• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure game with overall best inventory puzzles?

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

I’d like to hear what adventure game you think has the best overall inventory puzzles?

Ideally give one best and another one that’s an underrated/lesser known game with great inventory puzzles.

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, my best one would be Day of the Tentacle, with its hilarious puzzles and the fact that using objects can alter the future.

About a lesse known game, I would recommend (again, sorry) the free game Urban Witch Story, with good puzzles well integrated in the story.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Can’t argue with Day of the Tentacle. Big fat juicy inventory item icons, clear objectives, clever solutions. Just classic.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah, DotT is great for sure. I’m really drawing a blank now thinking about all the adventures I’ve played and can’t really recall which ones had good inventories and which didn’t. But I really like if games allow you to interact with the inventory well, for example examine the items so that you can find new deductions or other items from them. I mean likes of actually rotating the items in 3D games, not just clicking examine on a pot and the ingredients inside it pop into your inventory.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Yes! Love when you can rotate an inventory object! What are some examples of games with good inventory puzzles that let you do this? KQ7 is the first to pop in my mind.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Let’s go with The Longest Journey and Kathy Rain. Both had solid puzzles and good use of inventory to solve them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Day of the Tentacle has a really clever mechanic with the inventory puzzles and some of my favourite puzzle sequences of all time(s).

And yes to King’s Quest 7 and being able to examine items in 3D! KQ6 gets most of the praise, but KQ7 upped the inventory game. Some of the puzzles in KQ7 are the best in the series. I seem to remember one or two sequences with multiple solutions, as well.

Resonance does something interesting by using memories you ‘carry around’. You can use them, to some extent. There are traditional (and seperate) inventory puzzles. Pretty good, not groundbreaking. But the memory mechanic is a novel idea.

edit: Return to Mysterious Island has cool inventory puzzle design. Multiple possible combinations of objects, different solutions and room to experiment.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Not surprised that most people named Day of the Tentacle as it’s famous for its inventory puzzles scattered over time periods. Somehow I was never a big fan, the game’s too zany and cartoon-like for my taste. I prefer Monkey Island 2: love the main quest of collecting four map pieces, with each of them consisting of smaller quests involving multi-step solutions, as well as gathering ingredients for a voodoo doll twice.

In Sierra’s catalogue I enjoyed inventory puzzles in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers the most (code puzzles - not so much). They are both pretty hard and very logical, following real-world rules. Puzzles that take place at the Jackson Square in particular are beautifully designed.

I also have a soft spot for the games that find lots of creative uses for one item. Coktel Vision was good at it, with Goblins 3 being my favourite: lost count on how many uses they invented for a coin or a golf club. In Lost in Time they came up with some of the coolest inventory combinations MacGyver-style. And the aforementioned Return to the Mysterious Island along with Voyage by Kheops did both things incredibly well.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Adv_Lvr - 09 February 2021 10:44 PM

Let’s go with The Longest Journey and Kathy Rain. Both had solid puzzles and good use of inventory to solve them.

Heart

I hear so many different opinions on Longest Journey’s puzzles. Some say they are bad and some say great! Haven’t played Kathy Rain. I’m a sucker for good inventory puzzles, so I might have to check it out.

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Doom - 10 February 2021 01:49 PM

Not surprised that most people named Day of the Tentacle as it’s famous for its inventory puzzles scattered over time periods. Somehow I was never a big fan, the game’s too zany and cartoon-like for my taste. I prefer Monkey Island 2: love the main quest of collecting four map pieces, with each of them consisting of smaller quests involving multi-step solutions, as well as gathering ingredients for a voodoo doll twice.

In Sierra’s catalogue I enjoyed inventory puzzles in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers the most (code puzzles - not so much). They are both pretty hard and very logical, following real-world rules. Puzzles that take place at the Jackson Square in particular are beautifully designed.

I also have a soft spot for the games that find lots of creative uses for one item. Coktel Vision was good at it, with Goblins 3 being my favourite: lost count on how many uses they invented for a coin or a golf club. In Lost in Time they came up with some of the coolest inventory combinations MacGyver-style. And the aforementioned Return to the Mysterious Island along with Voyage by Kheops did both things incredibly well.

I loved DotT and MI2 (and 3) for inventory puzzles! Haven’t played GK1 in decades so might have to fire it up again. I do wish there were more games like Lost in Time with it’s Macgyver like inventory puzzles. Not a huge fan of the Kheopps games though.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

indyjones2131 - 10 February 2021 03:17 PM
Adv_Lvr - 09 February 2021 10:44 PM

Heart

I hear so many different opinions on Longest Journey’s puzzles. Some say they are bad and some say great! Haven’t played Kathy Rain. I’m a sucker for good inventory puzzles, so I might have to check it out.

All that hassle about TLJ is just one puzzle at the very beginning, but i also wouldnt call it heavy or the best at inventory puzzles, it has different approaches, one total chapter is more of Myst style puzzles, another needs a lot of reading and mostly all focusing on the surrounding and details of the areas you are in , its a magnificent game anyways, must be played.

all Future Game(Black Mirror) & Deck13(Jack Keane) games are heavy on inventory puzzles.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I hesitantly mention The Antidote.

I don’t think it has the best puzzles, so it’s not the right answer in that regard, but the inventory deserves to be mentioned otherwise. You can have discussions with almost any inventory item, and sometimes talking to random objects will actually give hints about how to solve some puzzles in the game.

You will end up having the Book of Useless Facts in the inventory at one point, and reading that book will give a couple of laughs, it will give hints/solutions to some puzzles, and if I recall, you also need to combine it with some other objects at one point. So the developers have clearly spent more time on building inventory-based activities than many other games ever do.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I guess usable notebooks also count as “inventory puzzles”? I always loved how it was possible to combine notes with each other and other items/persons in Discworld Noir. Some other games have used this too, many Wadjet Eye games for example.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I loved DoTT for inventory puzzles and I have played that game so many times, but, for me the best game for inventory puzzles is Simon the Sorcerer 1. Great game!

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

millenia - 11 February 2021 02:42 PM

I guess usable notebooks also count as “inventory puzzles”? I always loved how it was possible to combine notes with each other and other items/persons in Discworld Noir. Some other games have used this too, many Wadjet Eye games for example.

Yeah! Discworld Noir’s notebook is great! I never understood why is ranked 27th in Top 100 All-Times Adventure Games here. It is a clear top ten for me.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top