• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieKeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Black Cube series free digital Artbook, or paper hardcover

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi! Christmas is coming soon, and I would like to share with you this artbook that I made last year in exclusivity for the subscribers of my Newsletter.

7 Years of the Black Cube series, Artbook
A space journey 7,000 million light years from Earth

You can now easily download the PDF version with this link:
https://bit.ly/35bIfH3
(directly from my server simonmesnard.fr, just click and download, no registration, no scam)

Or for those who prefer I have prepared a paper version on the self-publishing book Lulu.com:
https://www.lulu.com/en/en/shop/simon-mesnard/7-years-of-the-black-cube-series-artbook/hardcover/product-1vgm9jep.html

Available in English and French (both in the same book). If you’re a real fan of adventure games, I’m sure you won’t miss this Laughing  I hope you enjoy!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi! Forgive me if I am very active on the forums lately to talk of my games, I hope it doesn’t look like spam. There has been some news again that I would like to share with you:

First of all it’s the last hours to get ASA, Catyph, Boinihi and Myha at the best possible price for this year on FireFlower Games:
https://fireflowergames.com/news/black-cube-lockdown-sale

Then Klemens Koehring (voice actor of Boinihi) made me the surprise of posting 2 video clips that summarize his work on Boinihi, and I think they’re great. If you have not played the game it might help you decide if you want to get it or not?

Video 1: Hero Astronaut scenes

Video 2: Boinihi Hermit scenes

Klemens is a true professional actor and has been working on several games, including Catyph in the past, and more recently Dark Nights with Poe & Munro (if you’re curious you can see him on the game cover, on the left).

Finally, don’t miss the free digital artbook in my previous post above. I don’t know for how long it will remain online (there is a high possibility that the link won’t work in a few years)

It’s not just a PDF with screenshots from the game, I really took the time to pick the best views and sort them in several themes/chapters, write original texts and descriptions, include new and bonus content… 130 pages of space adventure!

I really hope that you like it, and don’t hesitate to let me know if it helped you to have a better understanding of the whole Black Cube series! I feel a little lonely in my threads as there are usually very few questions about my work (except in the CPT thread recently. Thanks!), so I have no idea if you find interesting or not.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi Simon, I have to be very honest & say that 1st person + sci-fi + puzzle-orientated is usually the combination I avoid but your games rate well & also as they’re offered with a generous discount at the mo (thank you) I’ll have a go!  Smile

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi chrissie! Thanks for the message, very apreciated!
Oh yes, if that’s the kind of combo that you prefer to avoid, there is less chance that you will have a lot of fun, but I still cross my fingers.
I would suggest that you start with Boinihi first, as it is the most recent game and is in 3rd person globally. It looks more like a traditional adventure game than the others, even if there are still puzzles to solve however…
Please let us know what you thought after playing!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 09 November 2020 04:35 AM

Oh yes, if that’s the kind of combo that you prefer to avoid, there is less chance that you will have a lot of fun, but I still cross my fingers.

In my experience, a good game is a good game, even if it’s in a combo you generally don’t like.

I’m not a fan of slideshow first-person Myst-style games either, but I very much enjoyed the CPT of ASA: A Space Adventure.

And I’ve always enjoyed an in-depth “behind the scenes” look inside the developer’s mind and process, so I’ve always enjoyed Simon’s talks here. And I like the art, so thanks for the book, Simon! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks TimovieMan! Good to read that you still remember the ASA CPT and liked it despite not being fond of the style initially.
We talked about it before but if Boinihi won the votes for a future CPT, I’d be happy to participate again!

Are there still some Myst-like fans on the forums?

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Simon_ASA - 09 November 2020 09:59 AM

*Raises hand*  Most definitely!  (I’ve played all the Mac versions of Myst except the very first one.)  I love big open worlds with lots of places to explore and puzzles to solve.  I really enjoyed playing ASA in our CP, and Catyph is moving up in my play-soon pile.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Me too. I loved ASA but struggled with Myha, which really made me feel stupid. Never did finish it but I thought I would give Boinihi a go.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Ah, good to know that you still enjoy Myst style adventures Grin

@Lady Kestrel, If you have the opportunity to play Catyph, I would suggest that you play the Light Edition. It is the newest version and I removed a feature that others around here didn’t like a lot (“Blue Matter” with a system of points). But of course you can try the original experience too, and then you’ll benefit of a more complete and more challenging game, with video transitions.

@furgotten, Ah sorry that you didn’t like Myha, and don’t feel stupid if you struggled with it!! I know that all adventurers around here are the most passionate and clever players in games! I often try to insist on the fact that each Black Cube game is different of the others, and it’s true, you can enjoy one and not another! Myha specifically is the only one in full 3d and it makes it sometimes more difficult to find the clues and item. Besides I wasn’t the creator of the puzzles so they are somewhat different. Some people prefer it, others don’t… Depends on your tastes Smile

Boinihi is, according to me, the easiest of the series and the story takes you more by the hand. It remains however a good challenge and not all gamers would complete it! But compared to ASA it’s a piece of cake Smile

By the way, on Lulu.com I just saw that there is currently a discount, so if anyone is interested in my artbook being printed, don’t miss it:
10% off orders of all print products | Use Code: READ10 | Ends November 13th at 11:59 PM UTC

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Simon_ASA - 09 November 2020 09:59 AM

First person point-and-click adventure games were the adventure games I started with.
If I have any “nostalgia” for adventure games it’s for this type.

I am somewhat out of practice with being able to predict screen exits are likely to be.
I used to be a whole lot better at it.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi everyone!

The famous French magazine 3DVF (that I have been reading for almost 20 years) has published an interview about my work and the Black Cube series.

https://www.3dvf.com/redaction/jeu-independant-rencontre-avec-simon-mesnard-et-sa-saga-the-black-cube/

It was written this Summer before I announced a stop in the series, but I think it could still be interesting.

Unfortunately it is written in French, but I’m sure that you can have a pretty good translation with https://www.deepl.com/translator

I hope that you find it interesting! I don’t really remember what I talked about as it was written quite long ago now Smile

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I am an idiot, I forgot to give the link in my previous post. Updated Grin

It would seem that it is automatically translated to English for some people, so it’s even easier to read it Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top