• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Murder Mystery games?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2016-01-22

PM

I’m a huge fan of English murder mystery/detective shows (Lewis, Midsomer Murders, and other similar BCC series, contemporary and period) and I’m wondering if there are any games in the Adventure world that are like that?
I’ve played L.A. Noire, the Sherlock Holmes games, Broken Sword, Heavy Rain, but I was wondering if I’ve missed any PC adventure games with amazing stories that aren’t horror or overly heavy on the tongue-in-cheek humour. I imagine there are some on consoles (and I have pretty much every console), but the better stories tend to be in PC gaming, or at least that’s what I’ve found.

Any recommendations?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Black Dahlia. If you can find a copy somewhere.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Gabriel Knight!  The original or the remake!  Smile

EDIT: It’s not English though - but very good storytelling.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

- Contradiction
- Bertram Fiddle Wink because it`s definitely english Grin
- Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller. but there is some horror elements
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
- The ABC Murders (release date 4 feb 2016)
- Still Life (little bit horror too)

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Have you played The Last Express? Laura Bow? And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express? Post Mortem? Just making sure. There’s also Maupiti Island, a cult classic, which can be a little bit obtuse until you get the hang of it. Cruise for a Corpse is another older one I enjoyed, but not everyone liked it as much as I did.

Some others:
-The Dame Was Loaded
-Santa Fe Mysteries
-The Scoop
-Borrowed Time

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

The Abbey
Jack Orlando: a cinematic adventure
Hitcock: the finalcut
Daemonica

Joined 2016-01-22

PM

Wow… Didn’t expect to come back and find this many suggestions!
Just to clarify, the games don’t have to be English in theme by the way, I just happen to prefer English television murder mysteries. I have The Raven on PC and haven’t played it yet but I’ve read so many awful things about it that I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned the Tex Murphy series? Go for 3, 4, 5, and 6. Skip 1 and 2.

There are three Agatha Christie adventures. Not casual games. Evil under the Sun; And Then There Were None; Murder on the Orient Express.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

tinpanalley - 23 January 2016 07:16 AM

I have The Raven on PC and haven’t played it yet but I’ve read so many awful things about it that I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I’ve played The Raven and it was an enjoyable game, with a murder in the second part.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

You not mentioning BBC’s Jonathan Creek is somewhat disturbing. First watch that, then come back.

Also check out: Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 23 January 2016 07:21 AM

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned the Tex Murphy series? Go for 3, 4, 5, and 6. Skip 1 and 2.

Have you watched any English murder mystery/detective shows like the ones he mentioned? They’re about as far away from Tex and his dystopian alien conspiracies as you can get within a given genre.

Then again, they may be exactly what he’s after.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 23 January 2016 09:03 AM

Have you watched any English murder mystery/detective shows like the ones he mentioned? They’re about as far away from Tex and his dystopian alien conspiracies as you can get within a given genre.

Did you see this post?

Just to clarify, the games don’t have to be English in theme by the way, I just happen to prefer English television murder mysteries.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Definitely English and if you can get past one or two nonsensical puzzles then:

Mystery Of The Druids

Life is what it is.

Joined 2016-01-22

PM

Karlok - 23 January 2016 09:41 AM

Did you see this post?

Just to clarify, the games don’t have to be English in theme by the way, I just happen to prefer English television murder mysteries.

Yes, I did say that, but something all my references (with the exception of Broken Sword) have in common is a more natural or realistic setting than the post-nuclear world I imagine Tex Murphy inhabits. I just like the murder-thick enriching story-interesting characters type of detective story in a regular world environment. I’m boring.
Also, I may be incredibly ignorant but I’ve never once been able to stand live action acting in video games.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tinpanalley - 23 January 2016 09:57 AM

Also, I may be incredibly ignorant but I’ve never once been able to stand live action acting in video games.

Then you should ignore recommendations of Black Dahlia, Contradiction, the Santa Fe mysteries, The Dame Was Loaded.

Joined 2016-01-22

PM

Karlok - 23 January 2016 10:07 AM
tinpanalley - 23 January 2016 09:57 AM

Then you should ignore recommendations of Black Dahlia, Contradiction, the Santa Fe mysteries, The Dame Was Loaded.

Cool, thanks for the help.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top