• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2016 07:13 AM

Well, they DID think of a lot of comments to put in there…

Surprised? Different branches, funny comments, easter eggs are an advantage, even a hallmark of text adventures. It’s much harder for graphic adventures, and even if they do succeed, like Edna & Harvey with its unique object combinations, the player doesn’t feel rewarded for typing clever commands he thought of himself. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 06 April 2016 07:13 AM

Could we have opened the cupboard from the other side?
Were our clothes in that coffer? Or was “undress” the only possible “change of clothes”???

Always interested in the branches of these things. Grin

Try it! You’ll find you make the most progress by examining everything closely and not, as a lot of people who have never played IF think, coming up with all kinds of crazy verbs. Although that can be fun too.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How about both Oscar and Karlok to be the quizmasters -  not that Oscar isn’t doing a wonderful job of leading it, but 2 people can cut the waiting time - OR as Karlok suggested that Oscar does the rudimentary stuff automatically (examine the room, pick up stuff…). Or I’m terribly wrong and we’re not progressing that slow at all.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 06 April 2016 08:46 AM

How about both Oscar and Karlok to be the quizmasters

I’m fine with that. But I fear that without Karlok playing there will be even slower progress.

Or should I examine and pick up everything every time I enter a new room? Would that work? There would still need to be others contributing.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 06 April 2016 08:29 AM

Try it! You’ll find you make the most progress by examining everything closely and not, as a lot of people who have never played IF think, coming up with all kinds of crazy verbs. Although that can be fun too.

Then let’s backtrack.

> up
> open cupboard
> look in cupboard
> south
> examine coffer
> open coffer
> look in coffer

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>UP
Landing

>OPEN CUPBOARD
Opened. It is a dark messy bed, set entirely within and filling the large cupboard. A cabin boy must sleep here when Jamison isn’t using it. Kicked into a far corner is a pile of clothes.

>LOOK IN CUPBOARD
It is a dark messy bed, set entirely within and filling the large cupboard. A cabin boy must sleep here when Jamison isn’t using it. Kicked into a far corner is a pile of clothes.

>S
You squeeze through the opening between cupboard and wall.

Captain’s Quarters

You can see a coffer here.

>EXAMINE COFFER
It is a small heavy chest, with a smashed lock. It is closed.

>OPEN COFFER
Opening the coffer reveals an invitation.
  The end of a rope ladder blows past the window.

>LOOK COFFER
It is a small heavy chest, with a smashed lock. It is open.

>

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 06 April 2016 08:57 AM

Or should I examine and pick up everything every time I enter a new room? Would that work? There would still need to be others contributing.

Yeah. I guess every self-respecting adventurer will examine the new room and pick up everything that isn’t nailed down. Grin (in reality, perhaps you can pick up stuff that are obvious from the description, but left out those that are not - perhaps, if the description says - a chest, and nothing more, you can let us “examine the chest”, and then pick up something that’s in the chest)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Okay, I’ll take diego’s suggestion and pick up the invitation and clothes - both pretty obvious moves. We’ll see how it goes.

>N
Landing

>ENTER CUPBOARD
Sleeping Cupboard
  The bed is softer than it looks, plumped up with fresh straw. A soft, if somewhat cramped, bunk for the tall bulk of Jamison. The cupboard opens to the fore.
  Kicked into a far corner is a pile of clothes.

>GET CLOTHES
You pick up the pile of clothes. It separates into a pair of breeches and a shirt.

>EXIT CUPBOARD
Landing

>S
You squeeze through the opening between cupboard and wall.

Captain’s Quarters
  You can see a coffer and an invitation here.

>GET INVITATION
Taken.

>GET COFFER
Taken.

>READ INVITATION
The invitation is addressed to “Davis”:

In Honor of Jean Lafond,
      recently proclaimed
    Governor of St. Sinistra
      A Dance at his Mansion
    Ananas Road, St. Sinistra
Formal Dress and Invitation Required.

A ball! You haven’t been to a ball in months!

>EXAMINE SHIRT
The shirt is clean and not too big.

>EXAMINE BREECHES
The breeches are about your size.

>I
You have an invitation, a coffer, breeches, a shirt, an invitation, a jewelled brooch, a missive and your reticule (hanging from your wrist). It seems that your reticule contains smelling salts and a banknote. You are wearing your kid slippers, a linen chemise and a cotton frock.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yeah, that looks great! Would it be too much if I asked for a map every time you enter a new room, with a little “You’re here!” dot/mark?! Also, I like that you’re ending the post with the list of a current inventory items. Perhaps you can end every post with the inventory list, because that’ll save us from scrolling up to see what we have in our bag. (I know, I’m a pain in the ass - but, someone who is not following the thread/game from the beginning, with the map and inventory in the last post has all the necessary info to join the game)

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Good idea. But I’m no master of Photoshop like yourself! So you’ll have to put up with the ol’ 2D, non-holographic kind of map. Wink

In future maps, your current location will be highlighted in dark blue as above.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I do believe we have another exit (or is it not my turn to suggest things?)

> undress
> wear shirt
> wear breeches
> open window
> climb rope ladder

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Now we’re flying Laughing

TimovieMan - 06 April 2016 10:58 AM

I do believe we have another exit (or is it not my turn to suggest things?)

By all means, suggest away! We don’t need to worry about turns - I think we’re in more danger of having too few suggestions than too many.

>UNDRESS
You strip down to your chemise.

>WEAR BREECHES
You tuck the linen chemise into the pants. You look a little fat, but now you can move freely.

>WEAR SHIRT
It fits loosely, masking your figure.

>OPEN WINDOW
These windows don’t open.

>CLIMB ROPE LADDER
It’s on the other side of the window. 

>I
You have your reticule (hanging from your wrist), a coffer, an invitation, a jewelled brooch, a missive and a cotton frock. It seems that your reticule contains smelling salts and a banknote. You are wearing a shirt, breeches, your kid slippers and a linen chemise.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Karlok - 06 April 2016 06:39 AM

Nobody has found any clothes yet, so you’re spoiling this playthrough for people who haven’t played Plundered Hearts. Please put any spoilers in spoiler tags.

Sorry, I’ve put spoiler tags around the bit where I confirmed where you could find some other clothes, but not around the bit about changing what you’re wearing since that applies equally well to removing what you’re already wearing.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Do you want to participate eriktorbjorn? The more the merrier! Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wow, the map looks great! Cool Oscar, you’re spoiling us! If I had the treatment like this every time, I wouldn’t mind playing ANY text adventure! Crazy

Oscar - 06 April 2016 11:12 AM

By all means, suggest away! We don’t need to worry about turns - I think we’re in more danger of having too few suggestions than too many.

Yeah, I agree. What the worst that can happen if one player makes too many commands?! Well, he can die, but then we’ll all laugh at him. Grin (Oscar, you DO note the score for each of us, right? Tongue - just kidding, don’t do that!)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top