• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! (The Wolf Among Us)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Challenge 2: YOU HAVE EXACTLY 8 DAYS TO FINISH The Wolf Among Us!!!

A gritty, violent and mature thriller based on the award-winning Fables comic books. As Bigby Wolf - THE big bad wolf - you will discover that a brutal, bloody murder is just a taste of things to come.

I count seven six (my mistake) posters for this challenge. That’s great! I’ve always wanted to replay it with other people. Cool Anybody else who cares to join us? TWAU is available at Steam and GOG.

To those of you who have not played it before: Don’t let yourself be scared off by the violence in the intro, like I was at first. Fables are not ordinary people. Fairy tale characters can heal their own broken bones and non-fatal wounds, sometimes it only takes a minute.

Sheriff Bigby is a non-stop smoker. It’s not in the game, so I’m going to tell you why: As a wolf he has this keen sense of smell and there are too many strong and unpleasant smells in a city like New York…  Sick

The challenge starts right now! Have fun. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Going to start playing later today!

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Apart from being familiar with the screenshots, knowing it is an episodic series with a protagonist called Bigby Wolf I knew nothing about this game or Fable comics so started playing with no preconceived ideas or expectations!

Well, I had at least 10 ‘Game Over’ screens within the 1st 10 minutes (which luckily you can try over & over) due to a QTE (aaaaaagh!) where I had to look up a YT walkthrough to realise that when ‘Q’ appears you have to tap/bash the keyboard button rather than just press it! 

By then I’d got interested in the basic premise of the story & realised (from the walkthrough footage) that the QTE’s can be a lot longer if you want to keep up but otherwise BW can get away with being badly beaten with just a couple of ‘Simon Says’ moves at the end for him to survive! & so far have found the ‘cinematics’ accompanying the QTEs quite exciting!!)

I was so grabbed by the game I have finished the 1st Episode but my perception of TWAU in my AG world was initially challenged by the lack of exploration & puzzles to be had but the story with the ‘emotionally charged dialogue’ in places, choices to be made & the superbly portrayed characters so well voice-acted have blown me away so far!

I like the fact that the game seems instantly replay-able when you realise you’ve missed things by looking at/or doing stuff in a different order ? & you can make different decisions.
As far as I’ve got I’ve made the decision that BW is going to be as good as he can based on that he is trying to undo his previous reputation

A couple of details that amused me were the portrait of Little Red Riding Hood in Bigby’s apartment & the ‘Huff & Puff’ cigarette machine!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Going to start after I finish Mission Critical, so probably tomorrow.

Can’t wait to listen again to the amazing soundtrack, best one in a Telltale game

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I’ve just finished Chapter 1! I’m liking it so far, I’ve always liked darker plots. My favorite characters so far are Toad and Bufkin. I really loved searching Toad’s apartment for clues and trying to catch him in his lies. And I loved the fight with the fables turning into their actual shapes. I am curious, they keep mentioning Mundy and I have no idea what/who that’s supposed to be.

chrissie - 17 January 2016 10:01 AM

As far as I’ve got I’ve made the decision that BW is going to be as good as he can based on that he is trying to undo his previous reputation

the portrait of Little Red Riding Hood in Bigby’s apartment

I am doing the same thing, but then I’ve never been able to play a bad guy very well. Tongue And I must have missed Red’s portrait! Unfortunately with this type of gameplay, I tend to miss a lot of things and it always bothers me, I like to look at everything and do all dialogue. I missed looking at the Blackbeard file and looking around Woody’s apartment because I chose to do something else first. And this type of dialogue where it’s timed always gets my heart rate up. I like time to agonize over what I’m going to say and what it might come across as, and in this I’ve accidently picked one that didn’t go where I wanted it to.

So what did everybody pick? I lied to Beast, though I wasn’t happy doing it. I went to Toad’s first because he sounded in more immediate danger and I like him.Apparently I might have been able to save Lawrence, but then maybe Toad would have died? And the last decision I made was to take Woody and not Dee/Dumb.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Fantasysci5 - 17 January 2016 04:17 PM

I am curious, they keep mentioning Mundy and I have no idea what/who that’s supposed to be.

Mundys (or mundanes) are normal non-fable humans.

I’m going for the big bad wolf now, the other time I played the goody

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

wilco - 17 January 2016 04:24 PM
Fantasysci5 - 17 January 2016 04:17 PM

I am curious, they keep mentioning Mundy and I have no idea what/who that’s supposed to be.

Mundys (or mundanes) are normal non-fable humans.

Yup think of them as Fables version of Muggles.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I said it already when looking at the screenshots on internet, and I’ll repeat it now after playing it for a couple of minutes: The graphics are THE BEST, absolutely the best comics-like graphics of all time in video games (ever since The Case of the Cautious Condor imho).

