• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #60 - The Silent Age

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I like Chrissie’s idea of using the fish to lure the crocodile back to the swamp! Much more believable. And we end up with a live crocodile. Maybe even a live fish if we had just trapped it instead of electrocuting it.

This would have been a much better way of handling this situation. Even better then killing the croc.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t think there were supposed to be alligators in that area, so releasing it to the wild might not be such a good idea. Or maybe Joe was just being an idiot. But he said something about how ridiculous the warning of alligators was as there are none. I then figured it was the old guy’s pet we saw.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

From what I can glean Joe acquires the address of the professor & has to go to the shore of Lake Crichton (who knows where that is in the world if it’s real do they have alligators in New Zealand?)
When Joe turns up there is a sign to warn against crocodiles - it does seem that the developer thinks that crocodiles & alligators are the same? Whatever.

millenia - 26 June 2020 11:11 AM

I don’t think there were supposed to be alligators in that area, so releasing it to the wild might not be such a good idea. Or maybe Joe was just being an idiot. But he said something about how ridiculous the warning of alligators was as there are none. I then figured it was the old guy’s pet we saw.

There’s certainly a lot of ambiguity here.    Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, I am sure that everyone has completed the game at least thru chapter 6. So, let’s go ahead and finish the game. And I would love to see end of game comments for how the game worked or did not work for you.

And yes, despite it all, the alligator puzzle was one of the highlights of episode 2 for me.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I finished the last 4 chapters and, to my surprise, enjoyed them more than I expected. Sure, the puzzles became very easy and straightforward, they didn’t even try to come up with something more complex than “find item A and use it in location B” with only few exceptions (the growing an apple tree puzzle was refreshing, and the whole multistep section of getting into the Archon building was ok). But at this point I didn’t expect anything from the game puzzle-wise.

What I liked is how the story was finally introduced: there are characters to talk to (and some of them have A LOT to share), there are diary entries to read that provide a better picture of what happened, there are flashbacks and real-time events by the end with some unnerving scenes. I even started worrying about the protagonist at some point despite I didn’t like him. The story gets deeper, even with some interesting twists.

I did like the professor, that’s the kind of strong, smart character I’d like to play. Of course, the number of references to Back to the Future plus various jokes that appear here and there, especially if you try everything on everything (which I did), makes the game a bit cartoonish (doctor Emma Brown? c’mon!). But that’s the style the dev aimed at I guess, and even modern covid panic often feels like that.

Oh, and I thought the art style seriously improved in this section: the professor’s house, the ruins and various neo-Victorian time machines - all looked very atmospheric. Not so much the ending which was kinda anticlimatic and a bit depressing, but maybe that was the whole point. How many unknown heroes are casually walking the streets, living simple lives, while thousands of hollow, useless media characters are appearing in the daily news?

Thank you for the playthrough, Mikekelly, it was an interesting experience.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I finished the last chapters too.

Doom - 29 June 2020 12:11 PM

....the growing an apple tree puzzle was refreshing

Thumbs Up Yes, as far as puzzles went that was a highlight for me.

But the craziest puzzle for me was to try & replace the missing component for the time machine that turns out to be no more than a teensy weensy normal fuse Laughing

Doom - 29 June 2020 12:11 PM

What I liked is how the story was finally introduced: there are characters to talk to (and some of them have A LOT to share), there are diary entries to read that provide a better picture of what happened, there are flashbacks and real-time events by the end with some unnerving scenes. I even started worrying about the protagonist at some point despite I didn’t like him. The story gets deeper, even with some interesting twists.

Yes, I’d forgotten how this game ended actually.
It’s unnervingly reminiscent of our current pandemic except in the game it was a real virus ‘avian’ flu inadvertently introduced to the past from the future by Joe? by going back? - I got so confused - but whatever, it wasn’t fatal in a different era.

Anyway I thought it was a very well thought-out game which I enjoyed a lot.

Thanks MikeKelly for organising the playthrough!  Thumbs Up

Also thanks to other participants as I’ve enjoyed reading your interesting comments.  Smile   

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am so glad people enjoyed the game and the CPT. I want to thank The Research Scientist for joining in and contributing. It’s always a treat when a developer joins in.

I am looking forward to reading more comments as more people finish the game.

Heart

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I have also finished the game.

While I enjoyed it, I have slightly mixed feelings about the end section. Inside the house was pretty good, I liked the idea of the tanning bulb puzzle, a good idea as a way to recharge the time travel device. I don’t know why, but I think this section had the best changes between the two time periods for me, there was just something cool about the future house, maybe because it was (comparatively) not so decayed as other parts of the ‘future’ world.

My favourite section puzzle wise was probably the next bit, trying to get into Archon. Especially the getting underground part and the draining the dancefloor section too. The locations were pretty insteresting, the time travel parts and changes were good and overall it just flowed really well I think.

The ending I was less happy with, mostly for pacing reasons. It all builds up nicely to being inside Archon but then the rug is pulled out from your feet a bit in Chapter 10 as the pace of the game just drops off. The section in the extreme future, where Frank dies wasn’t great. The puzzles felt tacked on to justify telling that bit of the story, and I wasn’t over impressed with how it was told either. We basically already knew that Frank had taken the time machine after his weirdness in the chapter before. Then he asks for a drink, dumps some backstory on us and then dies.

A change of pace isn’t necessarily a bad thing and if they had picked it up again after that it would have been OK. However the section in the hospital didn’t do that at all and then everything was smoothed over with “...and then it was all ok.”

For me the ending felt unsatisfactory, it just seemed to fall a bit flat.

