• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! Inkle’s 80 Days

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Challenge 4:

For the new challenge, something a little bit different: Inkle’s acclaimed 80 Days.

The game is a retelling of Jules Verne’s Around the World in 80 Days, set in a re-imagined, steam-punk, post-colonial 19th century.

It plays mostly as a Choose your own adventure book, and therefore involves reading some fine prose by author Meg Jayanth and making choices. It’s almost infinitely replayable, with over 150 cities to explore, connected by hundreds of routes, and you never know on what adventure you might stumble. (A typical playthrough only goes through 20-30 cities.)

The game is available on phones and tablets (iOS and Android), as well as PC and Mac (Steam and GOG). All the versions are functionally identical, so it’s only a matter of what’s more convenient for you. (And it’s a bit cheaper on mobile.)

A few special rules for this challenge:

1. You have 8 days, starting NOW.

2. Because each playthrough is only a few hours and the game thrives on replayability, you have to do two full playthroughs to complete the challenge. (It doesn’t matter if you manage to do the trip in less than 80 Days, as long as you return to London.)

3. When you finish a playthrough, the game will give you the option to share your journey. Feel free to do so and post the link, so that we can know exactly what route you followed.

4. Because each playthrough is pretty short, please make a conscious effort to post about it regularly. Let’s say, every 20-ish in-game days?

That’s it! Let us know if you’re playing, and have fun!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 February 2016 06:20 AM

1. You have 8 days

Surely, you meant 80 days? Grin Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

A few words of advice, that you may feel free to skip: The game is about the journey, not the destination. There’s no penalty for taking more than 80 days to reach London. (Well, Fogg might grumble a little.) Sure, trying to min-max your funds and travel time is a valid way to play the game, but I found it much more enjoyable to explore this fascinating world, filled with colourful characters and crazy adventures.

Depending on the route you choose and the decisions you make, you might take part in a revolution, solve a murder, win a boxing tournament, join an expedition to the North Pole, do a dangerous mission for a sentient automaton, hook up with a transvestite, visit Atlantis, fight slavers (or possibly assist them), discover the secrets of the mysterious Artificers’ Guild, find true love, and learn all you’ve ever wanted to know about the geopolitics of bird droppings! So enjoy!

For my first playthrough, I want to go to Canada. The latest update added several North American cities, so that’s what I’ll try to do this time. Then again, I had the same objective the last time I played and ended up in Buenos Aires… So we’ll see what happens this time.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

diego - 03 February 2016 06:26 AM
Kurufinwe - 03 February 2016 06:20 AM

1. You have 8 days

Surely, you meant 80 days? Grin Crazy

Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Like Phileas Fogg said more than 100 years ago: Challenge Accepted!

I’m not sure how the game will play, I’ve only seen screenshots. Will play the iOS version

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Heres what iv been able to research: apparently the pc version was released with a large content update with the plans to bring that update to the other platforms later. What i havnt confirmed is if that update came out.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

zane - 03 February 2016 08:09 AM

Heres what iv been able to research: apparently the pc version was released with a large content update with the plans to bring that update to the other platforms later. What i havnt confirmed is if that update came out.

It did. All versions have the same content.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Allright then, might as well go with android at 1/2 the cost and portability

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

OK, here’s one I haven’t played yet. I’m down to do this challenge.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Alright then. If the Android version is the same as the PC one, I think that’s my platform of choise.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What a fantastic atmosphere this one has. It’s very simple in style, but I really like how they’ve used music and sound effects to enhance the locations as well as the narrative itself. Out of this kind of intearctive choose your own adventure books I’d say 80 Days is among the best.

What also amazes me is the amount of travel locations the game has. It seems to offer a lot of replay value in that sense, though as I’ve only played it a couple of hours, I don’t know how much there’s variation betweeb the locations. But what I’ve seen now is very well written and the steam punk twist is a nice touch.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

This is reminding me strongly of sunless sea, which i would highly recommend to people who enjoy this type of play.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmm, am i missing a good way to organize your inventory? It feels like a i tap on an item and drag… and i can barely move it into a open slot of suitcase thats directly next to it, never mind when you have many suitcases.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, I’m 19 days in and sitting relatively pretty in Kabul!

I literally can’t remember how far I got with this game last time I tried but this is a great chance to push on with it.

I have to say one of the things I really like about this game and the Sorcery games before this is that they are really innovative and not just a rush job transcription of Steve Jackson or Jules Verne. I like the look of this game, it really does feel like something new and is a great way to “dress up” what is essentially a text adventure (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that).

The game really throws you in to the thick of things and it took me a little while to adjust to the gameplay this time and previous. I think that the timer moving on just panicked me initially and you just have to dive in and try and work out what is going on. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though and does compliment the “at the drop of a hat” nature of Fogg’s bet.

I did find the inventory a little confusing at first. You tap (android 4 the winz) on the suitcase you want and then drag things, but it is not always easy to move them to another suitcase I found - similar to you Zane. Maybe it’s easier on PC or tablet when you have a bigger screen because when you have “selected” one case the other one is half off the screen and then the whole orientation changes as you move. Not too much of a bother really.

I like the way that as well as choices for destinations and courses of action etc. you can even choose the narration to some extent, this giving your Passepartout something of a distinct personality.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Okay, I’ve completed my first play through. It took me 83 days, which was a bummer as I lost 3 days to a silly mistake on one point, when I misread a price of a trip and ended up waiting a couple of days before I re-read the price tag and realised I didn’t have enough money for that particular route.

But yeah, overall, 80 Days is a very solid interactive ficion game book. I ended the game having 300 pounds in cash, so the money management wasn’t that tasking, but a nice addition to the overall experience.

I think I’ll be having an another go with it, just to see how much variation there’s in the narrative as well.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

tomimt - 04 February 2016 08:14 AM

Okay, I’ve completed my first play through. It took me 83 days, which was a bummer as I lost 3 days to a silly mistake on one point, when I misread a price of a trip and ended up waiting a couple of days before I re-read the price tag and realised I didn’t have enough money for that particular route.

But yeah, overall, 80 Days is a very solid interactive ficion game book. I ended the game having 300 pounds in cash, so the money management wasn’t that tasking, but a nice addition to the overall experience.

I think I’ll be having an another go with it, just to see how much variation there’s in the narrative as well.

What route did you take? Any memorable adventure worth telling us about?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top