• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full Throttle remastered announced

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Okay…bit weird.

I just find it weird how you’re on here and never seem to enjoy adventure games. That’s hardly harassment or an attack.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Remakes , remasters, emulated games like ps2 on ps4 will make PS4 one single platform for all current and old classic hub.
Sony made all 3 remakes possible, Tim gonna get his share in $, Sony players who never played it will get to experience it on comfy couch on Big screen, it helps AG genre,
interest for sequel can be guaged with sales. There are plenty of benefits.

Rare replay to recent total remakes, all classics have imperfections that can be polished to be better experience.

Its easy to say my rig plays Dreamfall chapters fine, so it doesnt need unity5,
i say scrap ugly unity , make it on UE4 to make it look even better.
Or how about i just keep Streetfighter in arcades.
So scumm and vanilla game is good enough is moot.

U2 was more perfect than Lucas games technically, still if more people can now play them on ps4 , all the better.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Oscar - 06 December 2015 11:01 PM

Exactly right Matan. It might be different if these remakes were done by the same people as the original, but they aren’t. Imagine if War and Peace was re-written or Rembrandt’s Night Watch was repainted to make it look ‘better’. For some reason games are seen to be different, or not art at all, so that they are subject to infinite ‘improvement’ as technology is updated.

What do you mean by this? These are Tim Schafer’s games. Double Fine is composed of several ex-LucasArts employees. The remakes are being made with the involvement from Peter Chan, Peter McConnell and other important contributors to the original.

I see this more comparable to Ridley Scott re-releasing Blade Runner onto Blu Ray with cleaner picture and sound rather than a complete rewrite…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I can see where Oscar is coming from, but if I have to choose between:

+ LucasArts remakes

and

I’m choosing the world with LucasArts remakes (for the sake of adventure popularity, exposing classic games to bigger audience etc.). I personally, won’t be playing the remakes for the reason I stated here and here - the graphics are simply inferior to the original in 99% cases. Certainly, I’ll play Full Throttle if it looks like this.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I can’t see how anyone can say they’re inferior personally. Given the choice, I’d take the remakes. They seem to have a far better UI too.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just don’t see how it is harmful to have remakes of beloved AG games. If it was a case where it was preventing DF from building newer games because they are busy with these remakes, than there might be an argument there. But from what I’ve seen, these remakes are providing DF with a steady source of income that they can use to keep their employees employed, and to potentially fund some new games like Psychonauts 2. Also, all these 2D remakes have the original game in there via a press of a button, so you can play the game all pixelated if you want to with the SCUMM verbs, or with HD wide screen graphics and a simpler control scheme. It’s a win-win for everyone no matter how I look at it.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It could potentially trigger more games in this genre too, so it’s a win win really.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i’ll keep an eye on this even though i didnt like the original very much. Hopefully they can at least make some improvements with the motorcycle sequences.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For me, these remastered games are quite fun, they are normally inexpensive and on ios or PSN for portable play. Sometimes they do clear up some play issues. I do keep the originals even when I buy the remastered ones. 

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

For me, it’s not that I think there’s any harm in them. It’s just that they don’t excite me that much, even though I’m a huge fan of the originals (bought Day of the Tentacle the day it was released, and I still remember going to the video game store every day for months before asking them if it’s already out).

It’s just that the re-make is so similar to the original, and the original is so easily playable today. If they re-made them to be something different (e.g., to give an extreme example, re-made Day of the Tentacle as a Telltale style choice-filled interactive movie, or re-made the original Maniac Mansion to have cartoon-style animation and more friendly gameplay and puzzles in the spirit of Day of the Tentacle), I may or may not have eventually liked the result, but I would have been incredibly excited and couldn’t wait to try the game.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

About time.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Ohhh, that’s pretty.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

That’s not official art though. It was done by a fan a good time before they even started working on DoTT or GF remasters.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

That’s fan art by luisimage. Unfortunately, he started with a screenshot of the original that did not have aspect ratio correction applied so everything is vertically squished. He obviously noticed that Ben looked weirdly squat and made him taller, but it’s actually the overall image that is incorrect and should look like this. Still, it’s nicely done fan art overall and it’d be neat if Double Fine similarly adds detail to the in-game characters’ faces to match the cinematics.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’ll probably look similar going by TdotT remaster.

Edit: It’s strange mind. I’ve played Full throttle and DotT and, although I like most of them, I do have some issues with them. DotT for example, has some really iffy puzzles and players can hit a deadend without knowing at times. If they were to change some things in these remasters, I’d be okay with it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top