommendations! Now to find where to buy digital copies of the games—and time to play them.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

You can get all four Rhemmies at the adventure shop for 15 dollars.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top