• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The age of VR is starting

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

or not, maybe it will never gain traction and 3 years now it will be dead like motion controls.

But for now it seems like the next big thing and the big 3 have layed out plans:

HTC Vive
Release date - early April
Price - $799 / €899 / £689
Comes packed with everything needed (except the high-end PC)

Oculus Rift
Release date - March 28
Price - $599 / €699 / £499
Comes with Xbox controller. Doens’t have the motion controller packed in (I think)

Playstation VR
Release Date - October
Price $399 / €399 / £349
PS4 exclusive, also needs the PS4 camera sold separately

So, anyone had experience with any of them or are interested in jumping in this year?
I might go PVR on release because I want to see what the fuss is all about and already have the PS4 and camera. Will be interested on how the others 2 evolve, what games will be available and when the price goes lower (because the euro prices are ridiculous).

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

my mum always warned me against sticking my face against tv!, i guess i am gonna take her advice this time, and pass on this, and at the same time hold on to whatever left in my wallet Laughing

but seriously who has this Oculus Rift or similarity? how many adventure gamers really could be tempted by it? to my expectations; i couldn’t say it is even close to 1% of the genre fans here or out there!, not to mention how many adventures that were released to go with this platform at the 1st place!... expect for the upcoming Obduction i am aware of nothing?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A lot of the first person games will have Rift support at least (and probably Vive), games like Xing, Ether One, Among the Sleep, Witness, etc.
But no doubt the best way is to wait until prices go down and there is more support IF its sucessfull

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

I love VR! Smile  I just bought a Samsung Gear VR headset for £50 and using it with my Galaxy S6.

The lens resolution is higher on the Gear VR than the Rift and Vive, but the phone can’t push enough power compared to pc, so you get fairly low res visuals. But it’s a great way of trying VR. Even so, the experience is mind blowing. You’re literally dropped inside a game world, and everything above, below and all around you is lifesize. I’ve been having a lot of fun with this free game I downloaded from the Oculus store

and I’ll probably be buying this Myst type puzzle game.

Youtube videos tell you nothing of the experience, only of the content. Even the most boring arcade type games are likely to be fun in a VR environment. It really is a gamechanger. However, yes, I can’t see most adventure gamers going for it. Maybe a small percentage will be interested, playing some games in VR and other games the normal way. I think though that VR can make puzzles in games more visceral, especially with motion controllers that will allow you to have the sensation of physically feeling levers, valves and other puzzle mechanics.

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I’d love to get into VR, but not at those prices. I refuse to buy a peripheral with limited application that costs as much as, or more than, the equipment I am hooking it up to. So it looks like that will leave me out for the forseeable future. Which is a bit sad, because I would LOVE to play something like Obduction for the first time in VR.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I am torn between Oculus Rift and PS VR. But I think I might wait a little, till they become more mainstream before I buy one.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve done Oculus Rift, it was amazing. Not for everyone - but I loved it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Why not for everyone?

I’d love to play a game like Obduction or Xing with the Oculus Rift. But the price… Frown

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i think these headsets will eventually do very interesting things, but presently what they do can be accomplished by a piece of cardboard (take a look at google cardboard, spend about $15 on it, and you can experience vr) along with a tablet or phone.
The difference is your tablet isnt able to natively interact with games on your pc… so with something like the occulus youre basically buying a tablet inside of a headset thats been tuned to work with your OS.
Its really all about developer support.
So ultimately i think the price of these headsets is going to fall quickly: a lot.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

zane - 22 March 2016 12:09 PM

i think these headsets will eventually do very interesting things, but presently what they do can be accomplished by a piece of cardboard (take a look at google cardboard, spend about $15 on it, and you can experience vr) along with a tablet or phone.
The difference is your tablet isnt able to natively interact with games on your pc… so with something like the occulus youre basically buying a tablet inside of a headset thats been tuned to work with your OS.
Its really all about developer support.

