• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2020

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Best Story:
Best Writing – Comedy:
Best Writing – Drama:
Best Character:
Best Gameplay:
Best Concept:
Best Setting:
Best Graphic Design:
Best Animation:
Best Music:
Best Acting:
Best Sound Effects:
Best Non-Traditional Adventure:
Best Traditional Adventure:
Best Adventure of 2020:

I am far off the hook last year enough to hardly could be able to name a game for each category, but for all i care two games can easily tick many of those subjects; LSL: WDDT and There is No Game.
but i guess there must be many AGs released last year that i don’t remember or they do not tick as many points?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

There’s a lot I haven’t placed - Call of the Sea, Creaks, In Other Waters, Disco Elysium.

The only category I would give to There Is No Game is possibly “best acting”, even though Dark Nights with Poe & Munro should really win that. It has a faint chance at “best concept” but would probably be beaten by both The Longing and Discolored.

Best comedy and gameplay I’d give to Lair of the Clockwork God, best story, music and drama I’d give to Mutazione.

Best setting, Tales from Off Peak City or Mutazione.

Graphic Design was one of the very few things that Willy Morgan did right. You could say the same about Beautiful Desolation.

Best Character I’d give to Cloudpunk’s Huxley - mysterious, comedic, tragic.

I don’t think I can decide on overall best game unless I’ve played more (which I doubt I will) but if I had a gun to my head I would probably pick between LOTCG, Virtuaverse and Mutazione.

I don’t think it was a strong overall year, in any case. Maybe I just played all the wrong games.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thought I played many games last year, but looking back… I guess I didn’t. Skipped many of them after watching trailers/gameplay videos and getting bored quickly. Somehow a lot of late games feel monotonous and slow to me. Why I quit Creeks and can’t bring myself to play The Longing or Paradise Killer, for example, despite the high ratings. Röki and Beautiful Desolation also failed me.

Still I think There Is No Game will easily take both best concept, best comedy and best non-traditional adventure at the AG staff voting. Although I kinda agree that Lair of the Clockwork God was overall better at comedy as I found humour in There Is No Game of varying quality. I’d give best traditional adventure to Dark Fall 4, although maybe I need to play the new Larry first.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think Call of the Sea should win a few Aggies, best setting or best story would be my best guess.

Best Character I’d give to Cloudpunk’s Huxley - mysterious, comedic, tragic.

I could not agree more, maybe best graphics too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

Luhr28 - 17 January 2021 04:53 PM

There’s a lot I haven’t placed - Call of the Sea, Creaks, In Other Waters, Disco Elysium.

Best comedy and gameplay I’d give to Lair of the Clockwork God, best story, music and drama I’d give to Mutazione.

Both Disco Elysium and Mutazione were released in 2019, so they’re not eligible this year.

EDIT: Looking back over it, both were featured in last year’s Aggies—DE won both the staff and readers’ choice awards for Best Concept, and Mutazione was a runner-up for the staff Best Writing - Drama award. I own both and have played neither, because I’m awful.

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I managed to play and finish quite a few 2020 games, namely:
Billy Masters Was Right, Embracelet, Family, Kentucky Route Zero, Lair of the Clockwork God, Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice, Murder by Numbers, Paradise Killer, Rivals, Röki, Sol705, The White Door, There is No Game: Wrong Dimension, Urban Witch Story and VirtuaVerse.

Most of these were worth playing so I’m quite happy with how the year turned out game-wise.

On my to play list I have A Hand With Many Fingers, I Am Dead and Lancelot’s Hangover: The Quest for the Holy Booze, but those are pretty short so I should be able to finish them before the voting begins.

Best Story: This is a tough one. There are a lot of games that had good stories, but none that really had amazing stories. At the moment it’s a competition between Larry, Urban Witch Story and VirtuaVerse.

Best Writing – Comedy: There is No Game: Wrong Dimension, easy choice. This game absolutely nailed the fourth wall breaking humor.

Best Writing – Drama: Urban Witch Story. I thought the dialogue was written really well in this game, especially considering it’s translated from Spanish and is a free game.

Best Character: Game from There is No Game.

Best Gameplay: There is No Game: Wrong Dimension. Another easy choice, the puzzles are super satisfying to solve and really clever.

Best Concept: Family or Rivals. Taking the mechanics of Return of the Obra Dinn and translating them to alternative indie music scenes is really clever and works really well.

Best Setting: VirtuaVerse. I’m a sucker for cyberpunk settings and this one is really nice in that it’s not just neon cities, but varied locations.

Best Graphic Design: Paradise Killer. I love the pixel art of VirtuaVerse, but it’s been done a lot, whereas the vaporwave aesthetic of Paradise Killer feels more fresh.

Best Animation: No clear candidate from what I’ve played so far.

Best Music: Paradise Killer. Another easy choice. I listened to the soundtrack many times at work this year. The soundtrack for Family is good too though.

Best Acting: There is No Game: Wrong Dimension. The voice acting is incredible.

Best Sound Effects: No clear candidate from what I’ve played so far.

Best Non-Traditional Adventure: Paradise Killer. A game that rewards open world exploration and detective work.

Best Traditional Adventure: There is No Game: Wrong Dimension. I guess there is a lot that is non-traditional about it, but I think of it as traditional. If it’s not eligible then VirtuaVerse would get my vote.