Having said that I enjoyed the game, it was definitely worth playing. I does have a distinctive art style - and I like the way that from the chapter screen Joe walks to the right when you select a chapter.

Thanks MikeK for leading and to you all for your comments.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finished the game. I think I enjoyed it more this time, maybe because I was playing in a playthrough and had everyone else’s thoughts as well. Getting into Archon was a lot of fun and also frustrated me at times but I thought it was a good mix of puzzles.

The Frank section just fell flat for me.I can see why the developers put it in but maybe they should have had something else happen there as well? ONe thing I had a problem with was when Frank said that their friendship was real. It sure didn’t feel real in the rest of the game!

I liked that the ending was happy and I thought the whole reasoning was clever but thought the way they put it into the game could have been a little more…something. More emotional maybe? Or harder?

Thank you MikeKelly for hosting!

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t finished yet but am enjoying the use of the time travel device again.  Also, using the disco ball really tickled me.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished the game, and my overall feeling at the end was a bit of sadness for Joe.  After all that he went through, he ends up working in front of a computer with a bunch of others doing the same job.  Maybe it was a step up for him in employment, but the last scene with him walking with the leaves falling made me think he was lonely

I do agree that the Frank section was the weakest, but Joe did have to go there to talk to him because the twist wouldn’t have been possible without it.  I also thought it was better for Frank to explain things rather than just reading about it in a diary he left behind.

I did find throughout the game that seeing the people who became skeletons after the time shift was a bit of a punch each time.  (I really felt bad about taking the musician’s quarter.)  Of course, the echos of our current virus situation made the who thing more poignant to me. 

On the whole, I liked the game very much.  The puzzles were fun, and the simple graphics of the game were pleasing.  The voice work was good, and I liked the characters, especially Joe and the inventor.

Thanks for leading this Mikekelly!  It was an enjoyable playthrough. Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2020-06-12

PM

Thank you Mikekelly for the CPT!

A few days ago, it was asked me by the development team of The Silent Age to have a conference. I was connected via Skype with Uni Dahl (CEO at House on Fire) and Linda Randazzo (The lead programmer), it was exciting.
They told me several times that Thomas is excited about the project and I’m really happy about it.
The official Italian translator of The Silent Age (Giulia Cresti) is working hard to have the best possible translation for all native English speakers (which will be completely rewritten) and then supervised by two other people.

In this project, people interest is fundamental. You are all part of the project. for anything please contact me, I have also recently updated the website. See you soon and a virtual hug to all!  Heart

WEBSITE
https://sites.google.com/view/theresearchage/home
FUND THE PROJECT
http://sostieni.link/25694
SOCIAL
https://www.facebook.com/The-Research-Age-101299968296920/
https://twitter.com/research_age

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I was away for a bit so finished the game just now.

As I called earlier we came back to the whole “protagonist started the whole event” but it wasn’t the whole solution, and the game didn’t end there. Though personally I would’ve just stayed in the future to be sure.

The doctor gave a lot of time travel rules to the player, but they weren’t really explained. While I would have wanted more thorough explanations, it does fit that Joe isn’t questioning them. He’s kind of simple and the doctor has been investigating the thing for decades. But oh my god on just burning his books, seriously. There were wooden furniture and damn lamps to move around, Joe. You weirdo.

Puzzlewise here and there I felt a bit frustrated, feeling them to be a bit too much of road blocks, but they weren’t bad and mostly not as silly as ch.6. The house was an atmospheric place and it was good to be back in Archon.

As for the ending. I would have wanted to hear Joe’s thoughts about all of it. I can guess his motives for not yapping about time travel and the end of the world - there was a reason to destroy the whole project and on a personal level who’d like to be locked up in a psych ward. But still, what were his thoughts exactly?

Also, the ending really didn’t explain everything. Avian flu my ass. People were dying basically standing up leaving behind charred-like remains. It was something much faster and deadlier. I mean, definitely those travelers could also have the avian flu and the people of 2012 are just clueless, but of course there is also the possibility that the conspiracy ranting time traveler wasn’t completely off.

So did the deadly virus die in the cryo-chambers? Maybe Joe didn’t bring it back at all (only the avian flu) and it would have been Frank bringing it back for drinking some weird ass future water?

Anyway, I thought the ending was pretty good. Much better than just having Joe start the exctinction event and roll credits, because that would have been too obvious.

Joe’s personality isn’t just a bit simple. It seems he is kind of detached too. Surely he was horrified of all the bodies, but he’s really bouncing back to “normal” from whatever he encounters, it seems. So, maybe he is a bit of a psychopath (I don’t mean like a deranged killer or anything, just someone a bit flatter emotional scale.)

Thanks for the playthrough.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The_Research_Age, with all due respect, maybe you have something to say about the actual game or other people’s thoughts on it? Because right now it looks like you used this playthrough thread exclusively to promote your fan game.

millenia - 05 July 2020 02:52 PM

Also, the ending really didn’t explain everything. Avian flu my ass. People were dying basically standing up leaving behind charred-like remains. It was something much faster and deadlier. I mean, definitely those travelers could also have the avian flu and the people of 2012 are just clueless, but of course there is also the possibility that the conspiracy ranting time traveler wasn’t completely off.

This also bothered me, the explanation felt just too simple and uneven. And I couldn’t get rid of the feeling that the whole ward ending was staged specially for Joe and he was never told the truth.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Millenia,
There was some paperwork by the scientists which explained that the virus may have been affected by time travel.  I assumed that Joe went so far ahead in time that there was a mutation of the avian flu that made it more deadly.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top