• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge!  (Gabriel Knight 2)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 09 January 2016 11:35 AM

I thought Gabriel said this place was stripped. I guess Gerde has been busy shopping with the new Ritter fortune.

Missed that one. Grin Also, I translated the newspapers from German to English

it’s something along the lines:

The last, and so far the cruelest incident left the population in fear and terror, and the authorities seem powerless to stop it. In the morning around 1AM the killer wolves have claimed their sixth victim, and this time in the middle of a downtown, at Dienerstrase street, not far from the Marienplatz Square and the City Hall. The body was discovered at around 1:15 in… in the small yard, while the body was still covered with blood.

It’s the sixth victim! By now, it should be a news in New Orleans. Tongue Actually, I’m surprised Gabriel isn’t interested in talking about these killings with the members of the club, to see their reaction, especially with von Glower. The whole third chapter is nicely structured around learning more about the club to which the random order of things had brought you (and at this point - without much need to suspect them of anything), so it would be a natural thing to ask. But he IS asking about the “black wolf”. Ah, Gabe is such a troll:

Also, Dean is showing a signs of much more “involved” and “stronger” acting in this chapter (especially in conversation with von Glower), as Gabriel seems less “detached” like in the first chapter (but you can’t blame the guy who went through THIS recently). Also, I was “right” about the need to regroup his thoughts about Grace, he’s very comfortable at only exchanging letters at this stage:

(or to protect her from wolves? Smile )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

It’s so fun reading everyone’s reactions, like their favorite puzzles and characters. Keep it up guys, you can do it! <3

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wow, this thread is moving like a freight train. Very similar to a CPT. I’ll add the link in the Recommendations thread. Will this be getting a new thread with every game, or is the idea that the next game just continues this thread?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Slightly offtopic, but who says they don’t write letters in 1996! Grin:

this fan have just posted this letter on the Sierra fan page, so I thought it’s convenient to post it after the phone-letter debate. Grin

TimovieMan - 09 January 2016 02:32 PM

Will this be getting a new thread with every game, or is the idea that the next game just continues this thread?

I haven’t really decided. At first I thought of one thread, but I don’t know, perhaps its more convenient in separate threads? I’ll let Zobraks decide. No, wait, he’ll put it on a vote. Grin I’ll let whoever sets the next task to do at will.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Still going around in Chapter 3
Why does the lawyer always picks up the phone when Gabriel leaves? Mmm, something fishy is going on in here…
The conversation at the Von Glower house… Sexual tension is through the roof, Gabriel was surely getting uncomfortable in there.
And why did the game lets me buy a cucoo clock and not some sausages? Frown I’m hungry

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’d loved to have taken part in the challenge (as I love the game) but have recently, due to commitments, found it too difficult to even participate in the slower paced AG & CG playthroughs despite good intentions having both recent current games up & ready to go! But I’m enjoying the thread - thanks diego!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Does anyone know the best way to take in-game screenshots? (playing the gog version) Fraps or even Print Screen don’t work

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 09 January 2016 05:01 PM

Does anyone know the best way to take in-game screenshots? (playing the gog version) Fraps or even Print Screen don’t work

I’m yet to find a game where Gadwin PrintScreen doesn’t work. Perhaps it won’t work in GK2, but you can always Alt-Enter it (because it’s DOSBox), and then take a regular print screen, then crop the image.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, this is the bestest game in history! I just had the greatest “AHA!” moment! Grin (yeah, I know I already played the game, but bear with me!)

On numerous occasions in various threads, I always babbled how I want games to convince you that you’re truly “challenged” (pun not intended!) at some point (not the mini-games), or so to speak - that you need to do more “thinking” instead of random exploring (hoping it’s not the unrelated trigger that advances the progress). In other words, I want a situation where you can just stop and think and come to solution, even if you’re NOT playing the game! Today, I was sort of stuck at the crime scene (of course, I didn’t know if I’m stuck exactly at that screen or is it something that I need to do elsewhere, or a nasty trigger). I tried various things (couldn’t get Leber to talk to me), then I exited the game, did some unrelated work outside, and then while taking a walk, started to think about the solution. I said to myself - OK, let’s pretend that it’s not a trigger, let’s think only about the crime scene. (Honestly, I had no recollection of that scene at all! I told you I played it almost 20 years ago, and at that time a friend was also helping me). Leber doesn’t want to speak to me… I tried the backdoor in a club, so to enter the crime-scene from the other side… it didn’t work. I tried the tape recorder on him, as to pretend that I’m a journalist, it also didn’t work. I also knew it had something to do with the TV reporters, but I didn’t know what. I knew I had to get his attention… but how? Then I started to think about the inventory items - and you know the game hits the right note when you can think of every one inventory item even while not playing the game! Then it hit me - I’m at the crime scene, the killings are referred as the wolf killings… what do I have to say on the matter?! I just knew it had to be the analysis from the lab (somehow, I completely ignored that piece of paper while in-game) even before I got home. I’m not denying that the solution was somewhere deep buried into my subconsciousness, but it still felt great. Tongue (of course, someone else might have solved it right away). The additional quality of this puzzle is that if you try it with Leber first (like I did), the game hints you that you’re on the right track with a cutscene. 

