• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge!  (Gabriel Knight 2)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Chapter 5 summary:

Best puzzle: Gabriel “Burglar” Knight
Funniest scene: Gabriel “Sissy” Knight
Best character: Henneman
Worst character: Stephen “Sissy 2” Klingmann. So, just because Gabe has the wolf tags he decides to be a complete snitch?!
Best quote: “Look at me, I like to eat and I like to drink. I own a butchery and a brewery, which means I like people who like to eat and drink. And if I could make it the national religion, I would.”
Best scene: Von Zell wearing “lipstick”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Alrighty! A good excuse to play this game and get it out of my backlog! It’ll be my first time playing it, and I have no plans for the next few days so I am more than up for the challenge. Naughty

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I see wolf challenges continues. I’m in. Time to revisit the game for another path

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Chapter 6 was a great “culmination” of everything that the game represented until then - it had “quiet” research with Grace, and then the action with Gabriel. It was pretty intense, almost as Chapter 5, and the puzzles were very good, even though many players might feel angry at the fact that there’s one point in the chapter which is sort of a “dead-end”. Final puzzle is simply excellent, and not that hard once you get the idea. If I had to rank the chapters, though, it would still be 4-3-6-1-2-5.

What I missed the most in this chapter was the lack of the “crystals” and chandeliers research and manual setup. I actually replayed parts of previous chapters to see if I missed anything about those diagrams (once I’ve seen it’s in the To-Do list), but was disappointed to learn there’s nothing you’re supposed to do (actually, the biggest “puzzle” is pixel-hunting the chandelier workers). But a nice touch was to notice the X in the diagram, and THEN, and only then, click on the proper seat in the chart.

Chapter 6 summary:

Best puzzles: “The dressing room” and the “basement” puzzle
Funniest scene: Gabriel “Englehart” Knight
Best character: Von Glower
Worst character: Leber. Not only that he holds the gun pointed at the ground when confronting wolves, he’s also being an idiot Grin. What was the reason to call him at all? And a thought: Why not just killing von Glower instead of the whole “show”?
Best quote: “I have to tell you something. I screwed up.”
Best scene: The Opera

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

diego - 19 January 2016 10:03 AM

Why not just killing von Glower instead of the whole “show”?

I could be completely off, but I thought it was to draw Von Glower out. I feel he would know Gabriel would try something, revenge or redemption, so it had to look like he had nothing to do with it. Also, the play allowed Ludwig to be a part of taking Von Glower down so his soul could be redeemed. If memory serves, they had to be directly involved with bringing him down to lift the curse?

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

After finishing the game, I have to admit I was sorta skeptical before starting it, and feared that it might not live to a great time I had when playing it 15+ years ago. I was wrong. Very, very wrong. I can’t think of a game that aged better (and that’s also thanks to 2 patches (subtitles and no-interlace patch).

There’re several reasons that this is the best (with only few other candidates for the title) adventure of all time - first of all, we all know about Jane Jensen’s writing quality, and I won’t discuss it any further. But the design of the game, also, is so “viciously” made that you’re constantly on the edge of your seat, never bored, with a perfect balance between freedom and “hand-holding”. The story gradually sucks you in, and puzzles are (well, apart from the 4th Chapter where you more of a “curator” than player Grin ) hitting just the right difficulty/logical note, with a certain level of intuition, still needed in order to progress. Another reason is that GK2 is a successful mix of many genres, being mystery first, but also horror, historical biography, romance…

I was tempted to give it 4.5 stars for some of the triggers and illogical details, but life is too short to wait for something better. 5 stars.

Fantasysci5 - 19 January 2016 06:06 PM
diego - 19 January 2016 10:03 AM

Why not just killing von Glower instead of the whole “show”?

I could be completely off, but I thought it was to draw Von Glower out. I feel he would know Gabriel would try something, revenge or redemption, so it had to look like he had nothing to do with it. Also, the play allowed Ludwig to be a part of taking Von Glower down so his soul could be redeemed. If memory serves, they had to be directly involved with bringing him down to lift the curse?

Yeah, I know, it all sounds logical, but the game skipped too easily over those two months, and just presumed both Leber and Von Glower will show up at the opera. But that’s a minor nitpick. Tongue

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Fully agree with your retrorespect view of the game. The game has aged incredibly well, despite the outdated fmv technology used.

I was very happy to find Gabriel Knight 2 on 3rd placement of the Adventuregamers top100.

On my personal list, which changes from time to time, it also holds the number 1 spot, shared with Broken Sword 1 and The Longest Journey. So, yes, being fair, I think it’s then three number 3 positions…..isn’t how it’s supposed to work with sharing spots on a numbered list? Laughing

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 21 January 2016 10:40 AM

I can’t think of a game that aged better

Not a single one? I think you may be exaggerating Smile

AS for the game I do agree it’s excellent but mostly because of the impeccable pacing, story and characters but I do think the puzzles were a bit average and got too much in the way of the story. Nevertheless it’s a real classic and perfectly playable now.

Just a thought, Jane Jansen should do a game with DontNod (or Telltale)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 21 January 2016 01:11 PM
diego - 21 January 2016 10:40 AM

I can’t think of a game that aged better

Not a single one? I think you may be exaggerating Smile

No, seriously, I can’t think of a 1995 (and older) game that aged more gracefully (pun not intended) than GK2:

Monkey Island 1/2, for example, are fantastic games even now, but remaking it wasn’t just a cash grab - many newcomers would be put off by a verb interface. The same could be said for Day of the Tentacle.

And let’s just look at the GK trilogy - the first game was in a need of a facelift because of the low-res of the original, and the third game looks like a Dire Straits’ Money for Nothing video with that early 3D models. Remaking GK2? Only if the original videos are available in higher-resolution, but no-interlace patch partly resolves that and after few minutes you get used to the FMV. The only other thing I can think of to give characters freedom to walk inside the location, but that also stopped to bother me after the first few locations.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 21 January 2016 01:21 PM

No, seriously, I can’t think of a 1995 (and older) game that aged more gracefully (pun not intended) than GK2:

Monkey Island 1/2, for example, are fantastic games even now, but remaking it wasn’t just a cash grab - many newcomers would be put off by a verb interface. The same could be said for Day of the Tentacle.

And let’s just look at the GK trilogy - the first game was in a need of a facelift because of the low-res of the original, and the third game looks like a Dire Straits’ Money for Nothing video with that early 3D models. Remaking GK2? Only if the original videos are available in higher-resolution, but no-interlace patch partly resolves that and after few minutes you get used to the FMV. The only other thing I can think of to give characters freedom to walk inside the location, but that also stopped to bother me after the first few locations.

Full Throttle?

GK2 definitely seems to have aged better than GK3 but comparing it to GK1 and MI1 and 2 I’m not so sure. The video is kind of low quality (and the mostly bad acting doesn’t help) and the interface is not that simplified. The sound is also a bit rough (or maybe I was getting bugs) with multiple cuts and voices too low.
Under a Killing Moon in some aspects has aged better, except for the rough 3D navegating.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top