• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

BROK the InvestiGator (Out now)

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Hi!

After 4 years of work since Demetrios, I’m finally ready to unveil my new adventure game - “BROK the InvestiGator!”
And I have a surprise for you…
A free prologue is available RIGHT NOW on Steam and GOG!

Steam : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318790
GOG : https://www.gog.com/game/brok_the_investigator_prologue

Whaaaaat? Fights?!... (runs away)

WAIT! Don’t leave yet!
I know. Adventure gamers don’t like action scenes in their point & click.
However, it would be a mistake not to give it a chance. Because…

- Brok is 90% a classic adventure game and can be fully played with a mouse.

- All fights and action scenes can be skipped. The game offers a difficulty choice, the “story” mode gives access to that “skip” button.

- And most importantly… The ability to break stuff is a tool added to your regular adventure game panel.

Actually, you’ll use it most often OUTSIDE of fights!

All the Brok rooms are highly interactive. Maybe even more than any classic adventure game ever made.

Of course, you can click on any elements like a regular Point & Click and get (voice acted) descriptions by your character, pick up inventory and solve puzzles etc…
But you can also hit and break many elements (including characters!) and jump everywhere!
The whole game was built around this idea.

Now, let’s add that choices matter in Brok (multiple endings + a screen summarizes your path) and you can start to realize how this opens a whole range of possibilities.

As for the story… Forget Demetrios.
Brok is on a whole other dimension when it comes to narration. And the few testers who already played through the whole game will attest it :p
But the best is still for you to… experience it.

GRAB the prologue and PLAY it! Smile

Let me know if you have any questions!

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Not much activity but hopefully this topic allows some of you to notice the game.

BROK prologue has received a lot of praise! It’s currently 98% positive on Steam out of 70 reviews, all ending with “I can’t wait for the full release!”
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318790/BROK_the_InvestiGator__Prologue/

I’m happy everyone approves the risk I took, combining two opposite genres into one big adventure Smile

Now the Kickstarter is live!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cowcatgames/brok-the-investigator
Already 50% funded in 3 hours, and Kickstarter badge “Projects we love!”

I’ll complete this game no matter what but this is a good opportunity for some limited goodies such as a PC “big box” physical.

Let me know if you have any questions!

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I saw the Kickstarter page. Graphics look great, and I had a good chuckle at the InvestiGATOR title. Smile

I’m intrigued by the concept. Hopefully you get to appeal to both the adventure crowd and the beat’em up crowd, making both feel deep enough… Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Intrigued by almost any game that has an animal/reptile as the lead character. I’ll even throw in bugs, as in a game Josh Mandel was working on several years ago that, apparently, never made it to the big screen. Skippable action scenes are definitely a plus.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

TimovieMan - 05 January 2021 05:14 PM

I saw the Kickstarter page. Graphics look great, and I had a good chuckle at the InvestiGATOR title. Smile

That’s not an original idea or title though.

http://gamesbybees.itch.io/gator

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

TimovieMan - 05 January 2021 05:14 PM

I’m intrigued by the concept. Hopefully you get to appeal to both the adventure crowd and the beat’em up crowd, making both feel deep enough… Thumbs Up

Thank you! This wasn’t my original title actually, I had in mind “Tough Brok” and then “Brok the Brawler Detective”.
But this was suggested as a title and I ran a poll - it was the clear winner ^^’

As for whether adventure game fans like it - well, just check the player feedback Smile Also some well known German adventure game fans like Sven and Marco Hundertmark played through the whole game last year (with an early, unfinished build) and they loved it. I designed the game for ANY type of player in mind.

rtrooney - 05 January 2021 07:09 PM

Intrigued by almost any game that has an animal/reptile as the lead character. I’ll even throw in bugs, as in a game Josh Mandel was working on several years ago that, apparently, never made it to the big screen. Skippable action scenes are definitely a plus.

Sorry, there are bugs in the game but… they’re the “eaten” ones XD
Here is an Antburger, Brok’s favorite food!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I like alligators/crocodiles but can’t really afford to kickstart anything now. Glad to see this funded though, and I reckon I will eventually play it. Looks nice. I’m not a fan of brawling but I am a bit intrigued how the mechanic will work outside of fights.

Demetrios didn’t really hit the spot for me but I could appreciate many aspects of it and considered it well done. I was thinking that another game by the same creator might suit my tastes, and this setting at least seems to be more of my style.

Good luck!

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I tried the free prologue and played it for about 2 hrs. It is a very well made game, with an interesting gameplay idea, but nothing about the world or characters hooked me. I dont know really why, all I can figure is the animal detective sub genre, is just not for me. I was also very underwhelmed by another game of this type called chicken police lol.

