• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge!  (Gabriel Knight 2)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 08 January 2016 10:37 AM

Thomas was also a good one

Yeah, but he had that “you’re suspicious” facial expressions after you turned your back to him. WHY IS EVERYBODY SUSPICIOUS?!! The wolves are seemingly mutilating people all over the Munich, OF COURSE I would be asking questions about wolves! And how come Grace doesn’t have an idea what Gabe is working on, the killings are front page news!

Oh, yeah, she’s in a castle, writing letters on a typewriter. No phone, no TV. Smile And I do love the atmosphere, the historical aspect and reading just in right measure in Chapter 2. Some games overdo it with letters, diaries, books… but this one does it in the right dosage. And they read it for you! How nice! I can lie down on the couch and listen to their reading. It’s a pity they read only one page at a time.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

What a coincidence, I started my first replay of GK2 5 days ago.I will not take this challenge, because I want this replay to last longer because GK2 is one of my favourite adventure games and it would be a shame to rush it.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

diego - 08 January 2016 08:54 AM

Best puzzle: Splice tape puzzle (Karlok Kiss)

Definitely agree with this. I always liked this puzzle, even if it is a tad unrealistic.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 08 January 2016 12:45 PM

And how come Grace doesn’t have an idea what Gabe is working on, the killings are front page news!

I doubt the killing of a German girl and two wolves escaping from a German zoo would be front page news in New Orleans. Tongue

Oh, yeah, she’s in a castle, writing letters on a typewriter. No phone, no TV. Smile

The killing wolves wouldn’t be on American tv either. And Gabe is not in Rittersberg, how would she be able to phone him in Munich? No cell phones in the mid-eighties. Besides, she keeps sending him books and other useful stuff. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m not sure I understand why Jane Jensen couldn’t have them exchange phone numbers. The chronological aberrations that all the letter-writing creates are ridiculous. (Well, actually I do understand the reason for it: not being able to talk directly and hash things out allows for all sorts of misunderstandings and artificial tension. Jensen has done some good things in her career, but she can be a complete hack at times.)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 08 January 2016 03:28 PM
diego - 08 January 2016 12:45 PM

And how come Grace doesn’t have an idea what Gabe is working on, the killings are front page news!

I doubt the killing of a German girl and two wolves escaping from a German zoo would be front page news in New Orleans. Tongue

Not at this point. Pan Content At the start of the game, aren’t they referred as the “Wolf killings?”. I gather Huber’s daughter isn’t the first victim. I might be wrong. Not that the serial killings would make a news in New Orleans either, but she ought to hear something once she arrived in Rittersberg. OK, I spent only a day there, and I guess the castle doesn’t have its newspaper daily delivery like Huber’s farm does.

And Gabe is not in Rittersberg, how would she be able to phone him in Munich? No cell phones in the mid-nineties. Besides, she keeps sending him books and other useful stuff.

That part is fine (I will talk of it in the next paragraph). But Grace seemed highly determined to find out what is the new case about - that’s pretty much expected. And then she suddenly seemed satisfied when Werner tells her that it’s about - werewolves! But this is also a great character study - I guess Grace wasn’t much interested into details of the case, as for a general “guideline” so she would be able to do her research instead of Gerde.

Kurufinwe - 08 January 2016 04:32 PM

I’m not sure I understand why Jane Jensen couldn’t have them exchange phone numbers.

I criticize it, but it doesn’t bother me, and I can understand the reason behind it. We don’t know if Gabe explicitly chose to write from time to time instead of a potentially daily telephone contacts. Actually, we do know - right at the start if you combine bookstore’s phone number with a phone, Gabe says something like: I don’t need to call Grace. But he does write a letter. That’s something all guys can relate to. OR girls. Smile Writing SMS with a very dear friend or person, instead of talking is a modern equivalent. Or Gabe wanted physical and emotional rest after the first game, to regroup his thoughts. Finally, Gabriel Knight 2, or ANY GK game for that matter, is unrealistic on many levels but still captivating AND assuring. The tape recording puzzle is unrealistic (I don’t think it’s unrealistic, and I will talk about it later) but many still find it logical and interesting. There’s a bit when the killing happens in front of the Hunter’s club, but Gabe and receptionist don’t share a word about it, which seems a bit odd, but you’re soon caught in the mystery of the club and forget it.. And writing letters instead of phone calls might seem odd, but it also adds to the “dark romantic” atmosphere of the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

One of the funnier parts about the game is how the town hall is just a window that you go up to.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

What a glorious game. I can’t stop playing it. I’m stuck in Chapter 3, though. (Is the key to a locked door inside the Hunter’s club somewhere within a reach at this point of the game? I’m alone in the club.) Actually, now I think that GK2 is a perfect game to be played in a short-amount of time, because this is the closest thing that came to a movie (and still has a challenge to speak of). Sorry Tim and Manny, you’re making a mistake Kiss

br305893 - 08 January 2016 11:58 PM

One of the funnier parts about the game is how the town hall is just a window that you go up to.