wilco - 09 January 2016 03:46 PM

Still going around in Chapter 3
Why does the lawyer always picks up the phone when Gabriel leaves? Mmm, something fishy is going on in here…

And why is the secretary always smiling?! Smile

wilco - 09 January 2016 03:46 PM

And why did the game lets me buy a cucoo clock and not some sausages? Frown I’m hungry

Yeah, listening to “Oh when the saints go marching in” at the square over and over and not being able to buy sausages have to be two of the game’s biggest frustrations! Frown

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished Chapter 3

- Slow chapter, nothing very important happens or is discovered, it’s mostly talk, talk, talk. I guess it was a necessity to get to know the club memebers at this point.
- Why is Von Zell ALWAYS shouting,,, Come on, man, keep your voice down.
- Example of good puzzle is the one Diego talks about in the post above for that reason. It makes sense.
- On the other hand it has the worst puzzle in the game so far: cuckoo clock puzzle in the plant. Here comes the adventure game logic…  Shifty Eyed
- Funniest moment: Dialogue with Von Zell
- Ever heard of the Black Wolf?
cue in mysterious horn and Von Zell giving a comprimising look
-No.
Riiiiiiiiiight

diego - 09 January 2016 05:07 PM

I’m yet to find a game where Gadwin PrintScreen doesn’t work. Perhaps it won’t work in GK2, but you can always Alt-Enter it (because it’s DOSBox), and then take a regular print screen, then crop the image.

Using Alt-Enter and PrintScreen, not ideal but works well enough. Thx

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m stuck again in Chapter 3. I talked to Leber in his office, exhausted all dialogue topics, talked to Ubergrau again… but the game still tells me I have things to do at Police Station, Marienplatz and Huber’s farm! I hoped I did everything prior to Hunter’s club meeting in the evening, but the club is still empty. Now I really fear it might be some nasty trigger. Tongue

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 10 January 2016 06:55 AM

I’m stuck again in Chapter 3. I talked to Leber in his office, exhausted all dialogue topics, talked to Ubergrau again… but the game still tells me I have things to do at Police Station, Marienplatz and Huber’s farm! I hoped I did everything prior to Hunter’s club meeting in the evening, but the club is still empty. Now I really fear it might be some nasty trigger. Tongue

Hint: Have you looked at the map at the police station?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 10 January 2016 05:50 AM
diego - 09 January 2016 05:07 PM

Using Alt-Enter and PrintScreen, not ideal but works well enough. Thx

Or you could have a look at the DOSBox manual and see that CTRL-F5 takes screenshots. Tongue

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 10 January 2016 07:29 AM
diego - 10 January 2016 06:55 AM

Hint: Have you looked at the map at the police station?

Yeap! I did that also. Frown

BTW, the press is lying - it’s the fifth victim, not the sixth. (or my Google Translate betrayed me)

Also, Leber’s facial expressions are priceless (I know Karlok doesn’t like him Tongue ) - the way he watches you as you walk toward the map:

and Facial Expression of the Chapter contender:

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Diego, did you write something interesting on the map in your notebook?

Finished chapter 3. I still love Von Zell and Von Glower, but the bad acting is starting to annoy me. Especially Gabe, who really looks like an idiot with those gestures, twitches, grimaces and wimpy expressions. Strange, cause he never annoyed me before. But Dean Erickson’s role changes in the next chapters and in my memory his acting in 5 and 6 is much better.

I just watched the intro to chapter 4. Gotto love Gracie stumbling around in that stupid dress. Long hair too. And one of my favorite NPCs: King Ludwig, who never speaks a word. I never get tired of the intros and of course the great music.

Joanne Takahashi’s acting on the other hand has always annoyed me.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top