The game ran smoothly until combat, then I did experience some massive slow downs with 2 or more enemies on screen. Also I didnt like the default control options for the game pad. Hope the full game will let you reassign buttons.

The voice acting is mostly solid, but was not a big fan of the main character, he was a little too goofy for me. This game gives off very sly cooper vibes for better and for worse.

I could def see some really loving this game, but like I said it was just not my cup of tea. Good luck with the development

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Sorry, but the Indy adventure games did Punch + Click first

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Burge - 14 January 2021 04:35 AM

Sorry, but the Indy adventure games did Punch + Click first

But not Beat’em up :p Indy’s fights were very limited, no free movement and only one enemy. BROK has all the moves you’d expect from a beat’em up, maybe even more! (But to realize this, you need to go to the VR training area)

I tried the free prologue and played it for about 2 hrs. It is a very well made game, with an interesting gameplay idea, but nothing about the world or characters hooked me. I dont know really why, all I can figure is the animal detective sub genre, is just not for me. I was also very underwhelmed by another game of this type called chicken police lol.

The game ran smoothly until combat, then I did experience some massive slow downs with 2 or more enemies on screen. Also I didnt like the default control options for the game pad. Hope the full game will let you reassign buttons.

The voice acting is mostly solid, but was not a big fan of the main character, he was a little too goofy for me. This game gives off very sly cooper vibes for better and for worse.

I could def see some really loving this game, but like I said it was just not my cup of tea. Good luck with the development

It’s not just an animal detective, it’s also a cyberpunk style setting. (though a bit different from the norm) Strange about the slowdowns, you’re the first person to report this. What’s your PC configuration like? Fights are slightly more demanding on the CPU but not THAT much.

What didn’t you like about the gamepad buttons? Currently you can redefine keyboard keys, not gamepad - it really didn’t feel necessary to me. I am very curious to know what exactly was a problem for you.

I like alligators/crocodiles but can’t really afford to kickstart anything now. Glad to see this funded though, and I reckon I will eventually play it. Looks nice. I’m not a fan of brawling but I am a bit intrigued how the mechanic will work outside of fights.

Demetrios didn’t really hit the spot for me but I could appreciate many aspects of it and considered it well done. I was thinking that another game by the same creator might suit my tastes, and this setting at least seems to be more of my style.

Good luck!

Good to know, try the Prologue someday if you can!

The Kickstarter is going great, 200%+ funded and 3 stretch goals already Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Its an older laptop, one enemy is fine, two or more slow it down.

The setup for the GamePad is not horrible.I just like to use the keys I like to use. For instance I don’t like the start button being used to open the inventory I’d rather it be put on x. it’s just a personal preference. More options for the player I think is always better.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

OK, I see.
X is 95% of the time used as the attack button in games. Anyway, we’ll see, for the final version I may offer a button assign for gamepad similar to the keyboard “redefine keys” on the PC version, especially for people who have generic controllers. Not on consoles though, it would be too easy to screw up and get locked out of the game entirely (while on PC you can still use the mouse)

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 January 2021 01:23 PM

The setup for the GamePad is not horrible.I just like to use the keys I like to use. For instance I don’t like the start button being used to open the inventory I’d rather it be put on x. it’s just a personal preference. More options for the player I think is always better.

I’m not much of a console player, but isn’t X the usual action button?
That’s almost the standard in console gaming, unless I am mistaken (and I may well be, it’s been a long while since I last even touched any console).

Of course reassigning option would always be nice, but at least to me X is in the WASD category, you know what it does even before playing the game.

That has even been an inspiration of some kind to a comedy FMV adventure game Press X to Not Die.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 16 January 2021 07:28 AM
Jdawg445 - 15 January 2021 01:23 PM

I’m not much of a console player, but isn’t X the usual action button?
That’s almost the standard in console gaming, unless I am mistaken (and I may well be, it’s been a long while since I last even touched any console).

Of course reassigning option would always be nice, but at least to me X is in the WASD category, you know what it does even before playing the game.

That has even been an inspiration of some kind to a comedy FMV adventure game Press X to Not Die.

I usually end up playing all games on my PC through a HDMI cable to use on my TV and i use an xpadder to assign buttons to controller. For the record yes x is used as action in most non inventory game. But even this game has two modes. I believe the y button goes from pnc mode to action mode. In pnc mode it would be easier to use x to open inventory instead of start bc on the xbox360 controller the start button is really small and awkwardly placed at least to me.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

But then I would have to change the inventory button for fights. It’s clearer to use the same button to open the menu, whatever the mode.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I have run a fanart contest for BROK during the Kickstarter and… well, take a gander Wink

Full resolution here : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtUmsOyXUAEJs9c?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Yep, the game already has a lot of fans XD

The Kickstarter ends in 48 hours!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cowcatgames/brok-the-investigator/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top