• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Notropolis - GOG version

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Noctropolis from GOG appears to install correctly but when I run it I get this error:

which, as I understand it, is a programming error. I can’t find another example of this for Noctropolis, and, before contacting GOG support, thought I’d ask here.

System spec (probably irrelevant but in case):

Intel Core I7 6 core 3.5ghz
32GB DDR4 RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 780Ti x 2 running in SLI (latest drivers installed)
Windows 8.1 (fully patched)

TIA

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Did you search for a solution on google for that particular error?

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Origami - 29 January 2016 04:40 PM

Did you search for a solution on google for that particular error?

Indeed I did. That’s how I know it’s almost certainly a programme error. However, if it is a programme error, I find it rather unlikely I’m the only one suffering from the problem but that does appear to be the case at the moment.

I also forgot to say in my original post that I’ve tried compatibility mode down to XP Service Pack 3 and that didn’t work either.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Sent the problem to GOG who replied pretty promptly with several suggestions, the first of which resolved the problem. In case anyone else has the same problem and reads here:

“Could you clarify, if you used Galaxy in the past, and then you uninstalled it and you are not using it currently? If so, then please make sure that all Galaxy files are removed. To do this, firstly uninstall GOG Galaxy, by running the unins000.exe file located in the GOG Galaxy installation folder (by default C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient).
Go to C:\ProgramData\GOG.com, and delete the “Galaxy” folder. Make sure to show hidden files and folders in the “Folder and search options”, if you haven’t done so already.”

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

GOG has started integrating Galaxy with their game executables, even though they still claim to be “DRM-free.” You don’t have to use Galaxy to download to get a Galaxy-infected executable from them. I don’t know how many games have been infected, but this “Galaxy integration” has caused technical problems with some games.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

The follow-up email I got from GOG when I informed them that removing Galaxy fixed the problem said that Noctropolis was trying to access Galaxy but as my version was an old one it caused the error above which does suggest that Galaxy is trying to do an ET and call home.
The reason I only had an old version of Galaxy was that I tried it and didn’t like it so stopped using hence the old version still resident on my PC. As I see no real value in Galaxy (apart from patch release) I do a direct download from GOG which does at least allow me control of the download process.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

If GOG hadn’t integrated Galaxy hooks into the game’s executable, it wouldn’t matter whether you had Galaxy installed or not, or which version of Galaxy if it was installed.

Even if you download the game through your web browser, without using Galaxy, it’s had these Galaxy hooks inserted into it, which can cause technical problems.

If you use a software firewall, you’ll have to make an exception in your firewall for the game, even if you’re not using Galaxy and it’s not an online game. Otherwise the game won’t start. The same game from a truly DRM-free website that doesn’t use a client won’t require you to punch a hole in your firewall. For example the Humble version of the new “Order of the Thorne: The King’s Challenge” game doesn’t require messing with your firewall, while the GOG version of the same game won’t start unless you make an exception for the game in your firewall. If you are using Galaxy, you have to punch a hole in your firewall for Galaxy as well as for the game.

I do not want to use Galaxy myself and resent that GOG has forced it into exe’s for games that are supposed to be “DRM-free.” I’ve bought over two hundred games from GOG, including games I already owned on disc, because I thought GOG was sincere about remaining “DRM-free” and providing buyers with the games either as the developer created them, or tweaked to run on new computers, but not with extra unwanted junk like Galaxy added. How am I supposed to trust them now after they pull this kind of stunt?

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’m afraid that that’s not accurate crabapple.
Once I’d deleted Galaxy the game ran fine without any need to change my firewall (Kaspersky) in any way whatsoever. Added to that I’d installed Noctropolis on one of my backup machines to test as to whether I’d got a corrupted download. That PC wasn’t even hooked up to the internet and the game ran fine from the off. (well, not fine exactly. No sound. And anyone who played the original game way back when will no doubt remember how difficult it could be to configure sound for the game. This time it was just my PC sound setup that was the problem).
I don’t disagree with your view regarding the Galaxy “hooks” being present but it’s not quite as bad as you were making out.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It might depend on the firewall.
Using Zone Alarm, Order of the Thorne would not start and crashed without an error message.

GOG tech support said “this is a known issue with some firewalls and our games.”

Internet access may not be necessary for the game, but the games with Galaxy hooks want to communicate with Galaxy even if you don’t have Galaxy installed—and they do it in a way that provokes the firewall. If your firewall blocks the game’s attempted communication with Galaxy, the game won’t start, whether you’re connected to the Internet or not.

I don’t know how long the “Galaxy integration” has been incorporated into GOG’s game exe’s. Although I’ve bought games from GOG pretty regularly I often don’t have time to play them for months. This was the first time I had an issue with my firewall with a GOG game and I was very angry to learn what the problem was.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Since I installed the old version of Galaxy and then stopped using it I’ve bought and installed BoUT 2, Syberia 2, Gone Home, Dreamfall, Runaway 2, and The Black Mirror along with Noctropolis. Noctropolis is the only one to cause me problems courtesy of Galaxy.
Given that one of the aims of Galaxy is to auto check for updates (among other things) then, by definition, Galaxy has to check if any updates are available when the game runs. If someone is not using Galaxy then the game/Galaxy shouldn’t be checking back with GOG. Right now I don’t know if that is the case or not.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top