• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Comments section on recent reviews?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

It does appear for me, neither the ability to comment!
That is only with recent reviews, Such Black Sails and Eyes beyond ...etc!

thanks

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I should actually apply to all articles, new or old, though existing comments should still be visible.

Article comments will be disabled from now on, probably permanently. We found it was more trouble than it was worth for something that was ultimately redundant. If people want to discuss a game (or an article), the forums are available for that. And there are user reviews for people who simply want to share their opinion on a game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

So the sole reason why we got stuck with the sucky forums has been jettisoned; does it mean there’s a chance we might get proper forums now? Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well Jack, you gotta what you gotta do, but at least you guys could have informed us, you dont need to feel like the man in high castle or anything around here? Cry

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Not sure why you would equate the two, Kurufinwe. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

EDIT: In any case, there’s nothing at all imminent on the forum software front, no.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Jackal - 12 October 2015 06:18 PM

Not sure why you would equate the two, Kurufinwe. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Because back when the last site refresh happened, the reason Marek gave for using the Expression Engine (and its sucky forum platform) was that the site would use the same accounts for the main site and the forums, which made it possible to have users post comments on the main site.

With that feature gone, is there any technical reason why the forums couldn’t use a completely different platform (phpbb or whatever)?

Anyway, false hope. Oh well… Meh

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Would love to move to something like IP.Board. Right now the issues are time and money. Any forum software would still have to be integrated into Expression Engine, and we’d have to port all posts over as well, which is complicated.

We’re expecting to work with a new advertising partner on the site soon. Maybe once that’s in place we could hire an expert to help us upgrade the forums, but no promises.

Retired AG founder

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Is the Kickstarter idea off the table? I’d pay for non-sucky forums.

(Or a Patreon. Why doesn’t this site have a Patreon?? If Touch Arcade can get $8000 a month that way, surely AG.com should be able to get something.)

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-06-09

PM

Ah-HA!
I finally decided to check here. Thanks Jackal for the explanation. For about a month I thought my browser was screwing up or something.

I dunno. I kinda miss leaving a quick comment on a review. Yes, I could do that on the forums, but most days, I just check the reviews, and it takes extra time to go to the forums and find the thread to post in. Not like that would kill me, but I generally don’t have much time until evenings, and by then, I’m thinking about other things.

Again, not a big deal, but I will miss this feature.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yeah, sorry Giles. All things being equal, we’d have been glad to leave it intact. But it was just getting to be too much annoyance for too little benefit.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah, theres still a blank pane where the comment section would be in new articles, so i assumed technical issue as well. But cant disagree with the decision if you really have to screen every comment. Thats no fun.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top