• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! #6: Shadow of the Comet

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Alright, let’s get some Lovecraft in here. For the sixth challenge I’ve chosen Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet, the Infogrames masterpiece from 1993 inspired by the writings of HP Lovecraft.

The year is 1910. Bathed in pale Spring sunlight, the small fishing port of Illsmouth is a sleepy New England town where time seems to stand still. Appearances can be very deceiving, however .... Beneath the peaceful tranquility of this small village, a horrifying truth lingers.

How long?
8 days is the norm so far for the challenges so I’m sticking with it. I never played this one so I hope it’s enough. So deadline in next Sunday 28th February.

Where to get it?
Game is on sale on gog this weekend (70%). Also available on other digital stores

Why play it?
The adventuregamers review says it all:

Unique puzzles? Brilliant story? Hard game? Seems great for a community discussion. So either it’s a game stuck in backlog (my case) or a replay of classic let’s get this done. And of course, anyone that doesn’t want to play can still join in on the discussion.

Kurufinwe - 20 February 2016 10:33 AM

One note about the controls: they’re really not that bad, as long as you don’t try to use the mouse (the original floppy version didn’t even have mouse support; they tried to add it for the CD version, but it’s awful). But just use the keyboard, learn the shortcuts (L to Look at stuff, G to Get an item, M for the Map, etc.) and you’ll do fine.

Also, if you’re playing the GOG version, make sure to tweak the config—at the very least turn on aspect ratio correction. (The GOG people are pretty useless at setting up DOSBox.)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Everyone is in for a treat. A gripping atmosphere, somewhat similar to Gabriel Knight 1. Bear in mind, though that controls are sort of a “precursor” to Grim Fandango and need some time to get used to (but it’s worth it).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

“...the game itself can prove too tough for some people.”

Oh boy.  Cry Why are they always talking about me?

I’m joining anyway. Bought the game when it was nominated for the official playthrough and of course never made it.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

No time to replay it, but I loooved it. Not the best Lovecraft adaptation, in my opinion (Dark Corners Of The Earth for me!), and the character portraits were, uhm, familiar, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah, controls are a bitch, keep in mind.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m on the fence about this. On the one hand, the second murder just happened on Danganronpa, and I really want to get back to that. On the other hand, I was also on the fence about replaying TWAU, and ended up regretting not taking part in the challenge. So…

One note about the controls: they’re really not that bad, as long as you don’t try to use the mouse (the original floppy version didn’t even have mouse support; they tried to add it for the CD version, but it’s awful). But just use the keyboard, learn the shortcuts (L to Look at stuff, G to Get an item, M for the Map, etc.) and you’ll do fine.

Also, if you’re playing the GOG version, make sure to tweak the config—at the very least turn on aspect ratio correction. (The GOG people are pretty useless at setting up DOSBox.)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Shadow has a solid atmosphere and I dig the plot, but man it has the worst UI ever designed for adventure games. Or any other genre for the matter.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Coincidentally I started playing it yesterday. I have almost finished it I think.

But this game is undoable without a walkthrough lol.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, it has its fair share of unfair puzzle design. My honest star review would give it 2 stars at the most, despite it has some good stuff going for it as well. It really would be a good candidate for a remake.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Skipping this one as I’ve still haven’t finished Memoria. Sorry.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Greeeeeat game, I do not know how you are going to do to finish the game in just 8 days. I remember it was quite difficult.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve bought & downloaded the game, so far just started & ‘playing around’ to check out the interface (not the easiest I’ve come across!) - I was thinking it was the oldest game I’ve played on PC but not so as MI is older - yes?  Smile I like the atmosphere so far & am going to persist….. so back soon!  Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Added Kurufinwe tips about the controls to the OP (thanks)

Seems like the game will be a real challenge by the comments Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Origami - 20 February 2016 10:57 AM

i plan to put that to the full test Tongue
im not going to use a walkthrough unless on the verge of quitting.

iv played for about an hour and so far (controls aside) its a pleasant surprise. I wasnt even aware this is voiced. My biggest complaint so far is the awkward pauses at the end of every dialogue… i can press enter to advance them forward.. but this frequently results in accidentally skipping over the next dialogue. Any tricks for improving this?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

OK, now I have to replay the game just because I really don’t remember it being that hard. As I remember, day 1 is just walking around and talking to people. Day 2 starts off with one puzzle that seems to be missing all the necessary clues, but the rest of the day was pretty good. I definitely remember day 3 being very, very iffy gameplaywise, but I think it was more tedious than head-scratchingly hard.

Oh well, I guess I’ll have to play and see for myself.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 20 February 2016 03:32 PM
Origami - 20 February 2016 10:57 AM

i plan to put that to the full test Tongue
im not going to use a walkthrough unless on the verge of quitting.

iv played for about an hour and so far (controls aside) its a pleasant surprise. I wasnt even aware this is voiced. My biggest complaint so far is the awkward pauses at the end of every dialogue… i can press enter to advance them forward.. but this frequently results in accidentally skipping over the next dialogue. Any tricks for improving this?

Also have this and speech seems to go faster than the text, trying to find some way to make this better. Found this on the gog forums but not been able to fix it yet.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I really like the close up faces. The voices are so-so. The interface is not good at all but doesn’t take much no get used to it. Best part of the intro:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top