While that was the case for the early developer kits, I don’t think that still holds for the consumer versions of the headsets. Apparently, the screens are custom made for the Rift, as are the lenses. Tracking also makes a big difference, which is quite limited with a tablet inside a cardboard.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

zane - 22 March 2016 12:09 PM

I’d go as far as to say cardboard is not really VR. It’s cheap and it’s cool to be able to see some stereoscopic videos, 360 degrees panoramas, etc… but once you’ll try some high-end VR like Rift CV1 or especially HTC Vive (the most complete package at the moment, because of included hand controllers and large tracking volume) you’ll see, there’s simply no comparison. “Presence” is a really powerful thing and definitely not just a buzz word. As with anything VR though, you’ll have to experience it to understand.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Advie - 16 March 2016 06:00 PM

my mum always warned me against sticking my face against tv!, i guess i am gonna take her advice this time, and pass on this, and at the same time hold on to whatever left in my wallet Laughing

but seriously who has this Oculus Rift or similarity? how many adventure gamers really could be tempted by it? to my expectations; i couldn’t say it is even close to 1% of the genre fans here or out there!, not to mention how many adventures that were released to go with this platform at the 1st place!... expect for the upcoming Obduction i am aware of nothing?

There are a few good efforts.  I have the Gear VR and both Lands End and Dead Secret are impressive adventure games in different ways.  Lands End is easy and only has one type of puzzle(all puzzles involve using your gaze to move objects) but manages to really make you feel the “presence” of VR and has a very appealing art style.  Dead Secret is more like a traditional adventure game in terms of having logic and inventory-based puzzles(as well as a solid story) but it also does a good job with its presence and can genuinely creep you out at times.  Both these games are relatively short but do show that VR has a lot of promise for the genre.

On the negative….those prices, requirements, and the lack of mobility for the mainstream devices I think are a major deterrent to VR really coming into play.  And even though the Gear VR is a great experience in my view for the price($99), you can only use it with a select number of Samsung phones at present.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Advie - 16 March 2016 06:00 PM

Actually, Vive hand controllers (and later in the year Rift’s Touch) are a perfect match for adventure games.
There are two adventure titles for VR, that I’m really looking forward to:

Thunderbird
http://store.steampowered.com/app/355460/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_2

The Gallery
http://store.steampowered.com/app/270130/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1

But there’s one important distinction between monitor games and VR. High end VR (like Vive) feels more like an experience than a game. You are actually physically performing and doing tasks versus playing games with abstract input like mouse and keyboard.
VR is very interesting medium and while still in its baby diapers (and as such not for everyone), this first generation of consumer HMDs is already very impressive and a big step up from developer kits and mobile VR.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It doesnt really have anything to offer for our standard point&click; 3rd perspective games.
It does benefit titles that are like the witness or talos principle. A part of the adventure genre… but certainly not the whole.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

HitBattousai - 26 March 2016 02:44 AM

There are a few good efforts.  I have the Gear VR and both Lands End and Dead Secret are impressive adventure games in different ways.  Lands End is easy and only has one type of puzzle(all puzzles involve using your gaze to move objects) but manages to really make you feel the “presence” of VR and has a very appealing art style.  Dead Secret is more like a traditional adventure game in terms of having logic and inventory-based puzzles(as well as a solid story) but it also does a good job with its presence and can genuinely creep you out at times.  Both these games are relatively short but do show that VR has a lot of promise for the genre.

On the negative….those prices, requirements, and the lack of mobility for the mainstream devices I think are a major deterrent to VR really coming into play.  And even though the Gear VR is a great experience in my view for the price($99), you can only use it with a select number of Samsung phones at present.

I just started the demo of Dreadhalls. Looks like an Amnesia type affair, but being all around me, I’ve not yet mustered the courage to delve too far in yet!  Laughing

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

With the first Rift kits being delivered (don’t watch the the video of Palmer delivering the first one…) I’m seeing some adventures showing up on Steam:

Adrift
Dead Secret
Amigdala

Althought the first batch will probably be products rushed for the release

zane - 27 March 2016 08:06 AM

It doesnt really have anything to offer for our standard point&click; 3rd perspective games.
It does benefit titles that are like the witness or talos principle. A part of the adventure genre… but certainly not the whole.

City Quest showed us how third-person adventures can work with VR Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top