Also, the first scene with entering the apartment via leg kick and confronting the bearded guy remind me of the start of Full Throttle. As for the “neverending” fight, it reminded me of this. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

iv been putting off playing this forever so…. im in!

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Finished Chapter 2. It seemed shorter than the first chapter. I really love the colors during the credits at the beginning, so artistic. Every time I’m in the office, I rub that lamp just to see if it ever changes. Tongue And I read the new tarot cards. I kind of have a crush on Bigby. Smile I went the nice guy route all around this chapter, and didn’t think a lot of the choices were that hard to chose between, like Not hitting Beast again, not hitting Georgie, treating Woody nice while interrogating him, sympathizing with Crane. I’ll be disappointed if it ends up that it is Crane, it seemed like the obvious choice.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Fantasysci5 - 18 January 2016 01:56 AM

Finished Chapter 2.

Wow, you’re going fast! I’m only halfway the first episode.

Every time I’m in the office, I rub that lamp just to see if it ever changes. Tongue

No genie…

And I read the new tarot cards.

Did you try the card Bigby picks up on the mirror? Mrs. Meryl Smith wouldn’t like its response. Grin

I kind of have a crush on Bigby. Smile

Of course you do. It’s the voice and the walk. Heart Eyes  He’s the strong, muscular archetype that appeals to all heterosexual women. Some women deny it, but I find it hard to believe them.

I went the nice guy route all around this chapter, and didn’t think a lot of the choices were that hard to chose between, like Not hitting Beast again, not hitting Georgie, treating Woody nice while interrogating him, sympathizing with Crane. I’ll be disappointed if it ends up that it is Crane, it seemed like the obvious choice.

Don’t worry, you have three more chapters with new developments to go.

The first time I was nice most of the time. The second time I tried to be all bad, but somehow that takes the life out of the game for me, just like Tex on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams is very hard to do. Some bad, some good feels more natural.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Snow’s dead? Fuck that. That shouldn’t have happened. Frown That’s just toying too much with my feelings, she was the most interesting character, and I was looking forward to see the development of Bigby’s relationship with her.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Episode 1 impressions:

My biggest impression is stated in my previous post, but here’s the rest of it. I don’t play much of choice&consequence; games, and I don’t know the first thing about this world and the comic, for the starters. The game is a true spiritual successor to those CYOA books I adored as a kid, and the choices are very well done, really get you involved in the plot, and couple of times make your mind shake. (But OF COURSE I went with apprehending Woodsman!!! I never got to learn what was the reason behind that struggle between him and the girl, and then the girl turns dead! I don’t care about some fat detective hiding in the closet! Well, only 33% players seem to agree with me Frown )

Now, I know the gameplay is kept at minimal at these kind of games, but after I turned off the selectables I got the kick out of it at least in the exploring department, but somehow I missed a point where you can explore at least 2-3 different areas you choose, not constantly only one. The same could be said for the puzzles - I wished for at least one inventory puzzle. A perfect example is in the Ichabod’s office (flying monkey is a great character! Well, still doesn’t beat Colin) - you inspect the fables chart, and then you notice the king’s emblem, and Bigby says: “I’ve seen this before!”. This would be a great moment for a player to use the ring on the chart! Instead, the game makes the connection for you, and you only need to find the emblem in the symbols book!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 18 January 2016 06:11 AM

I kind of have a crush on Bigby. Smile

Of course you do. It’s the voice and the walk. Heart Eyes  He’s the strong, muscular archetype that appeals to all heterosexual women. Some women deny it, but I find it hard to believe them.

Bigby, stop showing off!

diego - 18 January 2016 08:20 AM

Now, I know the gameplay is kept at minimal at these kind of games, but after I turned off the selectables I got the kick out of it at least in the exploring department, but somehow I missed a point where you can explore at least 2-3 different areas you choose, not constantly only one. The same could be said for the puzzles - I wished for at least one inventory puzzle. A perfect example is in the Ichabod’s office (flying monkey is a great character! Well, still doesn’t beat Colin) - you inspect the fables chart, and then you notice the king’s emblem, and Bigby says: “I’ve seen this before!”. This would be a great moment for a player to use the ring on the chart! Instead, the game makes the connection for you, and you only need to find the emblem in the symbols book!

That is true, they could have thrown in a little more investigation gameplay but the game does keep you guessing until the end on what is going on, I had hard in most of the choices.

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Yeah, The Beast is too muscle-y for me. Tongue

wilco - 18 January 2016 12:51 PM

Bigby, stop showing off!

Wha…why is that even a thing? Why would that possibly be in the game?! I can’t wait to find out! XD

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 18 January 2016 12:51 PM

Bigby, stop showing off!

LOL! You got busy, wilco. Smile But you got it wrong, all Bigby has to do is walk the way he walks.

Fantasysci5 - 18 January 2016 01:15 PM

Yeah, The Beast is too muscle-y for me. Tongue

I find it hard to believe you. Tongue Men have a female archetype too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top