• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>WAIT
Time passes…
  Crash! You whirl around to see the door shatter, kicked by a hulking man, his twisted visage blackened with soot and blood. “Me name’s Andy Crulley, and ladies learn to love me,” sniggers the pirate.

>EXAMINE SALTS
You always carry your smelling salts, for emergencies. There is a small tag on one side of them.
  “Avast me, but ain’t ye a beauty,” sniggers the pirate. His breath is heavy with rum.

>EXAMINE BANKNOTE
This is the banknote that came in your game package.
  “They calls me Andy, but I’m really randy,” sniggers the pirate, advancing toward you.
  Crulley drags you, despite your resistance, towards him. Then suddenly he grunts, stiffens and slumps into your arms. Stunned, Crulley collapses at your feet, his eyes rolling.
  A tall form blocks the shattered door, one fist still raised from striking your attacker. You catch a glimpse of the hard masculinity of his broad shoulders, the implied power in the scar that etches the stranger’s jaw, and feel tremors course through your veins. Then you realize how ragged are his shirt, patched breeches and high boots. Intuitively, you understand—he is the dreaded Falcon, scourge of the sea! Alas, your fate is sealed. Resigned, you meet his sea-blue eyes.

>OPEN PORTHOLE
This isn’t the opening kind of porthole.
  To your surprise, the stranger bows. “Well met, my lady.” His accent is cultured, his smile vibrant. “I am Captain Nicholas Jamison, known in these waters as ‘The Falcon’. Your father has sent me.” He chuckles at your glare of distrust. “Yes, you are like your sire. You needn’t believe me untried—I carry this.” He hands you a missive.
  “Cap’n Jamison! We’ve got ‘em!” cries a rough voice.

>HIDE
You can’t hide here.
  The pirate captain glances around the empty room, then notices the coffer in your arms. “Davis’s safety box—my men were hoping I’d find it.” He takes it and nudges the unconscious man on the floor, “I wonder how Crulley knew you were here? Just his bad luck? He’ll be flogged when he wakes.”
  The pirate bows. “My lady, may I offer my protection and my ship until your father is free?”
  With a creak and a crash, somewhere a mast falls to the deck.

diego - 05 April 2016 06:45 AM

Fart

(sorry, have to try it)

>FART
[I don’t know the word “fart.”]

Infocom games are spoilsports aren’t they?  Wink

TIP: Some useful commands are:
“Read”
“Wait”
“Speak to” (you have to specify what to say)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

- read missive
- no (to jamison)

EDIT: Hey, where did that pirate Crulley come from?? Oscar, you left out his entrance!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 05 April 2016 07:17 AM

- read missive
- no (to jamison)

EDIT: Hey, where did that pirate Crulley come from?? Oscar, you left out his entrance!

Fixed. No idea how that happened!

>READ MISSIVE
The missive is in dear Papa’s handwriting:

“Dearest child,
  You are in gravest danger! Lafond is a viper with the smile of a saint, my most particular enemy. I have only now learned the depth of his deception. Should Lafond get you in his power… It is unspeakable!
  I have sided with Nicholas Jamison, a sea captain and a gentleman, whose circumstances have driven him to extreme measures, even branding him a pirate. Nevertheless, I trust him and so may you.
  You will be safe—but there is another for whom I fear! My horse is waiting and I ride to her rescue. Jamison will deliver this to you. Should anything happen to me, you must rely on him. I remain, with love, your father.”

“We haven’t time to waste. Will you come willingly or not?” says Captain Jamison.

>JAMISON, NO
“No!” you say pertly.
  He sighs, “You share your father’s stubborn streak. I wished not to do this.” He leaps to your side, hauling you up onto his shoulder, and carries you out of the room. Captain Jamison sets you on your feet again on the horror of the deck.

Deck
  The deck is an avalanche of noise and blood. Lit by roaring fires, silhouetted forms crash swords, dancing around the screaming wounded.
  Out of the smoke staggers Davis, tugging a bloodied knife from the back of a pirate. Davis’s eyes gleam white from a face blackened and bloody, his lips dark red as if he has been drinking blood. He turns to face you.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

And I’d like to add that we are NO damsel in distress! We don’t need no steenking Falcon to save us from Randy Andy.  Tongue Well, maybe we do need him to save us from Davis.

Scream

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>SCREAM
Although your voice is quite piercing, no one notices you.
  Davis leaps across the deck to your side, “Free me or she dies!” he yells, jabbing a knife up to your throat. In one smooth motion, Captain Jamison draws his rapier, pulls you free and stabs. Davis slumps into a bloody heap.
  Swooning, you fall into the Falcon’s arms. You are dimly aware of being carried to the other ship, down a short flight of stairs, and laid gently on a soft bed. When you gather strength to look around, the Falcon has left you in peace.
  You remain confined to this room, a large cupboard blocking the door. Meals are brought by a peg-legged old man and eaten in silence. Of your handsome rescuer you see nothing. Slowly the days pass.

TWO DAYS LATER…

You blear awake from a bored nap, focusing on something shiny. You discern it to be a new ring, on a strong hand in the act of tying a ribbon onto a rapier.
  The man with the rapier and the ring turns, “Sorry, I tried not to wake you.” You sit up as if the bed had caught fire, for this is the Falcon, changed from his rags to a finery all red velvet and white lace—and in your presence!

(Part II)

Captain’s Quarters, on the bed
  You are in the captain’s quarters of the Helena Louise, where you have been trapped these past days since your “rescue” from the Lafond Deux. The room has a masculine air, with ebony panelling, a large messy table, and a rumpled bed (upon which you lie). A curtain masks the forward exit and gilded woodwork decorates the sill of the tall window looking aft.

