• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

do traditional adventures (2D) become a rarity

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

I don’t think they will because for indie developers with less resources they have to be one of the easiest to make. They don’t have to worry about Complex physics, AI, particularly good graphics or even voice acting. There’s still a niche, which will buy, which is attractive for indie developers.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

almost a year since this thread had been made.

i think now the point is crystal clear, and more no arguing is needed ?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

...what was the point again?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 23 May 2017 11:22 PM

...what was the point again?

hmm.. the title

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

And the answer is: No, they don’t?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 24 May 2017 12:37 AM

And the answer is: No, they don’t?

you again, mr genre.
forget it. Cool

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I posted a list of 2D traditional games last November. It was big. I can update it to make it bigger if you like, but somehow I don’t think that would convince you that 2D adventurers aren’t the poor, downtrodden and forgotten outcasts that you want them to be.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

talk percentage, not listing… are they above 50%, 2017?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ah but now you’ve changed the topic, haven’t you?

“do GOOD traditional adventures (2D) become a rarity?”

They have always been a rarity.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

straighten your mind, traditional adventures (2D) were 100% of the genre, all the genre had at a time, so how much space they occupy nowaday, that’s the subject. so dont put words in my mouth!!
and that is enough, find someone else to pick on.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

At one stage in the 90s they were, at best, 75% of the genre. But they were also, at best, only 25% GOOD.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so? are you talking to yourself, or are really infected with the voice of these forums; i argue then i exist ?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m not sure what the point of this thread is.
There are certainly 2D 3rd person point-and-clicks being made.

Are they harder to find? Is the signal-to-noise ratio too low?

For a newbie looking for a “traditional” adventure game, I’d say yes—games are often miscategorized, or the categorization may be misleading—and it is a considerable problem when the person is new to games and doesn’t know where to go for advice.

A newbie could easily be recommended a “traditional-style” adventure by a friend, enjoy playing it, go looking for other games categorized as “adventure,” and end up finding a bunch of games that are nothing like what they want. The umbrella is too broad, and even a “point-and-click” can include unwanted arcade sequences (dead ends for people without the necessary dexterity) or the games might lack puzzles or some other feature of “traditional” adventure games that they were looking for. Even “sequels” like Lost Horizon 2 may include unwanted QTE’s that are dead ends or simply unwanted PITA. Instead of learning more effective ways of searching, a newbie might very well give up on adventure games entirely, thinking the “traditional” adventure game they’d enjoyed was a one-hit wonder.

More experienced gamers probably have the knowledge to know where to go for more complete information about games that are potential purchases. That doesn’t mean they’ll find much—especially if they have specific requirements—for example, a 2D or 2.5D point-and-click game with realistic or close-to-realistic pre-rendered background graphics that is not a casual. You want something like that, and your game selection is from the past.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2003-09-23

PM

Oscar - 24 May 2017 12:43 AM

I posted a list of 2D traditional games last November. It was big. I can update it to make it bigger if you like, but somehow I don’t think that would convince you that 2D adventurers aren’t the poor, downtrodden and forgotten outcasts that you want them to be.

Oscar - 24 May 2017 01:24 AM

Ah but now you’ve changed the topic, haven’t you?
“do GOOD traditional adventures (2D) become a rarity?”
They have always been a rarity.

Oscar - 24 May 2017 01:40 AM

At one stage in the 90s they were, at best, 75% of the genre. But they were also, at best, only 25% GOOD.

Okay, you posted a ‘big’ list of 2D traditional games, but, apparently, only about 25% of them would be good. (I would guess that it is even less than 25%.) So the list of good 2D traditional games is not so ‘big’. I think it can be assumed that Advie meant good traditional 2D games. Why would anyone be interested in bad games?

I, for one, miss good traditional 2D games even if they are looked on as an old style. The present-day AGs that are getting all the attention and financing are 3D with beautiful graphics and often interesting subject matter, but they suffer from unbelievable program bloat with hardware demands that require fast, hi-memory, hi-storage computers (forget laptops), have a tendency to cause nausea and dizziness (both factors ruling out a significant number of potential buyers) and sometimes awkward keyboard controls (think Syberia 3).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 24 May 2017 01:34 AM

find someone else to pick on.

Please Advie , a little more
I had enough of Virginia dose in other thread, keep him busy
Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top