• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #10:  Star Trek - 25th Anniversary

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

After changing my mind 10 times I’ve decided to choose the new challenge - Star Trek 25th Anniversary.
I remember playing Judment Rites and liking it lot but I never got around to play this one. I’m far from being a trekkie and still enjoyed Judment Rites, just a good sci-fi adventure.
The game got a digital release last year on the usual stores so it´s a good time to try it.

So, the mission, should you choose to accept it, is to finish Star Trek - 25th Anniversary in the next 8 days - until 11th April and to boldly go where…etc.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I know very little about Star Trek (I think I may have caught some of the first JJ Abrams movie on a plane at some point, if that counts), but what the hell. I’m in.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Alright, more or less ready to go! After spending far too long setting up the game properly (ffs gog, get your shit together), I got thrown into a space fight, had no idea what to do, lost, and then spent two minutes just figuring out how to get to the menu and quit.

I’m going to have to read the manual, aren’t I?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Probably, the ship combat doesn’t seem very hard or complex but the manual does explain what each crew member does. And of course the Star Map is needed to travel to each location.
The first combat is just a simulation, not sure if are supposed to win, I lost both times.

And btw, what did you do to configure the gog version?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I just installed ST: Judgment Rites and it’s awful, pretty much for the same reason Kurufinwe mentioned. The interface is non-standard (I had to read the manual to be able to even quit the game), has way too many options (and people complain about the original GK1), isn’t streamlined (things you can do are littered all over the place) and the game is just so pompous.

So uh, good luck to you guys.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Antrax - 04 April 2016 12:03 AM

I just installed ST: Judgment Rites and it’s awful, pretty much for the same reason Kurufinwe mentioned. The interface is non-standard (I had to read the manual to be able to even quit the game), has way too many options (and people complain about the original GK1), isn’t streamlined (things you can do are littered all over the place) and the game is just so pompous.

So uh, good luck to you guys.

What? None of those are bad things. Options are good.

Action sequences aside, both Star Trek adventures are great but you have to give them more than 5 minutes.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 03 April 2016 06:30 PM

And btw, what did you do to configure the gog version?

It’s mostly configuring DOSBox properly (see the dosbox_*.conf files in the installation dir). The usual stuff: switch the renderer to openglnb, set fullresolution to desktop, turn on the aspect ratio correction so that the pictures don’t look squished, set the cycles to a reasonable fixed value rather than GOG’s insane default of “max”, etc.

Also configure the game to use MT-32 music rather than that nasty SoundBlaster soundtrack.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 04 April 2016 01:34 AM

Options are good.

I haven’t played the game yet, so I can’t comment on the specifics, but, as a blanket statement, that is very, very, very debatable.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Finished episode 1—with a 94% score.

Meh. Let’s say that was a tutorial of sorts, which would excuse the lacklustre gameplay (the interface is mostly fine once you get out of the Enterprise). That doesn’t account for the daft story, which would get rejected even for a kid’s show.

By the way, I’m always shocked whenever I remember how goofy the original Star Trek theme was. How did anyone ever manage to take that show seriously?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 05 April 2016 12:45 PM

That doesn’t account for the daft story, which would get rejected even for a kid’s show.

And yet you only got 94%! Tsk!

The stories get a lot better later. And in Judgment Rites even better.

I never liked the theme but it’s kind of fitting, in a cheesy 60s way.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar - 05 April 2016 12:54 PM

And yet you only got 94%! Tsk!

I guess it’s because my redshirt got shot at some point…? But he didn’t get killed (which the manual says is “frowned upon”), so I don’t know why the higher ups are complaining.

I never liked the theme but it’s kind of fitting, in a cheesy 60s way.

Hey, don’t blame the 60s! Doctor Who is a cheesy 60s show, and its theme (even in its original orchestration) is brilliant. Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 05 April 2016 12:45 PM

Finished episode 1—with a 94% score.

Meh. Let’s say that was a tutorial of sorts, which would excuse the lacklustre gameplay (the interface is mostly fine once you get out of the Enterprise). That doesn’t account for the daft story, which would get rejected even for a kid’s show.

By the way, I’m always shocked whenever I remember how goofy the original Star Trek theme was. How did anyone ever manage to take that show seriously?

Also finished it - 91%. Might have something to do with telling the brother I had no time for his knick-knacks. Also gave the skull to the alien, don’t know the impact. The choice system seems to be - Asshole Jim/Good Jim/By the Book Jim.
It does feel like kind of short story, tutorial to warm up.

A lot of the Star Trek stuff, like the theme, didn’t age well, probably why JJ Abrams just changed everything in the movie reboot.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m out.

Better things to do with my time than try to figure out how to win some shitty space fight sim.

Looks like you’re on your own, wilco. May the Force be with you or whatever.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished mission 2, 65% now, lots of moments you can mess up in the hostage situation. The interface is a bit annoying since combining the items can be a bit of a hassle. I got stuck in how to get the codes to get inside the ship, didn’t know you could make that use of the computer on board.

Kurufinwe - 06 April 2016 04:15 PM

I’m out.

Better things to do with my time than try to figure out how to win some shitty space fight sim.

Yeah it’s pretty bad. It is no Tie Fighter, that’s for sure. It’s just raise shield, arm weapons, keep telling the engineer to repair stuff and get lucky. I wish there was a code to bypass it.

Kurufinwe - 06 April 2016 04:15 PM

Looks like you’re on your own, wilco. May the Force be with you or whatever.

Lol, reminds me of:

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

My Trekkie loving mate had this game when it came out and really enjoyed it and it’s authenticity to the TV show.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

wilco - 06 April 2016 06:43 PM

Yeah it’s pretty bad. It is no Tie Fighter, that’s for sure. It’s just raise shield, arm weapons, keep telling the engineer to repair stuff and get lucky. I wish there was a code to bypass it.

I never finished it because of the final mission’s space combat. That was in 1994, but I’m not sure it’d be any easier for me now.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top