>

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

LOL, hiding was pretty useless AFTER they’d knocked down the door. Can you hide under the bed before they do so? Can you use the coffer to knock out Andy? What happens if you say “yes” to Jamison? Does the game recognize “aye” instead of “yes”? Tongue

> read small tag (the one on the salts)
> examine table
> examine bed
> examine curtain
> look window

Btw, what’s the use of the “wait” option? Doesn’t time pass simply by examining/trying stuff?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 05 April 2016 09:03 AM

LOL, hiding was pretty useless AFTER they’d knocked down the door. Can you hide under the bed before they do so? Can you use the coffer to knock out Andy? What happens if you say “yes” to Jamison? Does the game recognize “aye” instead of “yes”? Tongue

>falcon, aye
[I don’t know the word “aye.”]

But…when you save your game:

>save
Aye-aye.

You can’t hide under the bed at any time, for some reason.

Hitting Andy with the coffer doesn’t do a lot:

>hit andy with coffer
With all your strength you whack the pirate over the head with the coffer.
  The pirate stumbles, dizzy. “Avast me, but ain’t ye a beauty,” slurs the pirate. His breath is heavy with rum.

And if you hit him after Falcon attacks him:

>hit andy with coffer
It is thoroughly unladylike to hit a man when he’s down!

Laughing

> read small tag (the one on the salts)
> examine table
> examine bed
> examine curtain
> look window

Btw, what’s the use of the “wait” option? Doesn’t time pass simply by examining/trying stuff?

WAIT is useful when you simply wish to pass time. In this game, it’s probably better to spend it examining stuff but a lot of text adventures depend on doing certain things at certain times, so it can be useful.

>READ TAG
It says, “For cases of vapors, hysteria or collapse, revive persons with the smelling salts.”

>EXAMINE TABLE
You have no need for that, milady.
  “We have anchored off St. Sinistra,” says Captain Jamison, “and I must look like a guest at Lafond’s dance tonight. I will find and free your father, and then finally wreak my revenge on Lafond.” He half draws his rapier from its scabbard.

>EXAMINE BED
Other than yourself, you can see nothing on the bed.
  “I am sorry you have been confined down here, but I don’t trust my lonely crew with such beauty. Crulley isn’t the only man aboard with few principles.” He smiles at you, eyes lingering, and takes your hand. You feel your color rising. “If anything goes wrong, turn to Cookie. He is quite deaf, but capable. He’ll see you through.”

>EXAMINE CURTAIN
You can only tell that the curtain is closed.
  His look darkens. “You should know why I hate Lafond: Some years ago, as my brother and his bride sailed to a new life in Virginia, pirates struck. Their ship was boarded, looted and burned, the women taken, never to be seen again. A sailor, the one survivor, watched as a man of Lafond’s description shot my brother in the back as he tried to save the women. Lafond has now bought respectability, but he shall never buy peace.” Jamison straightens resolutely, bows, and departs.

>LOOK AT WINDOW
Tall panes of glass are inset into the ledge.

>

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 05 April 2016 09:03 AM

LOL, hiding was pretty useless AFTER they’d knocked down the door. Can you hide under the bed before they do so?

Nope. What you can do, is put Crulley under the bed although he doesn’t stay there when the ship rolls. Smile

Can you use the coffer to knock out Andy?

Yes! Good girl, Timovieman.

What happens if you say “yes” to Jamison?

Slightly different response from Jamison, but the same thing. You don’t really want to stay with Davis and his crew, do you…?

Does the game recognize “aye” instead of “yes”? Tongue

No, but it should, because it replies “aye” when you save/restore.

WAIT or Z for short is a very useful command. In timed sequences, for instance when you’re hiding and waiting for something to happen or someone to come along. Or when you restore to try something new and don’t need to examine stuff anymore.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 05 April 2016 08:05 AM

And I’d like to add that we are NO damsel in distress! We don’t need no steenking Falcon to save us from Randy Andy!

*ahem*

>score
In 22 turns, you have achieved a score of 0 out of 25 points. This gives you the rank of Damsel in Distress.

Tongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oops! I was still writing when you posted, Oscar.

Oscar - 05 April 2016 09:32 AM

>hit andy with coffer
  The pirate stumbles, dizzy. “Avast me, but ain’t ye a beauty,” slurs the pirate. His breath is heavy with rum.

>hit andy with coffer

Yeah, but when you hit Randy Andy twice with the coffer, he’ll go down and you’ll earn the Falcon’s admiration. 

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 05 April 2016 09:40 AM

Oops! I was still writing when you posted, Oscar.

Oscar - 05 April 2016 09:32 AM

>hit andy with coffer

>hit andy with coffer

Yeah, but when you hit Randy Andy twice with the coffer, he’ll go down and you’ll earn the Falcon’s admiration. 

Nice find! I never knew that.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

So, is Cutthroat Island inspired by this game? Smile (and just today I seen The Bounty with Mel Gibson/Antony Hopkins, so I’l certainly in some sea adventure mood)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Look out window
Open curtain
Look past curtain

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>LOOK OUT WINDOW
The moon beckons across the lagoon to St. Sinistra. Moored to the stern is a skiff.

>OPEN CURTAIN
You can’t reach the curtain from the bed.

>LOOK THROUGH CURTAIN
You can only tell that the curtain is closed.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Walk to curtain
Open curtain

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top