• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Freeware Game Recommendations

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

I recently played A Tale of Two Kingdoms, and really liked it. It has a medieval/fantasy setting, in the style of the old Sierra games (and yes, that means you can die Smile). It is about a kingdom that is on the verge of war, but because of an earlier feud, the alliances that form are shaky. In that setting the plot unfolds (which I think is quite nicely done). It has multiple solutions to puzzles and many sidequests, so it also has a high replayability.

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Luna Sevithiainen - 15 February 2014 10:31 AM

I recently played A Tale of Two Kingdoms, and really liked it.

++ And it was made by the team behind Heroine’s Quest. I’m surprised it hasn’t been recommended before!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It just made me think after posting a screenshot from Jessica Plunkenstein and the Dussoldorf Conspiracy on AGSotD today, a very good Freeware game, how many other wonderful games that are developed that you don’t have to pay a bean for to play!

I thought it would be nice to post your recommendations here with a screenshot if possible & a short description!

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Antrax for the link - I did have some vague recollection in the back of my mind that the thread might have been done before! But! the last post was in February! I’m quite happy to ask the moderators to delete this thread & to please then continue on Basculho’s thread. My main criticism of the recommendations on that one is that there is absolutely no descriptions of the games whatsoever & why the posters liked them! My idea is to continue that thread with a screenshot & a little more info about the game, as already said, as the comments on that thread so far tell you absolutely nothing & do little to promote the games mentioned!    Smile

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I like the idea of screenshots and a description. Lists aren’t very useful.

Dragonsphere

“It’s better than King’s Quest” - that should be the tagline for Dragonsphere, because it is. This should be top of anyone’s list who hasn’t played it and doesn’t totally hate fantasy.

Seiklus

An interesting and unique game with some platform elements, but you can’t die.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Chrissie, I merged both threads because they serve the same purpose, because the old one has a link here, and because the bigger the thread gets, the more interesting it becomes.
So in a way, thanks for bumping it! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

A recent freeware: Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor

Very amusing, quite lenghty, a graphic style that sometimes reminded me of Lucasart games, a lot of inventory puzzles and some humorous dialogs. In fact, the game is more entertaining than many commercial games.

A tip: make sure to look at the bible several times when you manage to enter the church.
The extracts described by Donald will surely make adventure game fans smile.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 20 September 2014 04:16 AM

Chrissie, I merged both threads because they serve the same purpose, because the old one has a link here, and because the bigger the thread gets, the more interesting it becomes.
So in a way, thanks for bumping it! Cool

Thanks Tim for merging my thread with the older one & also Zifnab & Greg for posting their screenshots & descriptions which is a lot more helpful than just posting a title!  Laughing I’m pretty sure I’ve already got Dragonsphere as a freebie from GoG & I like the look of Donald Dowell!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Reactor 09 is an older AGS game that’s actually really good. You’re a prisoner convicted for murder and you need to convince the correctional officer to let you go. It’s the dialogue and the story that really makes this game.

There’s also the awesome thread by Intense Degree with reviews of AGS games http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/813

Image Attachments

reactor09.jpg

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

chrissie - 19 September 2014 12:13 PM

It just made me think after posting a screenshot from Jessica Plunkenstein and the Dussoldorf Conspiracy on AGSotD today, a very good Freeware game, how many other wonderful games that are developed that you don’t have to pay a bean for to play!

I thought it would be nice to post your recommendations here with a screenshot if possible & a short description!

Don’t forget we have our monthly Following Freeware episodes!

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

chrissie - 20 September 2014 12:15 PM

posting their screenshots & descriptions which is a lot more helpful than just posting a title!

Google has a new tool where you just type the title in and mmediately get screenshots, publisher information and a variety of reviews. Give it a try: http://www.google.com

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

tsa - 20 September 2014 06:15 PM

Don’t forget we have our monthly Following Freeware episodes!

I do browse through that sometimes tsa but I don’t always have time to read through every description of every game!

Antrax - 20 September 2014 11:57 PM
chrissie - 20 September 2014 12:15 PM

posting their screenshots & descriptions which is a lot more helpful than just posting a title!

Google has a new tool where you just type the title in and mmediately get screenshots, publisher information and a variety of reviews. Give it a try: http://www.google.com

Here I am on an Adventure game forum on a thread entitled Freeware Game Recommendations so what’s your problem with a player posting their screenshot & giving a reason why they would recommend a game as I really don’t understand? Yes, I already know about the resources on Google.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m not the one who criticized how others chose to recommend games.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Antrax - 22 September 2014 03:34 AM

I’m not the one who criticized how others chose to recommend games.

Well, I just think it’s sad that the criticism can’t be perceived as constructive in view of the fact that the thread died a death in February! Why? because listing games is neither interesting or informative & doesn’t really serve to recommend them & I don’t believe posting a patronising link to an external website to follow up those titles is a good way to encourage anyone to want to play those games! My intention was not to offend any posters who’d followed suit & I apologise if I did but it was more the opposite - I was & am interested to know more about a players personal experience & thoughts about a game which can only be a positive thing to encourage more people to try Freeware games along with the wonderful round-up of the most recent in the monthly Following Freeware feature here!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top