• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New 3DS announced

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I thought I’d be able to stay away from Layton for a bit. I guess not Smile Just finished Curious Village.

Another great one. While the game (same as the rest of the series) have heavy fantasy elements, I loved how this one felt a bit more like a classic detective story, with murder mystery on its central stage. It’s also a bit shorter, which I actually liked, because it seemed like the game had a few less fillers.

Puzzles were pretty standard for a Layton game, which means they were great. The only difference were puzzles in the ending Tower section. In later games, all puzzles that you needed to solve (even the ending ones), were more on the easy side. The tower section though, had a few real mind benders.

I’m also (slowly) playing through Steamworld Dig 2. I must say it’s one the best metroidvania games I’ve played and it’s up there with Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse and even close to the almighty Hollow Knight (though, that one still wears the crown as my favourite). The reason I’m mentioning Dig 2 with Shantae and Hollow Knight, is that it shares similar gameplay mechanics. Not only are abilities, that you gain through the game, needed to reach new parts of the map, but they also change how you are moving through the world. The end result is, the more you play the game, the more enjoyable it becomes.

I’m really recommending that one. And if you have a chance, play it on 3DS with 3d on. While the 3d implementation is a little bit less impressive than with Shantae (that one is absolutely gorgeous), it still adds to the atmosphere and makes the presentation that much better.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Curious Village is my favorite Layton game. True, they are all excellent, but that one was just plain fun. Great story and fun puzzles.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I love the curious village as a puzzle game and as a story, but Luke feels REALLY weird in that one.

He looks kind of spaced out all the time and his voice actor either was uncertain about the character or the direction they were given was unclear.

Later on in the series he gets very determined, sometimes innocent-looking, etc, and he becomes my FAVORITE character (I really wish they would make a Luke Triton Gentleman in Training Game)!

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Celebreon - 14 August 2020 11:51 AM

I love the curious village as a puzzle game and as a story, but Luke feels REALLY weird in that one.

You know, it’s funny you mentioned that, because I was thinking the very same thing. Coming straight from prequel trilogy, I notice Luke was quite a bit different in Curious Village. It didn’t bother me much, but yes, I found Luke more likeable in other games.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Currently playing Layton’s Mysterious Journey on the Switch

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually really liked Layton’s Mysterious Journey. Played it on the iPad. Not the best of the series but quite fun.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Lucien21 - 15 August 2020 09:24 AM

Currently playing Layton’s Mysterious Journey on the Switch

How do you like it (especially in comparison to the original Layton series)?

I finished Steamworld Dig 2. Fantastic metroidvania if a bit on the shorter side- game clock is saying 10 hours.

Anyway, seeing how much I’m enjoying handheld 3DS, I decided to get myself Switch Lite as well.
It’s a nice little console, I like it. But I must say 3DS is still my favourite. Don’t get me wrong, Switch is cute and it plays nice. But in comparison, 3DS feels more special. To be frank, I’m missing stereoscopic 3d and I like the feeling of 3DS in my hands better… not to mention clamshell-design of 3ds is a pure win.

That being said, there are games I really want to play on Switch and I much prefer it over PC or Android/iOS.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I decided to get myself Switch Lite as well.

The Switch lite is a much more powerful system than a 3DS, it should give you years of great gaming.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Yes, I like it and I’m glad I got it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top