• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #8: The Last Express

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A Clue in every car. A stranger in every seat. Danger at every destination.

Time for a new challenge, this time I propose we tackle a big classic and one of the biggest games in my personal pile of shame: The Last Express
I don’t think it needs big intros but it’s was developed by Jordan Mechner, creator of Prince of Persia and feeatures one of the most uniques systems and mechanics in the genre.

How long?
8 days to finish again.

Where to get it?
The game is available in most digital online stores. Also available for iOS/Android. There are 2 versions of the game . the original and the Gold edition but I don’t don’t there are many differences but the Gold edition has a hint system and a different UI.

Why play it?
Well, it placed number 7 in the top 100 adventures ever list, and being a game with a complex gameplay system and plot (I think) seems like a good candidate for a group playthrough discussion for both first time players like me and others just replaying.

Now some tips for newbies would be welcome

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ll copy my advice from the TLE community playthrough 8 years ago.

For those of you who are playing The Last Express for the first time:

- If there’s an error message when starting the game, simply ignore it.

- TLE does not have the usual adventure format and it’s a good idea to read the manual.

- Some problems have more than one solution, escpecially in the first part of the game.

- The game is automatically saved. Instead of rewinding manually whenever the game ends prematurely, I recommend using the auto-rewind. It will take you to a point in time where the game is still winnable. And there are many ways to end the game. Be prepared to die, get arrested, leave the train, etcetera.

- You will have to fight four or five times. The fights are short and easy (except maybe the last one), it’s mostly a matter of knowing where to put your cursor.  People who hate action sequences can use the cheat. It’s not in my manual, so here’s what you do: Click on the egg clock to go to the clock screen and click on the clock to go back to the fight. Repeat until you’ve “won” the fight. A rather convoluted cheat, I must say… only slightly easier than the fight itself.

- Most people dislike the rotoscoped stills at first. But most people also get used to them pretty soon. Smile In fights and some cut scenes the animation is normal.

- You will hear Russian, Arabic, Servian, German, French and of course English spoken on the train. The protagonist, Robert Cath, speaks French and a little Russian. That’s the reason you see English subtitles for those languages, but not for the other ones.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh hm i didnt even know there was an android version now. Not sure whether to go with that or gog.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks Karlok, I checked the CP thread yesterday and was to post a link there but today I forgot…  Pan

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 10 March 2016 02:30 PM

Oh hm i didnt even know there was an android version now. Not sure whether to go with that or gog.

The Android version is the same as PC version, so it shouldn’t matter which you play.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I think they fucked up the beautiful original credits in the android version. I’m going to play the GOG one, which may not have the credits either, I don’t know, but at least it won’t have intruding pop-ups, achievements, character profiles, and hints.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I actually have both versions, but I will be using the GOG version, as I have never grown comfortable playing AG on my tablet.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i believe the gog version is simply a dosbox package of the original, so probably no changes.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

This has been on my “to-play” list for so long, but I’m way too busy now unfortunately. Have fun guys!

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

The sign of a very good game: even though iv played this much of it before, i still got chills opening the room at the beginning to find a dead body

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wilco - 10 March 2016 01:37 PM

A Clue in every car. A stranger in every seat. Danger at every destination.

Time for a new challenge, this time I propose we tackle a big classic and one of the biggest games in my personal pile of shame: The Last Express
I don’t think it needs big intros but it’s was developed by Jordan Mechner, creator of Prince of Persia and feeatures one of the most uniques systems and mechanics in the genre.

How long?
8 days to finish again.

Where to get it?
The game is available in most digital online stores. Also available for iOS/Android. There are 2 versions of the game . the original and the Gold edition but I don’t don’t there are many differences but the Gold edition has a hint system and a different UI.

Why play it?
Well, it placed number 7 in the top 100 adventures ever list, and being a game with a complex gameplay system and plot (I think) seems like a good candidate for a group playthrough discussion for both first time players like me and others just replaying.

Now some tips for newbies would be welcome

Not sure, but is it the intent of these eight-day “Flash Mob” play throughs to put all the other play throughs out of business? Sure seems that way.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I have been wanting to give this another shot and play through it for the first time! I might not be able to keep up though, got a lot of things on my plate right now.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

just reached strasbourg and again chills with the well done nightmare sequence. Very good atmosphere.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

rtrooney - 10 March 2016 09:30 PM

Not sure, but is it the intent of these eight-day “Flash Mob” play throughs to put all the other play throughs out of business? Sure seems that way.

Chrissie is pretty much the only person who’s a (semi-)regular in both these challenges and the casual playthroughs. So, no, it doesn’t seem that way at all.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Started up the game, and I have to say, so far I’m not impressed, and not just because it took me about 2 minutes to reach an end of game Meh

The main problem I have is that there is no subtitles on the spoken English, and the voice acting is of a quality where I can hardly make out a single word they are saying. So far the only thing I have understood was two girls speaking French, because that is subtitled. Don’t understand why they didn’t add subtitles for English.

But also both the graphics and the navigation seems very clumsy, though I hope that I will get used to that.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zane - 10 March 2016 08:57 PM

The sign of a very good game: even though iv played this much of it before, i still got chills opening the room at the beginning to find a dead body

Me too. Smile It’s the combination of Cath’s voice and the sudden music. The music is used so well in the game.

just reached strasbourg and again chills with the well done nightmare sequence. Very good atmosphere.

Easter egg after Cath has gone to bed: ring the bell for the conductor three times before leaving your compartment.

I will hide spoilers of course, but I don’t see the point of using spoiler tags for nice details that are not relevant to the plot. The best way to get to talk to the lovely woman in red aka Anna Wolff is to have Schmidt introduce you to her. Hover around her table in the dining car and wait for Schmidt to leave. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top