Best Adventure of 2020: There is No Game: Wrong Dimension. I think this game is going to win a lot of awards this year. Not many adventure games manage to get enough votes to enter the overwhelmingly positive category in Steam, but it’s highly deserved for this game.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Best Story:Tell me Why
Best Writing – Comedy:The Procession to Calvary
Best Writing – Drama:Tell me Why
Best Character: Anthony from Little Hope
Best Gameplay: There’s No Game
Best Concept:Beyond a Steel Sky
Best Setting:Amnesia - Rebirth
Best Retro Graphic Design:Beautiful Desolation
Best Animation:Creaks
Best Music:Chicken cop
Best Acting:The Complex
Best Sound Effects:The Dark Pictures Anthology Little Hope
Best Non-Traditional Adventure:Tell me Why
Best Traditional Adventure:Sam Max Save the World remastered
The Adventure of 2020:There’s no game Wink

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-01-19

PM

I’m going, to be honest, that didn’t play hundreds of games in 2020.
There were a few that really took my breath away. There were not many
indie games released that I saw that were adventures) but some stood out
and the AAA games have also done well in 2020 in terms of actually emoting something.

Here they are:

Best Story: Beautiful Desolation
Best Writing – Comedy: Nothing was funny in 2020
Best Writing – Drama:  Necrobarista and Coffee Talk (Both were amazing)
Best Character: The Last of Us Part 2 - Abby, a very tragic character
Best Gameplay: Beyond a Steel Sky - I know it had its flaws but I enjoyed it.
Best Concept: Carto (was this even released in 2020? if not then Umurangi Generation)
Best Setting: Beautiful Desolation was very unique.
Best Graphic Design: Beautiful Desolation
Best Animation: The Pathless
Best Music: Final Fantasy VII Remake (AAA but had a nice retro feel to it)
Best Acting: The Last of Us Part 2 - Films become games.
Best Sound Effects: Nothing that springs to mind.
Best Non-Traditional Adventure: Beautiful Desolation, It was like a point and click wrapped in something else?
Best Traditional Adventure: Don’t know.
Best Adventure of 2020: Beautiful Desolation (I loved this game!)

Been playing games since ‘82

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Gabe - 19 January 2021 01:54 PM

Was 2020 so bad that the best game is a 14 years old episodic game where some of the original actors have been replaced and somebody has added some new shaders?

Also, how traditional is traditional supposed to be? The episodic Telltale formula doesn’t come first to mind when talking about traditional adventures.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Cicerone53 - 18 January 2021 10:33 PM
Luhr28 - 17 January 2021 04:53 PM

Both Disco Elysium and Mutazione were released in 2019, so they’re not eligible this year.

Oh. Well that’s disappointing. Mutazione was the best thing I played this year. I suppose that means Lair of the Clockwork God gets more awards, because I didn’t think too much of There Is No Game or Roki or BD. Gabe made me remember Tell Me Why, which was also pretty good.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

GateKeeper - 20 January 2021 07:22 AM
Gabe - 19 January 2021 01:54 PM

Also, how traditional is traditional supposed to be? The episodic Telltale formula doesn’t come first to mind when talking about traditional adventures.

Sam&max; are traditionally best forever.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2021-01-19

PM

Lair of the Clockwork God was ok. I thought it was interesting but the platformer component was irritating and gimmicky (IMHO). It was funny so maybe for a comedy game but I dunno… B.D. still does it for me. Beyond a Steel Sky could have been great but it was mired by some weird character choices, I think it tried to be AAA when Indie would have been fine. 2020 was a strange year.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

larrygrover - 20 January 2021 04:17 AM

Best Concept: Carto (was this even released in 2020? if not then Umurangi Generation)
Best Non-Traditional Adventure: Beautiful Desolation, It was like a point and click wrapped in something else?

The Last of Us Part 2 and FFVII Remake aren’t adventure games, so they’re not eligible. See Marek’s What Are Adventure Games? article (https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547) or the definition on the front page if you’d like more specific guidance on what we do and don’t cover!

To your question, Carto was released in 2020—I reviewed it myself!

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Main Aggies will be among There is no game: Wrong Dimension, Paradise Killer and Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice.

But I am glad some people liked so much Urban Witch Story, free and much better game than many commercial adventure games.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-01-19

PM

Cicerone53 - 20 January 2021 04:22 PM
larrygrover - 20 January 2021 04:17 AM

The Last of Us Part 2 and FFVII Remake aren’t adventure games, so they’re not eligible. See Marek’s What Are Adventure Games? article (https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547) or the definition on the front page if you’d like more specific guidance on what we do and don’t cover!

To your question, Carto was released in 2020—I reviewed it myself!

Oh cool. Thanks for the clarification, ill need to think long and hard about what games should fill themusic award and acting cats.

Carto was lots of fun, ill check out the review.

-LG

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Ok, here’s my two cents:

Best Story: Röki
Best Writing – Comedy: Dude, Where is my Beer?
Best Writing – Drama: Chicken Police
Best Character: Robert Foster
Best Gameplay: Beyond a Steel Sky
Best Concept: Paradise Killer
Best Setting: Röki
Best Graphic Design: Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town
Best Animation: Luna: the Shadow Dust
Best Non-Traditional Adventure: Paradise Killer
Best Music: Beyond a Steel Sky

I have absolutely no idea about the other categories, including the best adventure of the year. If I have to say which adventure was best FOR ME, I would go for:

Best Adventure of 2020: Beyond a Steel Sky

On a personal note, I’d really love to see The Hand of Glory getting some nominations in these aggies (being the author, I didn’t pick it in my favourites). It would be a dream come true, even if I don’t win!  Heart Eyes

The Hand of Glory is out!
Currently developing Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top