It could have been worse:

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Progress report:

- Chapter 2 complete
- Saw the library scene Confused , didn’t know the game was also about possession and exorcisms
- Easy chapter but it was good the story unfolded as we followed the research by Grace: read here, question there, etc.
- The telephone dilemma isn’t really a problem so far since nobody knows where Gabriel is so far and Grace needs to mail those books
- Didn’t expect Duane and Pearl to show up at the end!
- Can’t wait for the next episode of the Gracie and Gerdie Show. I’m sure they’ll be besties when this is all over

br305893 - 08 January 2016 11:58 PM

So true! Also the post office. At least the bar is pretty big, Rittersburg seems to have the priorities figured out

diego - 08 January 2016 08:54 AM

I laughed hard at “Good-old Fujitsu will be replaced by Hildegard”. Ah, Gracie is such a bi…! Smile

Best line of the chapter!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Gee, I’m still in chapter one, you guys are way ahead of me. There goes my chance at a Plundered Hearts challenge…  Cry

Recognized something I hadn’t noticed in my previous playthroughs. Nick Bantock’s first book of his Sabine and Griffin trilogy. Smile The cover shows the very first interactive postcard from Ceremony of Innocence, the game based on the trilogy. I only recognized the book because I’ve played the game. 

Gabe says: Lots of Nietsche and Kant. I don’t understand that stuff even when it’s in English. Silly Gabe! I don’t see lots of N and K.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 09 January 2016 08:18 AM

Gee, I’m still in chapter one, you guys are way ahead of me. There goes my chance at a Plundered Hearts challenge…  Cry

I’m stuck in Chapter 3! There’s your chance!

The cover shows the very first interactive postcard from Ceremony of Innocence

That’s interesting! The game was released one year after GK2. BTW, I just learned that GK2 was released on 31 December, 1995!! Practically, a 1996 game. (NO, DON’T mention it in the 1996 Adventure Game of the Year thread!). So that’s why I had a sudden urge to play it around New Year!

Gabe says: Lots of Nietsche and Kant. I don’t understand that stuff even when it’s in English. Silly Gabe! I don’t see lots of N and K.

That was a runner-up in my Chapter 1 best quote.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 09 January 2016 08:03 AM

- Didn’t expect Duane and Pearl to show up at the end!

Grin Thumbs Up

Chapter 2 summary:

Best puzzle: Research in the library
Worst puzzle: Finding the post office calling button Smile
Best character: Werner Huber
Worst character: Meryl Smith
Best quote: “Good-old Fujitsu will be replaced by Hildegard.”
Best scene: Grace looking through the dungeon window. It’s just as we’re looking it through the eyes of the past prisoner, almost reminded me of an Iron Maiden song:
“When the priest comes to read me the last rites
I take a look through the bars at the last sights
Of a world that has gone very wrong for me”

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Just finished Chapter 2. I’ll do a summary like Diego did.

Chapter 2 summary:
Best puzzle: Research in the library
Worst Puzzle: Trying to get an address for the envelope. (Which turned out to be much easier than expected)
Best Character: Rathaus Clerk
Worst Character: Mrs. Smith
Best Quote: N/A
Best Scene: Calling Grace’s history professor in the middle of the night.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Aaahhh, figured it finally how to get keys in Chapter 3! I solved it only because I remember the clock had something to do with the room, I think it’s a very hard puzzle. Especially because I totally forgot it’s a woodpecker clock and that it produces a knocking, rather than a cuckoo’s call sound..

Also, what’s with Von Zell’s attitude? Geez, I just entered a room, not slept with your wife!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, I managed to finish both the first and second chapter. Smile
Looking forward to 4, 5, and 6, which are in my humble opinion better than the first three, although chapter 3 has a memorable ending.

diego - 09 January 2016 08:51 AM

Best quote: “Good-old Fujitsu will be replaced by Hildegard.”

Yeah, Gracie is bitchie. I liked this one too: I thought Gabriel said this place was stripped. I guess Gerde has been busy shopping with the new Ritter fortune.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top