• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #13 - Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We’re starting the playthrough of Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen.

For those that don’t have the game yet, it is available from BigFish Games. A very trustworthy site.

When you have the game loaded, watch the introductory cut scenes and report back that you’re ready to go.

Your start point will be here

In looking at the game, I think there are about eight chapters. I’m thinking that each chapter should take about an hour. And I know from past experience that nobody can play every day. (I know I can’t.) So I am alloting two days for each hour of game play. As always, we’ll adjust as necessary. So figure that we will be looking at approximately sixteen days for the playthrough.

Lost Lands is a portal game. For those of you who have played games such as those in the House of 1000 Doors series, you know what those are. If not, you will be finding tokens in your journety that will allow you to visit other locations. You will understand how this works once you find your first token.

You will not be confined to one location at a time. Often you will find inventory items that can only be used in another location.

BIG HINT: Familiarize yourself with the Map feature! It is probably unlike any other interactive map. It consists of layers. In the first chapter we will only be dealing
with one layer. By the end of the game we will be dealing with as many as four layers.

Final note: We will all be playing the Standard (SE) edition of the game. Some of you may have the Collector’s (CE) edition of the game. They are both identical except for the bonus material offered in the CE. Anybody playing the CE should wait until all players have completed the game before commenting on what additional information the CE has to offer.

As always, please use spoiler tags when discussing hint-type information.

This is a great game. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Once everyone has checked in, I’ll give the objective for the first chapter.

Enjoy!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 18 October 2015 11:35 PM

When you have the game loaded, watch the introductory cut scenes and report back that you’re ready to go.

I’ll check tonight. It’s odd, I got the game on Saturday evening, and downloaded/installed it (the SE), but for some reason I didn’t launch it… Sealed Lips

Lost Lands is a portal game.

??? Tongue Grin Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

I’m ready to go! This will be interesting.  Smile

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Ready, cap’n! I’ve played this before, so I’m going to try “hard” difficulty.

It’s kind of unusual to open a fantasy game in a parking garage, isn’t it?

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I liked the opening in the garage. Gives some context. We know our heroine is conscientious, for example, because we see the groceries she chose.  Grin

Ready to go here as well.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Ready to go!

Nice opening sequence. The cauldron spell sounds like it’s in a language Tolkien could have written. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess we’re waiting on Sefir ans Iz to check in, (plus any lurkers that have decided to join.) Then we’ll be ready to go.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I’m ready. I like the parking garage and rather wish they could have kept the game in the modern world. I can see the four horsemen riding motorcycles or driving hot sports cars.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nicholas Cage would certainly been one of them.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

furgotten - 19 October 2015 09:18 PM

I’m ready. I like the parking garage and rather wish they could have kept the game in the modern world. I can see the four horsemen riding motorcycles or driving hot sports cars.

Ooh, I like this idea. It’d be a welcome change from the beaten-to-death ‘classic’ fantasy setting.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! I’m not going to hold up the game. Time to get started. You should play from the start point, which is where you end up after watching the cut scenes. (Screenshot of that scene posted earlier.)

Play until you go through your first real portal and end up here:

It should take about an hour to get from point A to point B. You have until Thursday to complete the task. Let me know when you have arrived.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just passing by to tell that I got the game installed and was ready to go!!
On to the first portal then!!! Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

All here except Iznogood. We are off and running!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 20 October 2015 11:05 AM

It should take about an hour to get from point A to point B. You have until Thursday to complete the task. Let me know when you have arrived.

Either I’m slow, or you’re fast, or both, because I reached point B but it took me well over two hours…
OK, I also changed some nappies and cleaned up some baby vomit while leaving the game running, but still…

A lot of variation in the puzzles so far! Yay!!!
Reminds me of Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood that way, which can only mean good things!

I like how we’re obviously wearing our modern day clothes in the cutscenes. Makes for a nice contrast, and reminds us that we’re basically a fish out of water. It also makes me think of ‘Crusade in Jeans’, which is one of the more famous/popular Dutch children’s books (nearly everyone in my general age bracket has read it in their early teens).

I also like that the actor that’s voicing the hermit/druid is doing his utmost to sound like Sir Ian McKellen Gandalf. Tongue

Got semi-stuck once (I refuse to use hints unless absolutely necessary, and skipping puzzles is completely out of the question): I knew what I had to do (making the ‘flying powder’), but the game didn’t let me do it until I placed the instruction sheet on the table. Seemed unnecessary to me.

Similar (but WORSE) in the last HO: I had put all the buttons in the right positions to open the cash register, but it didn’t open until I *took the clue off the wall and placed it right next to where the cash register was*. I didn’t change ANYTHING, but THEN it opened when I pulled the lever…
I hate it when games do that, it doesn’t make any sense…
Imagine that the lock on your bike won’t open with the right number combination unless you first put a piece of paper next to it that contains said combination. That’s just stupid…

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2015-05-24

PM

I’m also there now. I did however skip one puzzle, partly because I have a fever, but even more so, I really really hate certain puzzles.  Naughty
It’s the one with the wheels that you have to turn. Lots. It’s what you call a slider puzzle right? Perhaps this doesn’t need a spoiler, haha, but I really don’t want to mess up.

I’ll comment more about the game later, feel really crappy at the moment ...

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

RebKean - 21 October 2015 08:08 AM

It’s what you call a slider puzzle right?

Actually, no. This is a slider puzzle:

Get well soon!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top